The BASSIEST of Bassmen.

I've run into them from time to time in vintage stores, but still hadn't heard one. Or if I did, its volume was such that my mind warped into itself to stave off insanity.

“Debuting in 1969, the 400 PS was a behemoth conservatively rated at 435 watts RMS.”

My eyeballs just about popped out of my head.

“‘A single speaker enclosure large enough to utilize 435 watts without damage to the speaker would be too large to be portable. For this reason, we have divided the available power into three separate speaker output jacks.’ That’s right. Fender recommended using three individual speaker cabinets to fully harness the 400 PS’s power.”

rotflmaoYou’d think Fender would have seen this as a limitation given that the early SVT models needed two 8x10 cabinets.

“NOTE: For Maximum Service Life. The amplifier should be operated in the stand, definitely NOT ON TOP of the speaker.”

rotflmaorotflmaorotflmao

But I don’t understand who they expected to use this absurd amp. This was designed the year after Cream broke up because Jack Bruce wouldn’t turn down the volume. What drummer would want to share a stage with this thing in 1969?

Last edited:
do-not-want

Back