The Astro Jet Build Thread

Ok. First, the body. I kept experimenting with pickguards.

image.jpeg

But I couldn't come up with one I liked. It also bugged me that I couldn't match the control cavity cover color.

So....
image.jpeg

And I redid the neck in amber with some new fret wire.
image.jpeg

Love the neck. Body is looking good, and it will be interesting to see what pickguard shape you go with.

Love the neck. Body is looking good, and it will be interesting to see what pickguard shape you go with.

I don't think I'm going to use one at all. The pickguard was mainly to hide my repairs to the top where I filled the original pickup routs. The heritage cherry covers them enough.

I don't think I'm going to use one at all. The pickguard was mainly to hide my repairs to the top where I filled the original pickup routs. The heritage cherry covers them enough.

Cool, I think it will look better without one. I took the guard off my 335 years ago and don't miss it. I'm not the type to leave gouges in the finish due to exuberant picking.

Outstanding choice of color!

I happened to have a bottle of Behlen's blood red dye on hand, so the choice was easy. :grin:

BTW, this was my first experience using a Preval sprayer. Overall, I give it a solid "B." It's easy to use, simple to figure out but it sprays a little on the heavy side and leaves quite a bit of orange peel.
But, it's by far the cheapest and easiest way to spray your own custom colors and you can get good results. Just takes a little more sanding.

Back