the Angry Troll has arrived

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
no, not darial, this guy:

WayHugeAngryTroll.jpg

years ago, i had a pedal called the Insane Gain, which was built by Bruce Bennett. here's a pic:

BBInsaneGainBig.jpg

it's 3 LPB-1's in one housing, each with its own volume and on/off switch. the third one had a master volume so that you could raise the level of clipping. cool idea, but the pedal didn't generate enough of its own distortion and since the knobs were on the side, you had to remember which button controlled which level of gain, and then hit the right combination, and it became unwieldy onstage.

the Angry Troll takes this idea of a self clipping LPB-1 and simplifies it. the right knob allows you to scroll through 6 levels of dirt, from virtually clean to crunchy. the volume adjusts the output (duh). into an already overdriven amp, you can go from biting solo tone to teh brootalz. much easier than the Insane Gain.

Very cool. Does it color your sound much in the cleaner settings?

it'll never do a clean boost, even though it claims to. even on the cleanest setting you can hear a tiny bit of grit and the fatness of the pedal come through. i'm using it to add distortion to my Mesa by setting the dirt level low on the amp and then using the pedal as a traditional booster out front. the added grit stages allow me to keep the pedal volume level lower to get higher gain at the same overall volume.

i've not been able to do that with any other boost pedal, and overdrive/distortion pedals sound like ass through that amp.

it'll never do a clean boost, even though it claims to. even on the cleanest setting you can hear a tiny bit of grit and the fatness of the pedal come through. i'm using it to add distortion to my Mesa by setting the dirt level low on the amp and then using the pedal as a traditional booster out front. the added grit stages allow me to keep the pedal volume level lower to get higher gain at the same overall volume.

i've not been able to do that with any other boost pedal, and overdrive/distortion pedals sound like ass through that amp.

Thats kind of how I keep my RC Booster set. How much is the AT?

too much for what it is. but i got it as part of the trade for the Pitchfactor because i didn't need anything else. find one used in 6 months for $80.

hm. I need to repair or replace my RC Booster (mine is from the "lame switch" era and I think I killed the LED with my crappy soldering replacing the first switch). I'm a little concerned that they've changed the voicing on it in the 3 or so years since I've gotten mine, though.

hm. I need to repair or replace my RC Booster (mine is from the "lame switch" era and I think I killed the LED with my crappy soldering replacing the first switch). I'm a little concerned that they've changed the voicing on it in the 3 or so years since I've gotten mine, though.

send it back to them?

wow, it sounds really good on the clean channel. all the filtering the amp does makes putting dirt pedals out front really difficult. i have to cut the treble a bit, but it cuts through that preamp. a feat unto itself.

once i get my FX loop fixed, i can put my tri-boost in the loop for solos.

Back