The death metal appreciation thread part deux

Melodeath metal, and one of my favorite albums of 2017. The music is just epic:

I've been listening to Mithras's album from last year lately. it's got that repetitive-but-slightly-twisty or off quality that I like

I blame wok for my recent marked increased intake of weirdo metal

(probably not technically appropriate for a death metal thread, but still)

Reactions: wok
Melodeath metal, and one of my favorite albums of 2017. The music is just epic:

I like the juxtaposition of pretty guitar melodies with vocals that follow no note. Would it really ruin the music to have a Dio-like falsetto over this type of music? I am sincerely confused about the appeal of that particular vocal style. Understandably it's a tradition now, and somewhat of a cliche. And if the lyrics are not about evil and mayhem, it just seems even sillier. I guess I'm getting old (although I saw all of the bands that started that vocal style back in the day).

Sorry, just leaking my uncensored thoughts. Probably the wrong thread to express this though.

I've been listening to Mithras's album from last year lately. it's got that repetitive-but-slightly-twisty or off quality that I like

I really like this.

except for the vocals. I could maybe get over it for this band though.

I like the juxtaposition of pretty guitar melodies with vocals that follow no note. Would it really ruin the music to have a Dio-like falsetto over this type of music? I am sincerely confused about the appeal of that particular vocal style. Understandably it's a tradition now, and somewhat of a cliche. And if the lyrics are not about evil and mayhem, it just seems even sillier. I guess I'm getting old (although I saw all of the bands that started that vocal style back in the day).

Sorry, just leaking my uncensored thoughts. Probably the wrong thread to express this though.
heh, it's funny that you mention the Mithras vocals - I also really like that album except for the vocals (although the vocals are growing on me), but for the opposite reason - they're too clear/comprehensible. I think that because of the tradition you refer to, I've basically come to expect to listen to death metal vocals in a very different way than I listen to other vocals. They're sort of another instrument, and can be expressive, or provide ambiance, etc, but they're not about conveying words for me; so when I can actually make out the lyrics, it's sort of weirdly off-putting, or at least at unexpected, and takes some getting used to.

heh, it's funny that you mention the Mithras vocals - I also really like that album except for the vocals (although the vocals are growing on me), but for the opposite reason - they're too clear/comprehensible. I think that because of the tradition you refer to, I've basically come to expect to listen to death metal vocals in a very different way than I listen to other vocals. They're sort of another instrument, and can be expressive, or provide ambiance, etc, but they're not about conveying words for me; so when I can actually make out the lyrics, it's sort of weirdly off-putting, or at least at unexpected, and takes some getting used to.

Hey Yabba, you still in Pasadena? Ever go to Altadena Ale House? Funny cause they recently blocked all metal on their jukebox.

Hey Yabba, you still in Pasadena? Ever go to Altadena Ale House? Funny cause they recently blocked all metal on their jukebox.
Nope! I'm in Chicago. don't think I ever went to the Altadena Ale House, but it sounds like an absolute pile of crap. (kidding, I can totally get not having metal on a bar jukebox)

This song was one of the first death metal songs I knew, when I saw the video for the first time I was shocked how skinny the vocalist was.

New Portal song. Weirdly they seem to have gone back to their weird old style instead of their recent downtuned heaviness

apologies for spamming this thread so much lately, especially with non-new stuff, but I have been on a real death metal tear lately..

I really dug their first album years back and never got around to checking out this one; it's similarly good!

apologies for spamming this thread so much lately, especially with non-new stuff, but I have been on a real death metal tear lately..

I really dug their first album years back and never got around to checking out this one; it's similarly good!

Beastly album!

Back