The cost of not working out.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Due to some RSIs being exacerbated by exercise I stopped lifting. In six weeks I went down a pants size. So I bought new jeans. Now I’ve gone down another pants size. All the money I’m not spending on a gym membership is going to buy pants. On the upside, I’ve discovered that running in the snow is fun.

I haven't exercised in over a year, since my last surgery and treatments. I couple of years ago, I could do marathons. Now, not so much.

This might be the first time in my life I've felt genuinely out of shape.

2015, though, right?

Due to some RSIs being exacerbated by exercise I stopped lifting. In six weeks I went down a pants size. So I bought new jeans. Now I’ve gone down another pants size. All the money I’m not spending on a gym membership is going to buy pants. On the upside, I’ve discovered that running in the snow is fun.

I just did a 4 mile run on a trail with about 3 - 4" of snow on it. You do have to concentrate on the trail a bit more...but yeah. It's fun.

I had the reverse cost of not working out.

239. Ew.

Today was Day #1 of cleaning it up. My goal is 220 by March 21st.

The second half of 2014 was tough on my health.

I received an involuntary transfer at my work, causing a lot of stress and anxiety. Although it's going well, I am still extremely uncomfortable and work long hours.

I've had eleven friends, co-workers, and acquaintances pass away this year, including some good friends. Really really sad. I've never had so many friends pass away before. My cat also passed away.

I have really bad, severe tennis elbow since about August. Despite never playing tennis. I am going to O.T. for it now.

I discovered I am prediabetic a short while ago, and have immediately begun changing my diet so I don't become diabetic. I'm also Vitamin D deficient, so I'm addressing that too.

I have patellofemoral pain syndrome in my right knee, which I've had since November. In plain English, this means that my kneecap doesn't track, so it pops and clicks and hurts. I also appear to have a torn meniscus. I am getting an MRI later today to see what is going on. I currently have great pain, have difficulty walking on uneven surfaces, up or down stairs, etc. One week, I could do ten mile hikes; the next, I could barely walk. So between my left elbow, my left knee starting to hurt presumably due to compensating for the right knee, and chronic lower back pain, just about my whole body except for my right arm is in pain.

We had a plumbing disaster that spewed tons of filthy crap water into four rooms of our house. The main drain had clogged, and was breached, with holes, branches, etc. This cost $13,000 to fix because we had to replace all the drain lines, so I have little money.

Despite these things, I just keep forging forward. It is difficult to do cardiovascular stuff and fit it all in, but I gotta keep moving forward. Long-term health is too important not to do otherwise, I believe.

Just like last year at this time, my riding has been reduced to almost nothing thanks to a few weeks illness and now rain. I was really gaining some great fitness mid-November, too.

Time to damn near start from scratch which isn't easy once you've passed 50. :mad: My plans to ride the MS-150 this year may evaporate.

I was losing weight a lot more quickly when I was eating a very, very strict diet, and only doing cardio.

Now I'm a little more flexible with my eating and doing CrossFit; I'm still consistently losing, but I'm getting stronger, getting fitter. Seeing the scale keep going down was a great feeling, but my body wasn't changing. Now that my body is I feel so much better, all the time.

Back