The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

I've always been bad for bike maintenance though I have been better with my new bike. On my old bike I went about 30 years between cleaning/lubing the chain. And I've never replaced it. I guess they don't make them so robust anymore :P

This thread also for bicycle clothing? I'm on the lookout for a jacket or long-sleeve jersey, sorta all-around (got a rain jacket already), for days when just a short-sleeve jersey is too chilly.

Wondering what too look for in such a piece of clothing. Like wind resistance, etc.

Depends on how you want to look...TdF level or just something comfortable. Obviously tight fitting will be less wind resistance but might not be as warm. And how much do you want to spend. The long sleeve one I have my wife got on sale from REI outlet for less than $20. But you can spend well over $100 if you are so inclined (or just like to spend a lot of $$$)

I don't have a lot of $$$ to spend, but I do want to get something that will function throughout most parts of the year. Bergen is more rainy than it is snowy, but I don't intend to go on long bike rides in the pouring rain unless I have to.

From what I can tell from reading comments here and there is that a thin jacket, wind resistant, is optimal, and that dressing in layers beats getting a warm jacket. That makes sense, I imagine it'll be easier to just shed the jacket or shirt underneath if it gets too hot.

I don't have a lot of $$$ to spend, but I do want to get something that will function throughout most parts of the year. Bergen is more rainy than it is snowy, but I don't intend to go on long bike rides in the pouring rain unless I have to.

From what I can tell from reading comments here and there is that a thin jacket, wind resistant, is optimal, and that dressing in layers beats getting a warm jacket. That makes sense, I imagine it'll be easier to just shed the jacket or shirt underneath if it gets too hot.
I think you have the right idea. Particularly if you are not worried about fashion. Here in the states, you can get long or short sleeve layers made from tech cloth from even Target (such as Champion brand) that will serve as shirts to layer with. What you will miss is pockets to carry your extra layers, food, etc. So getting a jersey that has pockets is also a good thing. Unless you are wearing a hydration pack (more on a mountain bike than road generally) then pockets don't matter. You want to get a good padded short or liner, probably at least two so you can rotate for cleaning if you are riding a lot. Don't cheap out on that part. For the legs, having a longer tight layer, or what they call knee warmers for the lower legs, is important. Loose there doesn't work well. I am mostly a mountain biker so I have an aversion to the tight clothes all the time. But they have their place. As far as a jacket, something that is light and packable, breaks the wind, and sheds water is what you want. I just use a non bike specific North Face one I was given. There are lots and lots of bike specific ones on the sites for purchase. The bike specific ones often are longer in the rear to cover the rear end for rain spray off the rear wheel. It doesn't rain much where I live so I don't worry about it.

Thanks! Great advice, I was thinking about this as I was looking around for a good one. In the end, I just gave up looking for a perfect discount, and bought one that fit my criteria: windproof, flashy color (don't wanna get hit by a car late at night), and plenty of space in the back pockets for all my stuff.

16832144_1292369214180961_6042422590502474743_n.jpg

Nice...and older than my regular ride...and in better condition :zoinks:

Yes, it only had one owner and I don't think the guy ever rode it. I polished the chrome/stainless steel with aluminum foil and vinegar (found that suggestion online). Cleaned and regreased the bearings and put new tires on it. Perfect cruise around town bike with the kickstand and rack. This wasn't their lightest racing bike at the time (it's a UO8 - called a touring bike) but I already have a carbon fiber racing bike with Dura-Ace, this is perfect for just looking cool while rolling to the store. Maybe take it on longer flat rides also.

Yes, it only had one owner and I don't think the guy ever rode it. I polished the chrome/stainless steel with aluminum foil and vinegar (found that suggestion online). Cleaned and regreased the bearings and put new tires on it. Perfect cruise around town bike with the kickstand and rack. This wasn't their lightest racing bike at the time (it's a UO8 - called a touring bike) but I already have a carbon fiber racing bike with Dura-Ace, this is perfect for just looking cool while rolling to the store. Maybe take it on longer flat rides also.
Put some slightly wider tires on it, such as a Clement USH or Continental and also use it for lazy gravel rides?? http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/recommended/five-great-tires-for-gravel-grinding/slide/3

Put some slightly wider tires on it, such as a Clement USH or Continental and also use it for lazy gravel rides?? http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/recommended/five-great-tires-for-gravel-grinding/slide/3

Well I've been wanting to get a decent competitive cross bike and do the winter cyclocross races many of my friends do. I currently do lazy gravel and fire road rides on my expensive road bike. Not sure that's a good idea, but when I'm riding 25 miles out and see a fire road I just don't want to ride home, get my mountain bike and come back.

Well I've been wanting to get a decent competitive cross bike and do the winter cyclocross races many of my friends do. I currently do lazy gravel and fire road rides on my expensive road bike. Not sure that's a good idea, but when I'm riding 25 miles out and see a fire road I just don't want to ride home, get my mountain bike and come back.
As much as I love my Specialized CruX (set up as a gravel bike with 50/36 chain rings), I'd consider looking at either the upcoming version of the Trek Boone that will have IsoSpeed in the head tube in addition to the seat tube IsoSpeed decoupler. Solid axles mean less flex and an exact disc brake alignment that QR's don't have.
Niner has a new carbon fiber CX bike that looks really nice.
http://www.ninerbikes.com/
If you want something really unique, versatile, yet great quality, a little company called Rodeo Labs has the Traildonkey. Ignore the name!
http://www.rodeo-labs.com/td2/
Cannondale's Super X CX bikes are also worth a look.
http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...aspx?nid=b50d4197-0c6d-479d-8cc0-5b684d7761da

Last edited:
Cool tires, but my wheels are 27 in and not 700. Choices are limited. I have another old steel bike to put those tires on though.

Tell me about it. When I broke the axle on my regular ride (which is a early 80's steel) on the back tire I had a devil of a time finding a replacement. Eventually I found a rim to replace it but it was 27 1 1/4 and the bike was 27 1 1/8. The 1/8 rims were very hard to find (I wanted something local so I could get back riding and didn't have much luck even on line). Even decent 27 1 1/8 tires are getting hard to find these days. I use mine to ride to the gym 3 times a week and have a CAAD 10-3 for longer rides. The old bike is a bear in the mountains compared to the Cannondale and I'm not getting any younger

Back