The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

Looking to replace the women's avocet touring II saddle on my "new" vintage touring bike.

3265A24D-5250-418C-B05B-3C90777C8019_zpsz7qttuee.jpg~original

The guys over at biketouringnews.com , a store specializing in touring/gravel/allroad type bikes, are trying to talk me into a leather one such as a brooks, gilles berthoud, etc. I am not buying it. Just never liked that style of saddle. And I am not purist enough.

I am thinking about one of: 1.) get the same period avocet for men (I also found a selle italia touring from the same time that looks identical, as they made the avocets back then), 2.) a WTB Rocket, which is a versatile saddle that I know I like. always comfortable, versatile, light enough, or 3.) a modern selle italia with a "taint" cut out. This would look "cooler" on this bike than a WTB I guess.

The vintage selle italia would be cheapest, and probably work fine. But would be heavy. The WTB is a no brainer in terms of comfort, but would not fit the "look" of the bike. (not sure if I care that much about that). The modern selle italias look nice but cost more, unless I get a heavier one. Thoughts? @Tig ? @rickenvox ? @nuke_diver or you other lot?

I also am pretty much set on replacing the very short stem and very narrow bars (though I really like the shape of these bars, with a longer Nitto stem (maybe 100mm), and a Nitto B135 rando bar that has a very similar shape to what is one there, but wider. 45cm at the drops, a little less wide at the corners due to the flare on the rando bars. I like the long flat on the drops on the current bars and these bars have that shape and hand position.

30C45C0D-FA67-488E-B0E7-AC5096DAC826_zpswmdffdzr.jpg~original

https://store.biketouringnews.com/nitto-grand-randonneur-b135/

This will put those bar enders out a bit too, so I won't be as apt to hit them with my knees while standing up on the pedals. The bell will go on the stem probably, and the computer will go away. I think it works, and maybe I will sell it on ebay. Will get new tape of course. Thinking about red to set off the logo paint. And new brake levers. TRP RRL's. The 105 levers just look wrong. Here is a link to a good pic, though I would buy elsewhere. Too expensive here. https://www.rivbike.com/collections...e-levers-silver-drilled-alloy-gum-hoods-15180

Last edited:
Again not an expert but this
2.) a WTB Rocket, which is a versatile saddle that I know I like. always comfortable, versatile, light enough,
would probably be the way I would go, since you already like it. I always hated those bar end shifters for the reason you mention.

I am thinking about one of: 1.) get the same period avocet for men (I also found a selle italia touring from the same time that looks identical, as they made the avocets back then), 2.) a WTB Rocket, which is a versatile saddle that I know I like. always comfortable, versatile, light enough, or 3.) a modern selle italia with a "taint" cut out. This would look "cooler" on this bike than a WTB I guess.

The vintage selle italia would be cheapest, and probably work fine. But would be heavy. The WTB is a no brainer in terms of comfort, but would not fit the "look" of the bike. (not sure if I care that much about that). The modern selle italias look nice but cost more, unless I get a heavier one. Thoughts? @Tig ? @rickenvox ? @nuke_diver or you other lot?

Seats are a very personal matter and comfort is probably your first priority. I don't think a leather Brooks matches the era of that bike anyway. Those Avocets were popular back then. The more padding the more surface area making contact with your ass and causing possible chafing or sores. WTBs are great, I have on on my mountain bike. If you already have experience with it then it sounds like a good option. I wouldn't worry about it not matching with a vintage bike. Fi'z:ik Arione is my current road saddle, they're really popular now (over Selle Italia) and comfortable if you're used to minimal saddles. It's all about your personal preference.

Seats are a very personal matter and comfort is probably your first priority. I don't think a leather Brooks matches the era of that bike anyway. Those Avocets were popular back then. The more padding the more surface area making contact with your ass and causing possible chafing or sores. WTBs are great, I have on on my mountain bike. If you already have experience with it then it sounds like a good option. I wouldn't worry about it not matching with a vintage bike. Fi'z:ik Arione is my current road saddle, they're really popular now (over Selle Italia) and comfortable if you're used to minimal saddles. It's all about your personal preference.

Yeah, I think I am just going with the WTB Rocket that I am used to, in the Pro model, so that it is lighter, and will be more muted in tone. No red accents on it.

