The Case for Bad Coffee

It made me realize there's no sense sweating the small stuff. And most of what we talk about here is the small stuff. :grin:

It's one of the really beautiful ironies of life. You're right not to sweat the small stuff, but the small stuff is often what makes life worth living.

Some people are fine with instant coffee.

I'm one :Wave: I guess I don't have refined tastebuds. I can tell the difference between a good cup of coffee and an ok one, just the same as I can between a good bottle of wine and and ok one. However generally I don't see that $18/lb coffee is worth the money and fuss (same thing for wine, I've found great $6 wines and had ok $30 wines). So I'd rather save my money and have the convenience that instant gives me. Strangely I prefer good single malts and craft beer, but I don't have either of those in the same quantity as coffee so it's worth the better taste for the times I do drink them.

Bad is defined as non-Arabica, mass produced, possibly instant coffee. Take your pick of major grocery store brands. Personally, I think Starbucks tastes bad because they burn their beans, but it doesn't fit the "bad coffee" definition as described in the article.

Burnt coffee is bad coffee. Starbucks buys vast quantities of coffee around the world. A lot of it is garbage. So there’s no way to blend it and get a consistently strong flavor. Unless they burn the beans. Burnt coffee tastes the same no matter where you buy it. As customers grow up they catch on. But there will always be another generation of dumb young customers who just want to overpay for a case of the jitters.

I'm not a fan of Starbucks's product, but I'm perfectly happy to pay extra from them due to the company's politics, efforts, policies, and its treatment of employees. All else being equal.

I'm not a fan of Starbucks's product, but I'm perfectly happy to pay extra from them due to the company's politics, efforts, policies, and its treatment of employees. All else being equal.
They have a relatively new product called clover blends that are supposedly small batch roasted beans, primarily single origin, ground and brewed per customer that is actually good. The roast levels are far under the typical charbucks

They have a relatively new product called clover blends that are supposedly small batch roasted beans, primarily single origin, ground and brewed per customer that is actually good. The roast levels are far under the typical charbucks

:hmm:

1c6ca3ff39e02dc56f36dbd03041a38c.jpg

"The best cup of coffee I ever had was the dirty Viennese blend my teenage friends and I would sip out of chipped ceramic mugs at a cafe near the University of Cincinnati while smoking clove cigarettes and listening to Sisters of Mercy records, imagining what it would be like to be older than we were. The best cup of coffee was the one I enjoyed alone each morning during my freshman year at Ohio State, huddled in the back of a Rax restaurant reading the college paper and dealing with the onset of an anxiety disorder that would never quite be cured."

....that touches on something I've always found pretty fascinating; how many times really about the context of the experience rather than the individual cup of coffee, glass of beer/wine, meal, or whatever. That experience only exists in that moment. There can be other moments where you experience that alignment but none will be the same.

"The best cup of coffee I ever had was the dirty Viennese blend my teenage friends and I would sip out of chipped ceramic mugs at a cafe near the University of Cincinnati while smoking clove cigarettes and listening to Sisters of Mercy records, imagining what it would be like to be older than we were. The best cup of coffee was the one I enjoyed alone each morning during my freshman year at Ohio State, huddled in the back of a Rax restaurant reading the college paper and dealing with the onset of an anxiety disorder that would never quite be cured."

....that touches on something I've always found pretty fascinating; how many times really about the context of the experience rather than the individual cup of coffee, glass of beer/wine, meal, or whatever. That experience only exists in that moment. There can be other moments where you experience that alignment but none will be the same.

In search of lost time, are you?

Back