The Day Of The Message Board

tompetty

Sporting a hammer...
Not being an ass here but am generally curious. I think most here came from or have heard of a message board called HC..Around ten years ago you would grab your drink of choice and sit down on a Saturday evening for a night of entertainment. The threads would be flowing like wine. It would be nothing to start a thread and have it be on page two in a couple hours..Another spin off forum from HC is LR(I'm sure most know),and if you go there I think there's been two posts in the past month..

Questions.....Are forums becoming a thing of the past?
Is there something that has taken its place??

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
Gonna get ready to go visit my 83 yr old Dad who took a stroke a few days ago..

Guess I'll check back much later for further considerations..

yes things have taken their place for a lot of people....FACEBRO AND SOCIAL MEDIA. Forums will never go away but stuff like reddit and Facebook and all the other countless places where one can press a like button or a share button have taken up a lot of peoples attention spans

yes, mojo to you and your Dad and the rest of your family.

What's LR?

In the beginning, there was HCGJ (Harmony Central Guitar Jam).

LR (Live Ruckus) was a splinter forum created to accommodate some racist homophobic xenophobic cretins who had properly been banned from HC. Some of their friends either followed, or contributed to both forums.

Facebook and Twitter/Tumblr/Reddit/Instagaram/Snapchat/etc have taken over a lot of forum traffic, but specialized forums will likely be around for a long time. Most social media platforms are for short-term and "trending" content, while many forums have more of a community and archival purpose.

Facebook and Twitter/Tumblr/Reddit/Instagaram/Snapchat/etc have taken over a lot of forum traffic, but specialized forums will likely be around for a long time. Most social media platforms are for short-term and "trending" content, while many forums have more of a community and archival purpose.

Yeah. I think one of the real questions is what led us to GJ in the first place. For me, I think it was gear reviews. Now people go to YouTube.

Prayers and mojo for your daddy brother.

I still post at least once at HC during the weekdays. LR, that crazy fucker gave me admin privileges there for a period. In all I read and post on 13 other guitar forums and Facebook daily. Plus read about gear, music, tabs, etc.

Yeah. I think one of the real questions is what led us to GJ in the first place. For me, I think it was gear reviews. Now people go to YouTube.

For me it was a forum attached to the then largest free tablature/sheet music archive, OLGA. I noticed the link for HC on the page and clicked on it. This was back in the old pre-forum days when it was like a giant list of topics rather than threads. It was even before the place went purple the first time around. I guess it was 1995-6 or so???? It sort of looked like craigslist when you view it without the pictures.

one thing i've noticed about the forums i still look at - a scarcity of younger members.

back in the heyday of HC there was a wide diversity in the ages of the members, and the youngsters had no qualms about digging in with the old folks. to me, and based on my limited sample size, forums seem to be skewing older, and as we get older there are other things that need doing rather than spending endless hours at the computer.

And the sizable international contingent that was on HC seems to have dissipated as well.

one thing i've noticed about the forums i still look at - a scarcity of younger members.

back in the heyday of HC there was a wide diversity in the ages of the members, and the youngsters had no qualms about digging in with the old folks. to me, and based on my limited sample size, forums seem to be skewing older, and as we get older there are other things that need doing rather than spending endless hours at the computer.

And the sizable international contingent that was on HC seems to have dissipated as well.

Well, I mean... We've been part of the same community for a long time now.

I joined HC when I was about 13 or 14. Now I'm in my 30s.

Back