The Case for Bad Coffee

Interesting. But I actually like Chock Full o Nuts.
I kind of went through this. I tried everything I could get my hands on, expensive, cheap, didn't matter.
I finally put away the press and just order online. My guilty pleasure is Valhalla Java from Death Wish. But I've found through all this that I really like Tim Horton's and Amazon has it for a decent price.
I still say coffee is like liquor, if you're going to put a bunch of shit in it, just buy the cheap stuff.

I drink my coffee black, and am quite content with whatever they serve at my local breakfast place. My stomach will not tolerate Starbucks. Of course, now, I am supposed to limit caffeine, so I just have one 12 ounce sup a day in the morning.

of course good coffee is better than shitty coffee, but I totally agree with the general sentiment of this article and definitely think there's a time and place for classic shitty coffee. (I think I've made this argument on this forum before)

I bought a small container of Maxwell House a couple of months ago, just to see how it tasted compared to the whole bean stuff I buy.

No comparison, really. The Maxwell House tasted weak and cheap, seriously.

Now, the whole bean coffee that Aldi's sells tastes pretty good, and it's only $3.99 for a 12 oz. bag.

Guys at work are gaga over McDonald's coffee. It leaves an oily residue in the filter basket of my Cuisinart coffee maker.

There are some passable mainstream/bad coffees. Maxwell House is not one of them. Maxwell House is to coffee what Wild Irish Rose is to wine. Except that Wild Irish Rose doesn't smell nauseating.

The problem is, who defines what "bad" coffee is? To me, Starbucks is bad. idn_smilie

Bad is defined as non-Arabica, mass produced, possibly instant coffee. Take your pick of major grocery store brands. Personally, I think Starbucks tastes bad because they burn their beans, but it doesn't fit the "bad coffee" definition as described in the article.

To me, there is a big difference between cheap coffee and instant coffee. I can drink stuff like Folgers or Maxwell House, but not if it is instant. The chemical smell of instant coffee turns me off before it even gets to my lips. I guess I don't equate cheap with bad.

To me, there is a big difference between cheap coffee and instant coffee. I can drink stuff like Folgers or Maxwell House, but not if it is instant. The chemical smell of instant coffee turns me off before it even gets to my lips. I guess I don't equate cheap with bad.

Folgers and Maxwell House have a different shitty smell. :embarrassed:

I haven't knowingly had either in many years, but I usually get breakfast at local breakfast/lunch places here in rural Massachusetts. I seriously doubt they are using high-priced coffee and it tastes and smells fine to me.

They're probably using Bunn coffee. During the week, I drink the Kirkland Colombian coffee that comes in the pre-measured pot sized packages. It's alright for the office.

Back