The amp that you always wanted to get but....

I would sort of like a Fender Musicmaster amp to go along with my Musicmaster guitar, but they're all about $500 these days, and I don't really want to pay that much.

They do sound good but prices have gotten a little out of hand.

Never really had anything like that. I considered the DUmble in the early 90's when there was hype and only a 2 year wait and decided that was a bad idea for $5500.

The irony is that when I inquired about one - ODS - IIRC the cost at the time was about $1800. Boy what a jump from the late 80's to the early 90's.

The usual... Dumble, Trainwreck, Two Rock. I will likely have another Rambler at some point. Maybe a Sportsman.

Also one that doesn't exist: a reasonable wattage Electra Dyne.

But I just picked up a little something that sounds soooooo good. :)

Beatle-front_2.jpg
+1

Big money boutique amps have no appeal to me.

Most of the higher end "attainable" amps don't appeal to me either. Never wanted a Mesa or similar. I own a JCM 800 that is like Schroedinger's Amp at this point... it's been locked in a flight case since some time in 93. I am completely unsure if it is alive or dead, I only know it was dead mint when it went in there. It wasn't even on my "want list", it just made it's way to me at a "price" I couldn't refuse. I may have put up to 30 minutes of play time into it.

AC30 was great, but too loud, too heavy.

AC15 was great, but not enough amp.

If there's any ONE Amp I have always wanted to own, but for some reason never pulled the trigger, it would be a standard Silver Face Fender Twin.

Sooner or later one will come along under the right circumstances and I'll bite. Til then, I'm good.

If there's any ONE Amp I have always wanted to own, but for some reason never pulled the trigger, it would be a standard Silver Face Fender Twin.

Sooner or later one will come along under the right circumstances and I'll bite. Til then, I'm good.
Just curious, why a silver face over the black? Headroom?

I wanted one a Matamp Minimat. They’re custome-order practice amps with a built-in attenuator. But the ones that came up on Reverb never had a tone stack. I repeatedly tried to have one built but Matamp won’t even respond to build requests from people outside of the UK.

The silver looks cooler.

That simple.

I honestly don't know what the main differences are, only that they both sound really good.
Well, the siverfaces came out right bout the time CBS took over Fender. The early silverfaces were just re-badged 85W black faces, but the final versions were the ultra-linear, 135W versions that stayed clean all the way to 10. There were a few versions in between as well, so not all SFs are created equal.

Well, the siverfaces came out right bout the time CBS took over Fender. The early silverfaces were just re-badged 85W black faces, but the final versions were the ultra-linear, 135W versions that stayed clean all the way to 10. There were a few versions in between as well, so not all SFs are created equal.
Well that certainly complicates things.

Then again, I NEVER use the drive channel or built in distortion on amps. I prefer to get mine from a box. So I guess I would want the one with the clean headroom.

When I was 12 it was any Marshal stack. Because it would have looked really cool in my bedroom. I didn't know anything at the time.

Today? I'm not sure if there is an Amp that I've always wanted. Perhaps the Roland JC-120 would be the next one to buy. I like clean channels that I can muddy up from there.

Well that certainly complicates things.

Then again, I NEVER use the drive channel or built in distortion on amps. I prefer to get mine from a box. So I guess I would want the one with the clean headroom.

Hell, unless you want to make your whole neighborhood deaf, the 85 watt one will have plenty of clean headroom :grin:

Hell, unless you want to make your whole neighborhood deaf, the 85 watt one will have plenty of clean headroom :grin:
yea.....no kidding.....my Blues Deluxe (40 WRMS) has PLENTY of clean headroom when you use the clean channel. i can't stand on the same stage with it above 3-ish.

Back