The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

What do you guys like for clothes? I normally am in Club Ride stuff or similar, like Enduro, or whatever else is similar that is on sale. https://www.clubrideapparel.com/ Partly because they are local and I can usually get a deal, and partly because I just don't like the road bike kit look on me.

Stuff kinda like this, but not always black.

14_15_FW_MTB_1847-1.jpg

What do you guys like for clothes? I normally am in Club Ride stuff or similar, like Enduro, or whatever else is similar that is on sale. https://www.clubrideapparel.com/ Partly because they are local and I can usually get a deal, and partly because I just don't like the road bike kit look on me.

Stuff kinda like this, but not always black.

I wear the same kind of stuff everywhere, be it XC, CX, or roadie. No baggies.

I wear the same kind of stuff everywhere, be it XC, CX, or roadie. No baggies.
That's what I figured from your pics. I wear not baggie chamois on the road bike most of the time, but a club ride style shirt generally rather than a road jersey.

Baggies for road bike because I like pockets. Generally a non descript jersey usually white in the summer. Regular socks not biking socks, no gloves. A yellow jacket if temperatures are below 45F or 50 and it's cloudy/windy

When riding my old steel, regular shorts and a Tshirt no bike specific gear. Old steel bike is having issues these days though...looks like it needs significantly more work. I'm not that good on doing bike work, I don't have a lot of the specialized bike tools needed for it (cone wrench, pedal wrenches etc)

@sunvalleylaw I just get whatever is on sale at the time I anticipate a need so I've got a bunch of Pearl Izumi, Performance Bike stuff, random beer jerseys, etc.

As I spend a lot of time on the bike, I don't mind spending for the good, comfy stuff.
17_StarsStripes_F_2048x2048.jpg

26138_grande.jpg

My latest to stay visible and annoying so that drivers actually see me.
Providence_F_2048x2048.jpg

Your bike shop should carry at least two of the three common sizes of cartridges...You might be purchasing the wrong size if one can't inflate your tire fully.

no I use 16 gram, and they inflate the tire but not to 110-115 PSI. When I get home after changing a tube and use my pump with a gauge, it's always just below 90-100 PSI.

I don't ride with the real roadies (those focusing primarily on road riding, in this valley). There are some high level athletes here, and also a plethora of egos. I do ride with "real" mountain bikers, who sometimes ride road, gravel and cross. (EDIT: I am an alpine skier who mountain bikes a lot in the summer and does some bike commuting and road riding, and tries to keep up with the guys built like cyclists). For road riding, it is usually with the same guys I ride trails with, and they know me and don't care. Some of those guys have CO2, and some carry a pump. Our MTB rides are way out there, so most carry a pump there anyway, because if your CO2 doesn't seal right or inflate right, or lets all the gas loose not in the tube, you are stuck with a long, long walk. It has happened on our rides to guys without pumps (fortunately, one of the others of us generally do, so walk avoided). So, many are used to having a small pump when road bike riding, which we do early season some. Though some of those rides are gravel too. So, I show up with unshaved legs, my sidi dominators, (I refuse to spend a bunch of money on road only shoes), and no real kit. (Well, no road kit. Usually mountain bike clothes without race type logos, etc. Stuff like Club Ride type stuff. https://www.clubrideapparel.com/ Just layers appropriate for the weather. I don't like matching road kits for myself. So, I guess I am sort of a fred. But more just a mountain biker on a road bike just until the trails open up. It's all good. I accept my mountain biker fred-ness concerning road.

The term "Fred" mostly applies to guys who show up for the training rides but don't really have the skills to ride in a fast pack ride inches behind the back tire of the guy in front of you. They are sometimes mountain bikers doing road rides, but me and all my closest friends are mountain bikers turned roadies. You just get yelled at a lot the first few months while you're trying to learn how to ride in a straight line, behind someone's wheel and not between wheels, and not jerk on your brakes. Oh and corner at 30mph in a group that's 5 bikes wide and a block long. So the CO2 thing for me was initially peer pressure and trying to fit in.

