The Astro Jet Build Thread

Separated at birth?

image.jpeg

How about a one week report?

The bad:
My volume pots function like switches. Just got some new linear tapers to replace. I know, everybody hates linears but I like them. Eliminates the on/off effect of a too-sharp taper on a log pot.
Not happy with the 50s wiring. You just trade one drawback for another. Instead of losing highs when you turn volume down, you lose volume when you turn the tone down. With the tele bridge tone fluctuating from 5-8, I lose too much and the bridge pickup can't keep up with the neck pickup for volume.
Which is a challenge to begin with. Even with the neck pickup adjusted low, it still easily overpowers the Broadcaster bridge. Good thing I have separate volume controls so I can turn down the neck a little.
That's about it.

The good:
50 year old mahogany is the shiznits. It's light, resonant and the guitar has more harmonic overtones than any guitar I've owned. I guess it's the old wood. I've used every other component used here before but things never quite sounded like this. The neck pickup, especially. You can actually hear all the little phase type sounds as the different sub-oscillations dance around on the strings. It's wild. The SM3 mini has long been my favorite neck pickup and it has sounded good in every guitar I've had it in but it sounds better here. Like a piano but with gain, it does the humbucker "wall of sound" tone just great. Love it. As I expected, this guitar is really gonna be all about that neck pickup. I add in the bridge if I want a little more bite but the switch stays up more than down.
It feels like a strat when you wear it. Well balanced and form fitting. No sharp edges and it kinda wraps around you. Very comfy. Well balanced on the strap.
The double volume/tone setup is perfect for mixing a single coil bridge with the neck humbucker. Having the appropriate value pots & caps on each is nice. No compromises.

Overall, pretty good so far. I still have two frets that need cleaned up and I have to swap the pots soon but I'm happy with it.
The look is certainly offbeat but whatever. Maybe people will be less likely to want to buy it or steal it. :grin:
Tuning stability is good after a few days settling in. Sustains well...for a tele. It's not winning any contests there but it's adequate.

I'm thinking of enacting my evil active control experiment here.

Imagine taking one of these apart
image.jpeg

And installing it in the chasm that is my control panel. To be able to adjust the damn volume without screwing up your tone would be wonderful.

If you were cutting this, would you

A. Cut so the flame is straight but the grain is angled...

image.jpeg

Or

2. Cut so the grain is straight but the flame is angled.
image.jpeg

There will be a quiz.

What is your answer?

Back