The Binge Thread

fd37144be98073c45bc391398a15d145.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to arrange this...

Wah
Tuner
Comp
Hoof
Boneshaker
Delay
Tremolo
Volume

Why volume last?
Also, what is the “tuner” jack on the volume pedal for?
Also, I wonder if I should run the delay and tremolo in the FX loop?

Why volume last?
Also, what is the “tuner” jack on the volume pedal for?
Also, I wonder if I should run the delay and tremolo in the FX loop?

I like my volume pedal last because I can control my input volume from the guitar and the overall volume from the pedal. You could also put it before the delay, which would make for some cool trails.

Don't use the tuner output on the volume pedal. It splits the signal and in doing so, sucks the life out of your tone.

4 cable method version:

Guitar ->
Wah
Tuner
Comp
Hoof
Boneshaker
-> Amp Input

Loop out ->
Delay
Tremolo
Volume ->
Loop in

I think I want my volume before the delay and verb so that I can do volume swells without having to ride the knob on the guitar.

Real talk: life will be so much less stressful if I just bite the bullet and install a power supply, right?

What do people like in the “dirt cheap” category?
I think that’s going to depend on what you need it for. If you’re a home player exclusively, I’d say look at Donner (I think it was about $40) or the other Asian makers. If you gig, you’ll likely want a more rugged build (which will also be more expensive, likely over $100). A top end unit like Voodoo Labs is expensive but will likely last a damn long time. I’d suggest maybe going on Sweetwater or another online retailer and searching for power supplies and read up a bit. When you fine a few you like look up some reviews and further narrow it down.
I’d suggest looking at an isolated supply as some pedals don’t play nice when sharing the circuit.
I bought one of the Donner units about 6 months ago and it has worked flawlessly so far. I am between bands at the moment so I haven’t gigged with it, so there’s that aspect too.

for power, I've used Voodoo Labs, T-Rex and Cioks. All three are good, but currently I am using the Cioks. Mainly because they are the only ones that will fit under my board.

The best cheap method is to buy two One Spots. If you're going to use your effects loop, you're likely to have a ground loop. Use one for the pedals in front of the amp and the other for the pedals in the loop. That's what I do when I run 4 cable method with my Mesa Subway Rocket. None of the inexpensive "isolated" products, like the Donner stuff, is actually isolated. So you're just buying a glorified One Spot. And, then you'll still have the ground loop issue.

Any issues with the 1Spot Pro CS7?

Get this. I've been looking at the CS12, but only because it has an AC out, which I need for my TZF.

The best cheap method is to buy two One Spots. If you're going to use your effects loop, you're likely to have a ground loop. Use one for the pedals in front of the amp and the other for the pedals in the loop. That's what I do when I run 4 cable method with my Mesa Subway Rocket. None of the inexpensive "isolated" products, like the Donner stuff, is actually isolated. So you're just buying a glorified One Spot. And, then you'll still have the ground loop issue.

Get this. I've been looking at the CS12, but only because it has an AC out, which I need for my TZF.
Cool, this is how I’m gonna go. I can get same day delivery, and save $50 over the Voodoo Labs box.

I don’t need an AC out.

Now... and this is a bit down the rabbit hole, I need to look at modding my wah to accept power from the supply.

I think that’s going to depend on what you need it for. If you’re a home player exclusively, I’d say look at Donner (I think it was about $40) or the other Asian makers. If you gig, you’ll likely want a more rugged build (which will also be more expensive, likely over $100). A top end unit like Voodoo Labs is expensive but will likely last a damn long time. I’d suggest maybe going on Sweetwater or another online retailer and searching for power supplies and read up a bit. When you fine a few you like look up some reviews and further narrow it down.
I’d suggest looking at an isolated supply as some pedals don’t play nice when sharing the circuit.
I bought one of the Donner units about 6 months ago and it has worked flawlessly so far. I am between bands at the moment so I haven’t gigged with it, so there’s that aspect too.
Thanks! I’m starting to play out a bit, so I basically want to buy once and not worry about it ever again.

Cool, this is how I’m gonna go. I can get same day delivery, and save $50 over the Voodoo Labs box.

I don’t need an AC out.

Now... and this is a bit down the rabbit hole, I need to look at modding my wah to accept power from the supply.

If it's an older one that may not be an option. You can try connecting it with a battery clip, but it might be too noisy.

It’s happening anyway, so I’m just going to outline some additional pedal acquisition goals while I’m on this binge.

- volume pedal (priority high) [DONE]
- synth (I want to be able to make 80’s analogue synth lead sounds) [STILL JONESING FOR]
- phaser (got my eye on the EQD Grand Orbiter) [NOW JONESING FOR SUBDECAY QUASAR DLX]
- Sunrise Preamp Buffer Box (for my acoustic) [NOT DOING - STICKING W/ MY LR BAGGS PARA ACOUSTIC DI]
- looper (I still have a boner for looping, and I don’t think it going to be satisfied just with the AC-33. Have my eye in the EHX 22500) [STILL JONESING FOR]
- tremolo (had this on my old amp, and I miss it... you know, just in case I feel like playing What’s The Frequency Kenneth) [DONE]

Just keeping track...

I may have to order some of those. Just buy 2 connectors for $4 and 6' cable for $2 just to see how good it is. Then buy more connectors if its worth it.

I just bought a 3 pack of 6" cables on Reverb for $9. Haven't plugged them in yet, but they seem decent. I redo my board too much for the solderless kind. I'll just destroy them.

Back