The Case for Bad Coffee

They have a relatively new product called clover blends that are supposedly small batch roasted beans, primarily single origin, ground and brewed per customer that is actually good. The roast levels are far under the typical charbucks

I’ll give it a try the next time I get to Starbucks.

We buy Publix Epresso grind for 2-3 bucks a bag. Run it thru a plain old drip coffee maker. Makes a good strong decent pot. Good bang for buck.
I'll also buy 8 o'clock and grind it in the store if I can find it.

There is nothing wrong with Folgers made in a drip brewer as long as it's held in a vacuum pot and not over a burner. That's really the problem with most restaurant coffee -- it's been sitting over heat. My everyday coffee at work has normally been a mass=market coffee, and it's quite acceptble. On the weekends, I grind beans (either Sumatra, Harrar or Peet's Major Dickason) and pour hot water over it through a melitta. Of course, the weekend coffee is more flavorful, but the weekday stuff does the job just fine.

We have the worst coffee at work. It's coffee concentrate that comes in a bag and get mixed with water to bring it back to it's former natural coffee state. In the bag it's thick like syrup. Takes a lot of cream and sugar to make it drinkable. It's the free stuff. If you want to go into a restaurant and pay for coffee you can get better.

$6-10 beans, a grinder and a Mr Coffee.

Maxwell House is fine for when the power is out and I am brewing coffee over a camp stove. It is the taste of a miserable morning without a shower.

Follow up on the Starbucks Clover

The selection of varieties and turn over depend on the location. The pricing can also vary by individual variety. Of the clovers I had, none would qualify as charbucks

The biggest quality issue is the cleanliness of the clover machine and the attentiveness of the staff. The machine needs to be cleaned regularly and the spent grounds probably should not sit in the machine long after the last cup was brewed. Both seem to have a big impact on the quality of the brewed coffee. Considering the higher price of the cup, it has been a dealbreaker for me.

I drink good coffee and bad coffee every weekday. I make good coffee at home, fill my travel mug and drink it on the way to work. I have a cup of bad coffee after lunch at work.

I used to drink Starbucks French roast, but a friend of mine recommended Peet's and Vermont Coffee Co. I did a taste-off where I brewed a cup of each (cleaned out the grinder between brands) and drank them side-by side. I liked Vt the best, Starbucks second, and Peet's the least. People are right, the Starbucks did taste a bit burnt. So, now I drink Vt. extra dark roast. As a bonus, I buy it at the supermarket so I no longer have to make a separate trip to Starby's.

Everyone who buys coffee at work seems to think that Starbucks is the pinnacle of coffee making. I'll drink it, but it's not what I really like.

At home I drink McDs coffee. It among the best cheap coffees.

We usually have chock full o nuts here at chez 2man. Brewed fairly strong in a vacuum-carafe drip style coffee maker. ( no hot plate)

Thats about as much effort as Im willing to put into coffee.

I very much agree with the vibe of the article. Its what youre doing that matters, not what youre consuming.

I wonder if that helps with the hot garbage taste that is CFoN.
I remember getting a coffee at a Chock Full of Nuts location across from the theater where Cats was playing in the 80s. I watched an older woman pick up the big sugar pourer. First she poured some in her coffee, then, into the beaded hat she wore, then inside the front of her dress. That was when I realized how the place got named...:embarrassed:

I thought the coffee was pretty good. Not as good as the espresso in the Village, though. :hippie:

Back