The Battle of the Five Armies

I like the Lord of the Rings books and movies but I have no interest in the Hobbit for some reason. I watched half of the first one on HBO and it didn't grab me at all.

I may try to see it during my holiday time off.

My feeling on the Tolkein films is that I am happy they were made, even if there were compromises to the stories to make them into movies people would actually want to see. I still like them, even if they are sort of a Cliff Notes version of the books and take some significant liberties.
couldn't agree more.

I saw the final last night, thoroughly enjoyed it and then felt very sad when it was over as that is it...no more Middle Earth stories anymore.

Didnt Tolkiens son (or someone) finish his JRRRRR Tolkiens last, unfinished last book a couple of years ago?

I know Peter Jackson has said thats it for him but you never know, someone else might do something. After all, its practically guaranteed to make millions.

Ah, back in the 60's they were quite the thing to read and read them I did. I rather liked them. I wanted to like the movies, but they didn't work for me. Just not a visual guy; I like doing the visualizing in my head.

Youre not alone. I know a woman whos favourite books are The Hobbit, LOTR and the Harry Potter series. However she refuses to watch any of the films as she says theyll just spoil the worlds she has already made up in her mind after reading the books.

Youre not alone. I know a woman whos favourite books are The Hobbit, LOTR and the Harry Potter series. However she refuses to watch any of the films as she says theyll just spoil the worlds she has already made up in her mind after reading the books.
That is my approach very well stated. Thanks for that.

Yeah, it does taint the re-reading of the books now. I can't get the actors' faces out of my mind, or the set design.

heh heh. taint.

I will take my boys to go see it this weekend, and enjoy the film for what it is. And keep my mental images and enjoyment of the original book separate.

Re: the look of the movies, (LOTR and The Hobbit), they did a good enough job of assimilating all the old calendar and book cover art in designing the look that they did not overly screw up my mental imagery. And I still have my own mental imagery intact in some places where it differs. Thankfully. Mostly, the Lonely Mountain, which is a bit different in my mind than the film. But not too much, somewhat surprisingly.

I think if they did something with the Silmarillion, which to me was Tolkien creating the backstory and world within which he was writing, they would take ideas or parts of it, and turn them into/expand them into a series, kind of like the "Clone Wars" that spun off the Star Wars franchise. Not saying I would like that, as I more or less just tolerate the Hobbit movies. But that would be my guess.

Back