The 2017 Formula 1 Thread

Hamilton on Alonso's Indy run:

"I looked at the times and, frankly, for his first ever qualifying for Fernando to be fifth -- what does that say about Indy?" the Mercedes driver told France's L'Equipe.

"A great driver, if he cannot win in formula one, will look for other races to win," said the Briton, before smiling. "But to see him fifth against drivers who are there all year is ... interesting."

What a dick.

Hamilton should put his money where his mouth is and go run Indy. Besides qualifying and racing at Indy are very different things.

Totally stoked for Kimi. He obviously brought himself some good karma by spending a moment with that kid after the last race. Good on you Kimi. I hope he wins tomorrow.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

Ferrari really bent Kimi over, but who didn't see that coming?

Alonso boned by Honda again. He runs to an entirely different continent, but still can't escape them. Congrats to Taku!

Kimi had a great race and seemed to have it in the bag, but, team orders and all that.

I feel for the guy, but not too badly, as he still has a 7 million dollar salary for the year, plus bonuses.

Funny how right after Vettel passed him on the pit rotation, Kimi was way slower and managed to back up all the cars behind Vettel for exactly the gap of a pit stop plus 2 seconds. Hmmmm. Kimi was on pole the day before and 2 seconds or more faster than Vettel before the stop in the race. You know he was ordered to second and told to back up the field so Vettel would win even with a puncture.

Tony Kanaan had a great comeback for Hamilton's dickish comments about Indycar drivers:

"The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don't think he can say much."

Reactions: OGG
Hamilton has moments where he seems to have matured, and then moments of being a total dick. His comments on Indy Car clearly are the later. Indy Car isn't formula one, but I don't think the guys driving it are phoning it in or buffoons. It is a different style of racing, but it is racing. Hell, Hamilton should know that even kart racing is competitive and a challenge, as he started there. Shit, unranked autocrosses happen every weekend across the world, and they are filled with drivers who want to win, and they push hard to do so, even if they are driving their shitbox commuter car on race tires. I know, I was one of them for years. Shitting on other racers just isn't cool.

Alonzo went to Indy, qualified well, lead 30 some laps, fourth most of all drivers and had as good a chance of winning as anyone until that POS Honda blew up, all with NO experience. Pretty much makes Hamilton's point. Indy hasn't been worth shit since the CART/IRL split.

Alonzo went to Indy, qualified well, lead 30 some laps, fourth most of all drivers and had as good a chance of winning as anyone until that POS Honda blew up, all with NO experience. Pretty much makes Hamilton's point. Indy hasn't been worth shit since the CART/IRL split.
It's true Indy isn't the same as before the split, but Alonso is one of the best drivers in the world. The best F1 drivers are better than the best Indycar drivers, but that doesn't mean there aren't any good drivers in Indycar. Lots of people slag NASCAR, but most of the open wheel guys who try it (including F1) get their asses handed to them by the good ol' boys. If they were that good, they'd clean up in NASCAR.

McLaren-Honda split rumors are reaching a fever pitch. Supposedly it could happen before the end of the season, maybe in a few races. That soon seems unlikely, given the enormous task of fitting a different engine into the car.

It might rain Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does!

I am not big on open wheel racing,it seems like the cars blow up all the time.
Like 10 cars make it across the finish line.

I am not big on open wheel racing,it seems like the cars blow up all the time.
Like 10 cars make it across the finish line.
That is certainly true of IndyCar, but not at all the norm in F1 despite the fact that F1 "Power Units" are light years more complex than the engines in Indy Racing.

F1 cars have incredible reliability, with one glaring exception over the past few years... Honda/McLaren. They simply can not get their shit together. They are the one team that only surprises people when one of their two cars actually crosses the finish line on the final lap.

Every F1 Grand Prix may see one or two "retirements" from the race for mechanical issues, but it's not uncommon for there to be none (other than Honda/McLaren).

Same with crashes... seems like Indy Cars are bouncing off of everything in sight, all the time. Most Indy races see several full course caution flags because one or two or ten cars went Demolition Derby style all of a sudden.

It's fairly common for an F1 race to go the distance without a significant incident (especially since Crashtor Maldonado lost his ride). Most major incidents in F1 happen within the first three turns of the opening lap. That's because they do a standing start from the grid and it is very crowded and frantic for that first 30 seconds or so. Occasionally someone will screw the pooch mid-race, but massive pile ups pretty much are a thing of many years past.

F1 cars are WAY bigger, and much "faster" than Indy Cars. When I say "Faster", it's in terms of average speed and certainly through the twisty bits. They don't have the 230 MPH top speed that Indy Cars do (but they still hit 211-212), but they'll take a section of turns at ferocious pace compared to Indy. It's a whole other level of "fast".

Where F1 really separates the men from the boys, is rain. Rain doesn't delay or postpone a Grand Prix accept in extremely rare cases... extremely rare. They simply throw on the "wet" or "intermediate" tires and go balls out. The only delay in recent memory was because the particular track just sucked, and the standing water in several sections was too deep for anything but a monster truck or a boat. They ran Malaysia? (Or maybe Japan or Singapore) a few years ago in a freaking monsoon that was wreaking havoc throughout the South Pacific. It was nuts. NASCAR will cancel an entire race because Billy Joe Jim Bob done spilt his Budweiser near the track.

F1 is in every way, the pinnacle of motosport.

In all fairness, you can't run a race on an oval track in the rain, or even a wet track, be it NASCAR or open wheel. It's just too dangerous since there's no runoff area. Most F1 guys won't run ovals at all because they think it's too dangerous.

That said, F1 is indeed head and shoulders above Indycar.

The opener of the Canadian GP was certainly wild. Vettel got the short end of the stick when Max cut across his nose, but he did an amazing recovery drive. Ferrari rolled the dice on strategy and it paid off well for Vettel.

Honda totally sucks at F1.

The opener of the Canadian GP was certainly wild. Vettel got the short end of the stick when Max cut across his nose, but he did an amazing recovery drive. Ferrari rolled the dice on strategy and it paid off well for Vettel.

Honda totally sucks at F1.
They're not that great at Indycar, either.

As usual, the first couple of laps of the race were interesting, then it was a snoozefest.

They're not that great at Indycar, either.

As usual, the first couple of laps of the race were interesting, then it was a snoozefest.
Fell asleep by about lap 16. Haven't bothered to watch the rest on the DVR, probably won't.

Alonso WILL QUIT McLaren Honda either before or during the Summer break.

Oh, and What in the actual fuck? Massa once again is the unwitting victim of a clueless asshat running well behind him and forced out of a race. The guy has a bullseye somewhere on his car. I've never seen any other driver even come close to being innocently crashed out of so many races. It's uncanny.

When he was with Alonso at Ferrari, it was especially gruesome because he was often fighting for a podium spot or even a victory when some fucktwit bounced into him. Poor guy.

Fell asleep by about lap 16. Haven't bothered to watch the rest on the DVR, probably won't.

Alonso WILL QUIT McLaren Honda either before or during the Summer break.

Oh, and What in the actual fuck? Massa once again is the unwitting victim of a clueless asshat running well behind him and forced out of a race. The guy has a bullseye somewhere on his car. I've never seen any other driver even come close to being innocently crashed out of so many races. It's uncanny.

When he was with Alonso at Ferrari, it was especially gruesome because he was often fighting for a podium spot or even a victory when some fucktwit bounced into him. Poor guy.
Yeah, shame about Massa. Williams really needs the points with Force India being so strong.

Back