I think I also figured out the bar I want. The Nitto B135. I found that I really like the current bar's characteristics and just want it wider. I like the long reach back of the drops, the shape, etc. And the B135 matches that. And it turns out these bars are Rando bars. SR Sakae "World Ranonneur". Just small. Only 38cm Center to Center on the drops, and 33cm hood to hood CtoC.

803604E1-EF4E-40A4-ACC5-EBFC498918FB_zps80wuvhfz.jpg~original

Also figured out tires. The Clement Strada LGG in a 700 x 32 looks light enough, strong enough, good price, and will be nice with the french tranny. :)

Reactions: Tig
Hey, you guys that are decent wrenchers, I want to start doing more of my own maintenance. Stuff like re-packing hubs, servicing headsets, pulling and servicing freewheels and cassettes, etc. Should I get a starter kit? or get more individual pieces? Seems like I need cone wrenches, the particular freewheel and/or cassette tools, a chain whip, some metric combo wrenches, maybe some 3 way hex wrenches to supplement the box of them I have, better cable cutters, and a better torque wrench. I have the long kind with the arm on it. I have some metric sockets, various regular home tools, etc. And small chain tools.

I have a good used shop style park stand.

I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend. Getting good park stuff can be pricey. And you have to ask if you really need bike shop quality stuff since you won't be using it all that often. I found a cheap starter set on Ebay that had most of the things I need. It had the cone wrenches I needed to adjust the hub as well as some other items that might be useful later, or might not for the old bike since it is, well, old. The one I got was like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...773416?hash=item1a0c230d28:g:DugAAOSwFqJWlOhN

Learning about bike wrenching tonight. Learned about cleaning and servicing freewheels and repacking hubs tonight. Watching RJ the Bike guy. He seems pretty practical and darned informative. I am probably going to pay for a full tune to get a head start on the re-hab needed on the new vintage bike, and since I don't have all the tools yet, but thinking I can start to take more of this on over time.

Also, using Sheldon Brown's site quite a lot for learning as well.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I wouldn't do it if they don't need to be done. I haven't done the bearings on my old bike ever and they are still fine for 50 miles/week or so (missed today because I have to replace a fence :( ). Also you might want to consider changing to a cartridge style if possible. I think RJ shows how to do that as well. There are lots of how to videos on Utube. I do go to SB etc for information but seeing it done and sometimes seeing several ways to do it is helpful. For example I saw and read a lot about how to true a wheel without a truing stand but eventually found one that was a much more straightforward way to remember how to do it which helped me a lot

Lots of stuff today. The Boise Bicycle Project bike co-op is a good thing.

Commuter 1, the converted MTB (26to700c),

Replaced quill stem with quill stem to threadless converter, Nitto. Added Bontrager stem with rise, purchased from the Boise Bike Project.

Then, changed out kinda english 3 speed type bars for a pair of Jones bars I got off guy here in town who swapped his out for Jones mustache style. Pre-wrapped and came with silicon grips. I wanted some more aero options for windy days. Need to adjust height. I think I can raise the adapter in the headtube a bit, as I squished it in there pretty far. Then will see if I want more rise on the stem. I think I like the reach. Bar ends clear my knees in smaller maneuvers, stretching out on the alternate hand positions feels good, other than may want to be a bit higher.

D948E850-93B9-41E6-885D-9C2C4226AE73_zpsixlbh8nn.jpg~original

Commuter/Tourer 2: The "New" vintage Davidson Touring Bike,

Swapped out ladies' Avocet Touring saddle for my favorite WTB Rocket V, in black leatherette, with pretty subtle logos. A saddle I have used on my mountain bike and which I thought would look ok on the old bike, without a lot of flashy lettering.

Pulled old 5 speed Suntour freewheel and installed 6 Speed suntour freewheel, also purchased from the Boise Bike project. Gotta love $5 freewheels and stems. Cleaned it up a little (will probably take a little more cleaning, but works fine) and dropped right in. Adjusted the limit screws (particularly the outside limit) and works just fine! The small sprocket is still a 14 as originally, but the largest one is now 32 instead of 34, with an additional gear in the range. I like the gear spacing better.

Still need to clean up the cable and housing and replace the chain, and generally clean and re-lube/grease everything. Will be working on new stem and bar next on this one. And replacing the old tires that are dried out.

15DB08F0-18DE-4365-A4B6-412515C9A397_zpsm3a8itup.jpg~original

2242B263-0481-4758-B2B2-2A6FEF2AFD0D_zpsg5brbhhk.jpg~original

Pics taken while bike hung back up, and pics then flipped over for ease of viewing.