I haven't flatted yet on my 29er in the mountains. It has tubeless tires, but I carry a tube because I'm not going to repair a tubeless tire in the wilderness.

I haven't flatted yet on my 29er in the mountains. It has tubeless tires, but I carry a tube because I'm not going to repair a tubeless tire in the wilderness.
For MTB tubeless, I'd carry a DynaPlug tire plug tool. They even have one that inflates and plugs.
http://www.dynaplug.com

And of course, always deflate any CO2 from your tire when you get home and replace it with pump air.

The term "Fred" mostly applies to guys who show up for the training rides but don't really have the skills to ride in a fast pack ride inches behind the back tire of the guy in front of you. They are sometimes mountain bikers doing road rides, but me and all my closest friends are mountain bikers turned roadies. You just get yelled at a lot the first few months while you're trying to learn how to ride in a straight line, behind someone's wheel and not between wheels, and not jerk on your brakes. Oh and corner at 30mph in a group that's 5 bikes wide and a block long. So the CO2 thing for me was initially peer pressure and trying to fit in.

I ride in groups, but not the super serious roadies. So though I can hold a line and turn with a group, I do not love to be an inch and a half from the bikes in front and behind me.

I ride in groups, but not the super serious roadies. So though I can hold a line and turn with a group, I do not love to be an inch and a half from the bikes in front and behind me.

Yeah, all that serious stuff isn't really needed. I can't stand the ARP (arrogant roadie prick) mentality. Safe and predictable is what counts.
The stronger the rider, the less they need to draft super close.

I don't know what a "Fred" is but apparently I am one...and here I always thought I was a Dave :shrug: But I don't ride with anyone so maybe not eh? I agree with Tig safe is most important but there are a lot of those ARP around...sometimes even when they aren't the super great rider. The number of times I pass someone in a full kit that then suddenly have to pass me is surprising. I guess they don't want the "Fred" ahead of them. The number of times I catch up to them is also surprising..like most of the time. Look Dude I don't care how fast you think you are...I ride at one speed, mine if you are slower I will pass you if you are faster you are welcome to pass me...but I'm not out to race you :Wave:

On another note, anyone have any advice for a squeaking sound coming from the drive chain area? I thought it was the pedals since mine are serviceable and well I've never serviced them. But I have another set of pedals and I put those on today and the noise is still there. I'm thinking maybe the bottom bracket (also not serviced and the bike is old) but I don't have any of the special tools needed so I wonder if it would be better to bring it into an expert rather than messing around with a self diagnostic?

Reactions: Tig
On another note, anyone have any advice for a squeaking sound coming from the drive chain area? I thought it was the pedals since mine are serviceable and well I've never serviced them. But I have another set of pedals and I put those on today and the noise is still there. I'm thinking maybe the bottom bracket (also not serviced and the bike is old) but I don't have any of the special tools needed so I wonder if it would be better to bring it into an expert rather than messing around with a self diagnostic?

Chain ring bolts are always suspect when it comes to creaks. And an easy fix for the fumble fingered. (wave) Sometimes a simple tightening fixes, other times disassembling, cleaning, and putting them back together with a little bit of bike sauce (grease) solves.

Or it could be the BB.

I don't know what a "Fred" is but apparently I am one...and here I always thought I was a Dave :shrug: But I don't ride with anyone so maybe not eh? I agree with Tig safe is most important but there are a lot of those ARP around...sometimes even when they aren't the super great rider. The number of times I pass someone in a full kit that then suddenly have to pass me is surprising. I guess they don't want the "Fred" ahead of them. The number of times I catch up to them is also surprising..like most of the time. Look Dude I don't care how fast you think you are...I ride at one speed, mine if you are slower I will pass you if you are faster you are welcome to pass me...but I'm not out to race you :Wave:

Does the squeak happen at the exact same part of the crank rotation?
Depending on the crank and bottom bracket type, disassembling, cleaning and re-greasing the contact surfaces and threads, and reassembling will get rid of most squeaking.

Shoe cleat mounting screws can also squeak. Test riding with running shoes is the quickest way to compare for that problem.

Back