The Astro Jet Build Thread

Or maybe I just need to rotate the jack until things fit right. :grin:

It works! There's still setup work to be done but it's playable. The intonation set right up and the action fell into place pretty easily. The pickups are adjusted.
Looks like I have some frets to level a bit but that appears to be the worst right now.
I am gonna have to find another volume pot for the neck pickup. This one is ON at 10 and by 7, it's already inaudible. It works more like a switch than a volume control. Somebody jacked up the taper on this one big time.
But it sounds.....like a tele with a mini humbucker lol. No surprises there. I'm glad I went with the hotter Broadcaster pickup for the bridge. Still has plenty o twang if you want it but it also has enough output to keep up with the mini humbucker.

83CE9C6F-DEA5-4B6B-9544-04A7F06398B4_zpsv0wy5yef.jpg

150DBE00-3E89-447F-951B-61756986E2AD_zpsi2gjk07v.jpg

4B16DAFA-D53D-4979-B635-6EECA5EF3E70_zpsypdi4yd0.jpg

I still don't like that part so much but the hole was already there. Lemons and lemonade and whatnot. But it's good. I think I'll make or have made a stainless steel cover at some point. Maybe some engraving...
Oooooooooooo.... now that's a cool idea right there.

EG, it looks like your saddles are out of order. If the intonation is good, it doesn't matter, but the one that's under your B & E strings is usually the one that goes under your D & G strings.

More importantly, since the control plate issue is clearly insurmountable for you...well, you can PM for my address.:thu:

Absolutely gorgeous job.

EG, it looks like your saddles are out of order. If the intonation is good, it doesn't matter, but the one that's under your B & E strings is usually the one that goes under your D & G strings.

More importantly, since the control plate issue is clearly insurmountable for you...well, you can PM for my address.:thu:

Absolutely gorgeous job.

Interesting. Wonder how that happened.

Absolutely gorgeous job.

Good catch. This explains much but I still have no clue how that happened.
After fixing the saddle, intonation is better. Adjusted truss rod as well.
Looks like I'm just down to 2-3 frets that need some love.

image.jpeg

My first scratches! I've been playing the hell out of it tonight and tweaking the setup.
And I think this guitar has mojo. For the first time ever, I believe, I broke out in a grin as a result of what I heard coming out the speaker. Maybe some of the prettiest sounds I've ever produced with a guitar.

image.jpeg

Thanks! I'm trying really hard not to gush about the sound for fear the honeymoon will end and I realize I was wrong.
But I've never owned a guitar that sounds this good. It's bizarre. I very literally grin when I play it.

Back