The BACON BIRD BEGINS ITS JOURNEY!!!!

instantsteve

Glowing Cloud
It is in the oven. I should have taken a "before" shot. Aside from being coated with bacon, it has lots of rosemary is stuffed with some onion. This is the first time I have neglected to add garlic. I hang my head in shame. Time passed. The stuff like the garlic got left in the car. I suddenly realized I had to get moving. There will certainly be soup, and garlic will be in that. Sorry for the capitals. I got excited.

Well, in my opinion I messed it up. Overcooked. However, my daughter nom'd her way through a leg and declared it a success. I mean, encased in bacon. The white meat was dust dry. I see turkey tetrazzini in the near future. Or a sandwich with a fairly substantial amount of mayo.

524485_10151709489782396_334012121_n.jpg

Damn.

You'd think the bacon would've kept it juicy.

We always use a double shot of whisky based liqueur for basting. Like Glayva.
We've never had a dry bird since we started doing that.

I really have to convince my wife to do the bacon dinner jacket.

It was supposed to be a self basting turkey too! Well, what happened was I thought of that layer of bacon and I started obsessing about it not cooking enough. The bacon itself made me nervous about that. Probably my inner Jew felt the need to sabotage the turkey so I wouldn't enjoy it.

Looks cool!

Bacon is cured and smoked, at least the real slab bacon. Now, I'm not saying, go eat some raw bacon, but I will say that the general opinion that bacon has to be cooked crispy is way outta whack. I run into this in restaurants. "The bacon is raw!" No, it's not. Bacon reaches "safe" temp long, long before it becomes crispy.

This is interesting though. I'd give this a go. Maybe with a smaller turkey or a large chicken. Or a whole duck. Duck fat plus pork fat? Count me in. Pate bread stuffing? Maybe with a little pork belly center? Oh, this is giving me a good number of ideas. great thread!

Color me in shades of facepalm. I made whole cranberry sauce and forgot about it! Would have made the dry stuff much more palatable. D'oh!

I would have thought that the bacon would have kept the juices inside also.

I thought the same. My oven may have been hotter then I thought, and it is small. The roasting pan (disposable) may have covered too much of the grate - I have created situations with pizza pans where the oven seemingly became much hotter. That factor aside, I know I cooked it too long.

I'd cook it at 350F in a covered roasting pan and use more water in the pan. YMMV

Back