The 2017 Formula 1 Thread

Mercedes seem to be back to their winning ways of 2014-2016. It looks like they have figured out how to get the car dialed in pretty good, and the next few races really favor their package quite a bit.
Ferrari appears to have stalled a bit in the development race. The blown tires that Kimi and Seb had were totally different. Kimi's tire came apart, but Seb's tire had a puncture. Still they definitely need to look into that more. Perhaps one stopping the race was pushing, because even Hamilton was babying his tires at the end going "half throttle" for the last couple of laps.
It was cool to see McLaren on top in Q1, and the reaction of the crowd made it really special. They really need to ditch Honda and go back to Mercedes.
That was a helluva drive to come all the way back to 5th from nearly last.
Renault seems to be gaining some pace too. They will be a contender next year, and Red Bull better watch their mirrors.

All Ferrari front row for the race tomorrow! Hamilton had a vibration in his tires in Q3 and starts 4th. McLaren starting 8th and 9th!

Hahhahahaaaaa.

Kimi Raikkonen on the radio "So, are we going to do this for the rest of the race then?" on referring to being trapped behind his slower team mate he can't pass to satisfy the powers at Ferrari and a faster competitor rapidly closing in from behind.

Well the last half of the race was interesting, but it highlighted a glaring issue with the current formula, overtaking is impossible on tight twisty circuits. It was nice that Hamilton gave the spot back to Bottas, but I imagine there will be a price for that down the road.

Alonso finished 6th. It was nice to see both McLarens in the points, but they were still more than a minute behind the top 5 cars.

Ferrari is the same as it ever was. Vettel is clearly #1 and Kimi is #2. He will not win another race for sure now.

I missed why he did that. I was surprised. If he lost the title by 1 point he'd be pretty pissed about given up 3rd for 4th ???
He asked the team to let him pass Bottas so he could attack the Ferraris. The team agreed on the condition that he give the position back if he couldn't pass either Ferrari. He caught up, but couldn't pass. Even though he was 8 seconds ahead of Bottas on the last lap and Verstappen was within DRS range of Bottas, Hamilton dramatically slowed and let Bottas pass on the last corner while keeping Verstappen behind him.

Hamilton and Mercedes were both well aware of the possible consequences of giving the position back, but to Hamilton's credit, he kept his word.

He asked the team to let him pass Bottas so he could attack the Ferraris. The team agreed on the condition that he give the position back if he couldn't pass either Ferrari. He caught up, but couldn't pass. Even though he was 8 seconds ahead of Bottas on the last lap and Verstappen was within DRS range of Bottas, Hamilton dramatically slowed and let Bottas pass on the last corner while keeping Verstappen behind him.

Hamilton and Mercedes were both well aware of the possible consequences of giving the position back, but to Hamilton's credit, he kept his word.

I just came back here to say I found out :P Thanks. Yeah good on him for keeping his word, not often you see that these days

Not too exciting of a race, but a good result for Massa, coming from 16th to 8th. Grosjean also did well, finishing 7th.

There's going to be some fireworks at Force India after Ocon and Perez crashed into each other twice!

Wasn't able to watch it and don't think I'll bother with a replay. Monza is also likely to be a snoozefest IMO, perfect for a wire to wire victory for Hamilton. I no longer know who the best driver is, since it's pretty much all about the car.

The surprising thing to me was how close Vettel was to Hamilton for practically the entire race. I can't remember the last time that tow cars from two different teams were so close to each other in race trim performance.

Perez is the new Crashtor.

McLaren looked pathetic with that Honda lump in the back, but Alonso looks like an idiot for parking the car for no good reason. He claimed "engine trouble", but the team found nothing wrong with the car. I think Alonso's time at McLaren is coming to a close.

I felt gutted for Verstappen. That kid just can't get a break this year. There is a good possibility he will be driving for a different team next year I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Renault picks him up in exchange for a sweet engine deal for Red Bull.

The surprising thing to me was how close Vettel was to Hamilton for practically the entire race. I can't remember the last time that tow cars from two different teams were so close to each other in race trim performance.

Perez is the new Crashtor.

McLaren looked pathetic with that Honda lump in the back, but Alonso looks like an idiot for parking the car for no good reason. He claimed "engine trouble", but the team found nothing wrong with the car. I think Alonso's time at McLaren is coming to a close.

I felt gutted for Verstappen. That kid just can't get a break this year. There is a good possibility he will be driving for a different team next year I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Renault picks him up in exchange for a sweet engine deal for Red Bull.
Red Bull really doesn't want to let Verstappen go, and why would he want to go to Renault? He's driving their engines now, and in a better car. His best bet is Bottas' seat now that Ferrari has signed Kimi. I'd love to see Verstappen as Hamilton's teammate. They'd make Hamilton/Rosberg and Perez/Ocon look like best buddies.

McLaren finally pulled the plug on Honda.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/ins...onda-agree-to-conclude-formula-1-partnership/

Not sure how Toro Rosso thinks that adopting the Honda Powerplant next season is a good idea, but with Red Bull/Toro Rosso and their profound "luck", I won't be shocked to see Honda show up in 2018 with a Powerplant that just smokes everything else on the grid. Especially if Alonso sticks around... You just know the Honda guys will get their shit together and poor Fernando will be stuck mid pack all year in a slow car with a great chassis.

I read that Renault said that they can't supply 4 teams, so if they wanted to pick up McLaren, someone had to go.

So far it looks like Ferrari and Red Bull might be able to give Mercedes a run for their money this weekend.

Vettel on pole, Verstappen 2nd, Ricciardo 3rd, Raikkonen 4th, and Merc starting 5th and 6th!

Vettel seemed fairly pleased with his pole. :grin:

Back