The 2017 Formula 1 Thread

I really thought Vettel was going to reel him in. But, good for Valteri.

As for Alonso finishing the season with McLaren... I'd be surprised if we see him start another race with them. That team is a complete disaster and he has other options all over the place.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

I thought Vettel needed a couple more laps, he seemed to have the pace. It was, however, IMO a boring race. I only watched it on replay because I don't often get a chance to watch anything at all

So, it wasn't my imagination or the world feed. There was only one pass on track the entire race according to grandprix.com. They must not count the start, since Bottas passed both Ferraris.

Mercedes P1, but there's little time separating them to Ferrari in P2. Alonso hauled that POS McLaren Honda up to P7. He's a helluva driver.

Well we finally got to see the battle between Vettel and Hamilton that we have been waiting for, but strategy played a big part in it too. Kudos to Hamilton for doing what had to be done to win the race.

There were plenty of good battles up and down the field. And you could really see the physical toll these cars are making on the drivers as they push lap after lap. This is Formula 1 as it should be.

Reactions: OGG
Hamilton was really huffing and puffing on the radio! He and Ricciardo both looked pretty spent after the race. I was really surprised Hamilton was able to make the softs last 30 laps and Vettel seemed pretty powerless to catch up.

Aside from Lewis winning, yeah! This was the best part of the whole race,

1494832215091.jpg

Always thought Kimi was a good guy. Some day I'll forgive him for driving for Ferrari.

Well we finally got to see the battle between Vettel and Hamilton that we have been waiting for, but strategy played a big part in it too. Kudos to Hamilton for doing what had to be done to win the race.

There were plenty of good battles up and down the field. And you could really see the physical toll these cars are making on the drivers as they push lap after lap. This is Formula 1 as it should be.
Ferrari really screwed the pooch with that strategy. Vettel had such a commanding lead that there was no chance for Lewis to catch up. No chance. Not sure what they were thinking.
Hamilton was really huffing and puffing on the radio! He and Ricciardo both looked pretty spent after the race. I was really surprised Hamilton was able to make the softs last 30 laps and Vettel seemed pretty powerless to catch up.
Yeah, they were talking about the difference in lateral Gs between last year and this year due to the increased mechanical grip from the wider/lower profile tires. Some of the turns saw those cars pushing well beyond 5 Gs. That's just ludicrous. The very best street cars can barely squeeze past 1G before losing grip. The physical strain must be insane.

1494832215091.jpg

Always thought Kimi was a good guy. Some day I'll forgive him for driving for Ferrari.
Whatever has been said about Kimi in the past about being a curmudgeon, you can toss it all out the window. That was the coolest thing any sporting figure has ever done.

Ferrari really screwed the pooch with that strategy. Vettel had such a commanding lead that there was no chance for Lewis to catch up. No chance. Not sure what they were thinking.

Yeah, they were talking about the difference in lateral Gs between last year and this year due to the increased mechanical grip from the wider/lower profile tires. Some of the turns saw those cars pushing well beyond 5 Gs. That's just ludicrous. The very best street cars can barely squeeze past 1G before losing grip. The physical strain must be insane.

Whatever has been said about Kimi in the past about being a curmudgeon, you can toss it all out the window. That was the coolest thing any sporting figure has ever done.

Ferrari should have pitted either during that last safety car, or they should have done one more stop with 15 laps to go and put on a fresh set of softs and have Vettel run qualifying laps to the end. He would have had the advantage with clean air and fresher tires. But hindsight is 20/20. I think they thought Hamilton's tires were going to fade at the end, but they didn't, and that sealed the victory for merc.

1494832215091.jpg

That was sooooooooo awesome! Liberty hit a major home run with that one. That never would have happened under Bernie. Bernie probably would have gone up into the stands and slapped the kid.

Reactions: OGG
Fernando Alonso took provisional Pole away from Indy Car Champ Tony Canaan today before eventually securing a 5th position, 2nd grid row start for the Mother of all Races. Not bad Fernando, not bad. The look of disgust and disdain on Tony's face when he realized he had to remove himself and his car from the Pole Sitter's spot was priceless.

Short of a crash out or mechanical failure, Alonso WILL be on the Podium after the race. He adapted much better, much quicker than Juan Pablo Montoya did in coming over from F1. JPM couldn't keep his car from either getting crushed against the wall, or bursting into flames for quite some time as a rookie Indy driver.

I'm excited about the Indy 500 for the first time in a very long time.

Yeah, Alonso's talent is really showing through here. it is amazing how quickly he has adapted to a track and car he's never driven before.

I think this is a strategic move on his part to show the other teams just how good he is, since the McLaren Honda is so bad that it is hiding what he is capable of.

Fernando Alonso took provisional Pole away from Indy Car Champ Tony Canaan today before eventually securing a 5th position, 2nd grid row start for the Mother of all Races. Not bad Fernando, not bad. The look of disgust and disdain on Tony's face when he realized he had to remove himself and his car from the Pole Sitter's spot was priceless.

Short of a crash out or mechanical failure, Alonso WILL be on the Podium after the race. He adapted much better, much quicker than Juan Pablo Montoya did in coming over from F1. JPM couldn't keep his car from either getting crushed against the wall, or bursting into flames for quite some time as a rookie Indy driver.

I'm excited about the Indy 500 for the first time in a very long time.

Alonso showed he's one of the best in the world. He seems to be like Mario, a guy who could drive any car on any surface.

JPM won the CART title before going to F1, so he wasn't really an IndyCar rookie (except strictly by the rules), and he won the 500 easily on his first try while still in CART.

Also, did everyone notice they had to change Alonso's HONDA engine right before 2nd qualy?

Alonso showed he's one of the best in the world. He seems to be like Mario, a guy who could drive any car on any surface.

JPM won the CART title before going to F1, so he wasn't really an IndyCar rookie (except strictly by the rules), and he won the 500 easily on his first try while still in CART.

Also, did everyone notice they had to change Alonso's HONDA engine right before 2nd qualy?
CART was the last of the great Indy Cars. Totally different ball game altogether. The CART cars were very similar in every way to F1 cars. Certainly a much easier transition.

Let us not forget JPM's illustrious NASCAR run that including slamming into a parked jet dryer truck full of aviation fuel at 200 MPH. Even Crashtor never fucked up that hard.

I was pleased for Alonso, a driver I have always liked. Still I think the race itself will be far different than qualifying. I hope he does well and clearly others with little experience have in the past (like last year) but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

Holy crap, Kimi takes pole and Ferrari locks out the front row! Hamilton had problems with his car in Q2 and the best he could do was 14th. Let's see which Ferrari wins the drag race to turn 1 tomorrow.

Back