the changing state of your gear collection

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
as some of you know, i'm looking to reduce the amount of gear i have so i can focus more of my time on fewer instruments. i've been fortunate over the years to have come into owning some pretty rad stuff (IMO). i was at a high of 67 guitars (gag....) to tonight where i'm boxing up another guitar that will ship out tomorrow and leave me with 35 guitars. i would like to get down to 15 and stay there. it's getting very (VERY) hard for me to choose which ones to sell and which to keep that will become the 15 i hold onto.

thankfully i never got into amp collecting. ugh.

what's your story? are you growing the stable, shrinking the collection, or staying status quo while you rock out?

My collection has been shrinking steadily for years now. From thirty to less than 10. I think I'm happier. The quality of my collection has certainly increased, as has that of my amps and pedals. :)

Last edited:
I've been trying to sell more stuff than I buy. Still have a few things to go, but nothing like the dollars you're talking. I'm really happy with what I have. It's just a matter of doing it justice.

It's always interesting to me how often you get serious guitar collecting junkies or guys into amps, but rarely huge collections of both.

I'm a little in both camps I suppose.

I'm down to about 15 guitars from a peak of 25. I'll probably sell a few more in the next year. Amps - I've always had about 5-6.

Mine has been slowly expanding lately, and it's raising some questions of quantity vs quality for me...also issues of self-control and appropriateness... especially considering a somewhat puzzling lack of inspiration...

I'm up to 10 and three or four amps...all of the guitars are budget level as are the amps...the debate now is whether or not to liquify most of it and get one or two better instruments and a good amp...or whether to dump a couple less used pieces and call it done...

Either way I feel like I need to make some kind of a change...

Due to circumstances I am down to two guitars.....one electric and one acoustic. I need another electric as a back up for my gigs though....

It's always interesting to me how often you get serious guitar collecting junkies or guys into amps, but rarely huge collections of both.

I'm a little in both camps I suppose.

so true. i would have loved to collect amps, but it comes down to space and maintenance for me. amps take up a lot of room, and they require regular maintenance beyond what i'm comfortable doing myself. tube amps need to be played regularly in order to perform at their best, and i can't manage more than 3-4 tube amps without feeling like i'm woefully neglecting an amp to the point where it's going to need service before i can play it again.

i'm very comfortable doing routine set-ups on guitars, so i don't have a problem with them sitting around for longer stretches. but that's just me. YMMV.

The collection is not shrinking. Nothing I would be willing to sell is worth enough to bother.

I have a few favorites but I genuinely enjoy playing all of them. I don't have any case queens.

I have two good amps. I wouldn't mind more but it's not a priority. I really like the two I have and I play more than 50% acoustic anyway.

Holding steady right now. I haven't bought anything in a while. Basically 3 electrics (tele, strat, Viking 335 type), Two acoustics (one nice, one beach guitar), a guitalele i also use on the beach or take hiking, a bass, two guitar amps, one bass amp. Various pedals.

Mine has been slowly expanding lately, and it's raising some questions of quantity vs quality for me...also issues of self-control and appropriateness... especially considering a somewhat puzzling lack of inspiration...

I'm up to 10 and three or four amps...all of the guitars are budget level as are the amps...the debate now is whether or not to liquify most of it and get one or two better instruments and a good amp...or whether to dump a couple less used pieces and call it done...

Either way I feel like I need to make some kind of a change...
So if you downsized, what would you have in mind?

I have seven guitars (4 electric, 3 acoustic) and probably won’t buy another any time soon. I only have two basses and would like to ditch the Thunderbird for an ESP P-bass style model. My amps are tiny, but I don’t have time to play outside of playing at home alone, so that won’t change until the kids are older.

I would have said that I was holding steady, but while out on the West Coast, in July, I killed some time by going to a local GC. I saw a Strat with "Vintage Noiseless" pups and since I'd never heard them before I tried it out through a '65 Deluxe Reverb RI. I've now added the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat and the '65 Deluxe Reverb RI to the stable. That makes 14 guitars (including a bass) and 10 amps (including a bass amp). The nice thing is that along the way, I have also been able to give away some gear to people in need.

Back