The damndest thing...

Steverino

black sheep
I have a little 2002 S10 Xtreme. It was my DD for a few years until I got the ST. I took good care of it, put a ton of work, money and parts into it after I stopped driving it as much (it's now got close to 250K on it). I got it ready to sell, new tires, tune up, lots of little things. Just as I was about to list it on CL, the youngest daughter totaled her new little Kia and needed a ride. So, off it went, I didn't see it much for 7-8 months.

One day, she called and said it had a problem, wouldn't go into gear, clutch pedal was going to the floor. Slave cylinder I suspected, which is a BIG job in these damn trucks as the whole tranny has to come out. I told her I'd have it picked up, but that was my last vehicle I had to loan out. Thankfully, someone at her church gave her a loaner. The S10 has been sitting in my driveway ever since, about 6 months while I procrastinate and try to figure out what to do with it, as the cost of repair practically offsets it's value.

I'd go out every couple of weeks to start it, let it warm up. It's a bone-stock Xtreme, and they're getting rare as most of them have been wrecked, stripped, altered for V8s, the racetrack or hydraulics beyond the point of no return to stock.

Monday, it wouldn't start, battery was dead. The longer it sits, the more stuff starts to fail and it just keeps deteriorating. I jumped it off and let it warm up. I notice the ABS light is now on, F**k!!

I poke around under the hood and pop lid off the clutch master cylinder. It was low, so I topped it off with some DOT3. Just for kicks, I sat in the driver's seat and pushed on the clutch. No change; no resistance, right to the floor, can't put it in gear. I started pushing up and down on the clutch pedal. Again and again, till my left leg started to ache so I switched over to the right. Pump, pump, pump. 100 times. Damn if I didn't start to feel the pedal harden up, more and more. Shit! I grabbed the shifter and eased it into 1st. Whoa! Eased out the clutch, and she rolled forward. Put it in reverse, and backed it out, first time it's moved under it's own power for months. Hell, I took it for a ride :embarrassed:

The next day, I checked it. Still got pressure, the clutch pedal still working. Still working this morning. I guess I need to park it somewhere where I can see if the hydraulic system is leaking, or throw a piece of cardboard under there.

So what I thought was the EOL for my S10 was probably my ignorance of manual transmissions and their hydraulics. I'm checking RockAuto for a new clutch MC.

I have a little 2002 S10 Xtreme. It was my DD for a few years until I got the ST. I took good care of it, put a ton of work, money and parts into it after I stopped driving it as much (it's now got close to 250K on it). I got it ready to sell, new tires, tune up, lots of little things. Just as I was about to list it on CL, the youngest daughter totaled her new little Kia and needed a ride. So, off it went, I didn't see it much for 7-8 months.

One day, she called and said it had a problem, wouldn't go into gear, clutch pedal was going to the floor. Slave cylinder I suspected, which is a BIG job in these damn trucks as the whole tranny has to come out. I told her I'd have it picked up, but that was my last vehicle I had to loan out. Thankfully, someone at her church gave her a loaner. The S10 has been sitting in my driveway ever since, about 6 months while I procrastinate and try to figure out what to do with it, as the cost of repair practically offsets it's value.

I'd go out every couple of weeks to start it, let it warm up. It's a bone-stock Xtreme, and they're getting rare as most of them have been wrecked, stripped, altered for V8s, the racetrack or hydraulics beyond the point of no return to stock.

Monday, it wouldn't start, battery was dead. The longer it sits, the more stuff starts to fail and it just keeps deteriorating. I jumped it off and let it warm up. I notice the ABS light is now on, F**k!!

I poke around under the hood and pop lid off the clutch master cylinder. It was low, so I topped it off with some DOT3. Just for kicks, I sat in the driver's seat and pushed on the clutch. No change; no resistance, right to the floor, can't put it in gear. I started pushing up and down on the clutch pedal. Again and again, till my left leg started to ache so I switched over to the right. Pump, pump, pump. 100 times. Damn if I didn't start to feel the pedal harden up, more and more. Shit! I grabbed the shifter and eased it into 1st. Whoa! Eased out the clutch, and she rolled forward. Put it in reverse, and backed it out, first time it's moved under it's own power for months. Hell, I took it for a ride :embarrassed:

The next day, I checked it. Still got pressure, the clutch pedal still working. Still working this morning. I guess I need to park it somewhere where I can see if the hydraulic system is leaking, or throw a piece of cardboard under there.

So what I thought was the EOL for my S10 was probably my ignorance of manual transmissions and their hydraulics. I'm checking RockAuto for a new clutch MC.

you may not have a leak. that does evaporate over time. your daughter may have just not known to make sure the reservoir was full and it got low and suck some air into the lines, hence soft pedal. just sayn'.

I remember the Extreme fondly. Sharp little truck.

IMG_2587.JPG

you may not have a leak. that does evaporate over time. your daughter may have just not known to make sure the reservoir was full and it got low and suck some air into the lines, hence soft pedal. just sayn'.

I slid a piece of cardboard underneath, so far no leaks. I'm beginning to think the MC is leaking internally. Looks like an easy fix, WAY easier and far cheaper than pulling the freakin' trans. Here's hoping I've dodged a bullet.

Bleed the clutch, like bleeding brakes.

Back