The August 2016 Recordingfest Reveal!

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
Chicken Man:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwnli26a3zuuuzz/JJHD demo-Bring Back the Cans.mp3?dl=0

Knox In Box:

Gary Blanchard:

I'd like to thank you everyone that submitted an entry! You guys are some seriously focused and committed peeps. :thu: I'd been working on one, but with the move and not getting my mixing room set up it just didn't happen. :( I'll try to do a better job of giving the schedule thread more bumps too.

If anyone else has a late entry, please go ahead and post it in the thread

Our next Recordingfest is in December, so get those DAWs all fired up!

Chicken Man - Great blues tune; I remember having those times, too.
Knox in Box - Very impressive work. I'm not familiar with the original, but this is well done.

Chicken Man : cool blues right there, I was taken aback at first by how stripped down it was, but quickly adapted. Was that live, with add background vocals? Anyway, good song.

Gary: I liked both and dug the chorusy goodness of the second, but really liked the first one. Like something from Springsteen's Nebraska album, just not as dark.

As for mine the 12 string is my Harley Benton 119€ special, that take was the very first try at recording with it one side mic'd, the other piezo simultaneously. I was very surprised to say the least. The other acoustic it's my Yamaha recorded the same way. All electrics are my white tele with the tonerider pups, except for the clean flanged one I think that was my headless kit guitar but I'm not sure.

I have to give credit to Sonik for the great mixing job on my stuff, especially as I stretch out a bit on some newer songs. I just finished recording three more songs to finish the new CD and will be sending them to him hopefully today or tomorrow.

Chicken Man : cool blues right there, I was taken aback at first by how stripped down it was, but quickly adapted. Was that live, with add background vocals? Anyway, good song.
It's a demo for my band to learn from, so I just played guitar, overdubbed the solo section, and did three vocal passes to outline some ideas for harmonies. I think we'll actually swap those harmony vocals for saxophones when we record it, since my bass player got his hands on one.

We've got a family wedding this weekend, so hopefully this thread is still on page one when the dust settles and I can listen to everyone. At least it's a short list this time around...

I have one, but with work I haven't had a chance to upload it. I will try to do it this weekend, as well as listen to all the other entries.

Good job catching that Surfy vibe rsadasiv. I'd have liked then a bit more direct sounding, but I get it.

Alright so I uploaded mine. Will listen to everyone's tomorrow AM as I'm working :)

This is another track from the upcoming Bird Index album.

rsadisiv - Very nicely played. I seldom hear B-52 covers, that's a nice choice.

Smurfco - It might just be me, but I can hear a bit of McCartney influence in that. Not always a compliment from me, but it is in this case. I hope you can get the band going as this is good stuff.

Great job all around by everyone that submitted material!
KIB---easily my favorite Walsh tune. Great job on that. It must have been quite a job tracking that song.
Gary- also great material. You have a way of capturing that 60's-70's vibe. I could hear a bit of John Denver in there. Great job.
Chicken Man- I really like how "sparse" the orchestration is. It captures the old delta blues vibe. Nice work.
Rsadasiv-even though I'm not much of a B-52's fan, you chose some really good selections and did a fantastic job of re-creating them. Great bass guitar tone in the first one. And again these songs must have been fairly difficult to track, they aren't exactly standard arrangements.

@Chicken Man : I like the stripped down vibe here. Your voice has a grit / growl in it that I really like and the harmonies sprinkled throughout.

@Knox in Box : Great production, and the acoustic guitar sounds really good. I'm not familiar with the tune but I like it. I did not expect the drums etc. to come in (not being familiar with the tune). Cool! Great lead tone, Les Paul? How are you getting that lead tone? I like it!

@Gary Blanchard : as usual I love the laid-back peace that shows through every aspect of your playing and singing. The Dylanesque harmonica in tune 1 is perfectly at home. The second tune sounds very spacey and strummy, Very ethereal. Part of me wants to put strings, drums, bass, etc on this but that would probably ruin the vibe.

@rsadasiv : I'm always in the mood for a B52s cover! You really captured the vibe of their rhythm section which is hard to do, but it has that bouncy quirky feel to it. Nice work!

Yeah, for some reason I just heard John Denver in one of the lines. Maybe it was some inflection in your voice or something...idk
Btw....John Denver is/was an amazing singer/songwriter/story teller. I meant that as a compliment in every way, Gary!!

Chicken Man:

A sweet paen to the joys of recycling. Should work well with the JukeJoint Hand Me Downs.

Back