My first saddle to end all saddles was the "Rolls" by San Marco. I could still probably ride one if needed and would use one for a classic bike restoration.
upload_2017-5-25_13-51-6.jpeg

Looking to replace the women's avocet touring II saddle on my "new" vintage touring bike.

3265A24D-5250-418C-B05B-3C90777C8019_zpsz7qttuee.jpg~original

The guys over at biketouringnews.com , a store specializing in touring/gravel/allroad type bikes, are trying to talk me into a leather one such as a brooks, gilles berthoud, etc. I am not buying it. Just never liked that style of saddle. And I am not purist enough.

I have an older version of the Terry Liberator. It has the hole right through the taint area of the seat.

My new handlebars for the old touring rehab project came in. Nitto B135 Rando style. Basically the same as the SR Sakae World Randos on there, but wider. I like it! Will install on the current stem to confirm stem length to order.

3FD0928B-A361-4F31-901C-9210D79916D6_zpsoxqnq5v0.jpg~original

597ADCA6-E187-4EB0-A9F3-68D31268075F_zps4ilbi14p.jpg~original

348B316E-7DAD-43C4-B940-A4B965E1FFF5_zps7as5phwg.jpg~original

New tires on. Like 'em! Had to pull the old fenders (I think SKS, no room). Will ultimately replace with new SKS Longboards big enough for the 32's.

C117576B-8482-4966-BD7B-8996FA330EEC_zpsg7xweiqw.jpg~original

Started pulling the old foam grips, the black tape holding the cables, and the old vestiges of the old Avocet computer you can see half removed here. Then had to go figure out how to remove bar end shifters, and brake levers. Got it figured out. Will hopefully finish this bar replacement this weekend. Got some pink embossed with flowers Specialized grip tape on sale for a buck at one of the LBS's. Will use it for this experimental phase. I am man enough to rock the pink floral tape. If I like the tape, I may go back and get a couple more rolls for a buck each. :)

Ultimately, I am thinking darker red to match the logos, by SRAM.

Just went ahead and ordered the brake levers I want https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H418I2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and bar tape, and a replacement chain (SRAM PC870 with powerlink). Chain will get here tomorrow, so will do the test run with the new bar, with old brake levers (should have ordered the new ones sooner) and pink wrap, and swap out the chain.

What grease or lube do you guys use in cables/housing? I know modern stuff might be different from this old style cable and housing. The shifting seems to work pretty well, other than being a little tough to get up on the big front ring, and a tendency to want to slip back down off the front ring over bumps. So thinking I will clean up and lube the cable/housing, and adjust the friction on that shifter.

Just went ahead and ordered the brake levers I want https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H418I2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and bar tape, and a replacement chain (SRAM PC870 with powerlink). Chain will get here tomorrow, so will do the test run with the new bar, with old brake levers (should have ordered the new ones sooner) and pink wrap, and swap out the chain.

What grease or lube do you guys use in cables/housing? I know modern stuff might be different from this old style cable and housing. The shifting seems to work pretty well, other than being a little tough to get up on the big front ring, and a tendency to want to slip back down off the front ring over bumps. So thinking I will clean up and lube the cable/housing, and adjust the friction on that shifter.
I love the brake levers you ordered!
For older cable housings, you can use any light lube like Triflow. Keep the old chain as a measurement guide for the replacement chain. I'd hold off on the handlebar wrap until you replace the brake levers. If you haven't wrapped a bunch of handlebars, check out a few videos first and remember to keep the tape tension tight the whole time.
https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+wrap+road+bike+handlebars+video

I love the brake levers you ordered!
For older cable housings, you can use any light lube like Triflow. Keep the old chain as a measurement guide for the replacement chain. I'd hold off on the handlebar wrap until you replace the brake levers. If you haven't wrapped a bunch of handlebars, check out a few videos first and remember to keep the tape tension tight the whole time.
https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+wrap+road+bike+handlebars+video
Thanks. I have been watching vid along those lines. This bike has bar end shifters, so focusing also on any differences there. I may go ahead and try one wrap before the new levers, because the wrap is only a buck, and it might not hurt to practice once.

EDIT: I like RJ the Bike Guy's videos on bar wrap, as I like most of his. He has a no muss, no fuss style that seems practical and helpful.

Back