The 2016 Formula One Thread.

Mercedes seems to be going out of their way to hand this wdc to Nico. How many pit/strategy errors have they made with Lewis now? How many for Nico? And still Nico can't do it.

Oh yeah, hey Nico, karmas a bitch.

Last edited:
I agree it seems like Mercedes is doing all they can to get a WDC for Nico. I was wondering why they put Hamilton on harder tires than Nico in the final stint. But it turned out to be the correct call as Nico's tires appeared to give up in the closing laps.

I don't think the record for fastest lap was broken, but they came pretty close. The official fastest lap is set during the race not qualifying.

I agree it seems like Mercedes is doing all they can to get a WDC for Nico. I was wondering why they put Hamilton on harder tires than Nico in the final stint. But it turned out to be the correct call as Nico's tires appeared to give up in the closing laps.

I don't think the record for fastest lap was broken, but they came pretty close. The official fastest lap is set during the race not qualifying.

I liked Hamilton's radio traffic on that subject:

"What tires does Nico have?"

"Nico is on the supersoft..."

"Why is he on the supersoft and I am on ..." the harder tires. The question was asked in the tone of:

"You fuckers did what?..."

As I have stated before: I am not much of an Hamilton fan because of his antics the last few seasons he was with McLaren, yet I found myself wanting him to run down Nico (Whom I feel is a full-on bitch) and win. I was expecting Nico to pull his bitch move on Hamilton when Hamilton made the pass. I was pleased as punch that Nico damaged his car so badly he had to slow down.

They should have given him a 45 second penalty IMO.

That Verstappen kid looks legit.

Mercedes is about to undo themselves. Such is the sport.

So awesome to see Manor in the points again, but bittersweet. Makes me think of Jules Bianchi.

Honda just might get their act together in time for 2017. At least with the car. They may not have any drivers.

Nice to see Force India running fast, but there's a big question about their future.

Sauber is cooked. Stick a fork in 'em. Next year's grid might have 18 cars.

That Verstappen kid looks legit.

Mercedes is about to undo themselves. Such is the sport.

So awesome to see Manor in the points again, but bittersweet. Makes me think of Jules Bianchi.

Honda just might get their act together in time for 2017. At least with the car. They may not have any drivers.

Nice to see Force India running fast, but there's a big question about their future.

Sauber is cooked. Stick a fork in 'em. Next year's grid might have 18 cars.
Supposedly Marcus Ericsson's backers are buying the team. They apparently paid the team their back wages already.

I read a story that said the tire choice was dictated by what each driver had left, not by what the team thought was the best choice.

Anybody see the press release Mercedes issued after Lauda shot his mouth off and aired Hamilton's dirty laundry in public?

"Niki never said any of that stuff (even though it was on TV), it was taken out of context, it was blown wildly out of proportion..." Translation: We have put a proper muzzle on Niki. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Supposedly Marcus Ericsson's backers are buying the team. They apparently paid the team their back wages already.

I read a story that said the tire choice was dictated by what each driver had left, not by what the team thought was the best choice.

Anybody see the press release Mercedes issued after Lauda shot his mouth off and aired Hamilton's dirty laundry in public?

"Niki never said any of that stuff (even though it was on TV), it was taken out of context, it was blown wildly out of proportion..." Translation: We have put a proper muzzle on Niki. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Oh yeah, Merc was definitely in damage control mode. But Niki has no filter between his brain and his mouth, and he just says whatever comes to mind without thinking about the consequences. Kinda refreshing if you ask me. I will be very surprised if he is with the team next year.

Nobody has anything to say? Once again Mercedes went out of their way, way out, to help Nico and once again he failed. I'm thinking Nico will be riding in another car next year. Go Louis!

Looks like the FIA had something to say about radio coaching. Rosberg has been demoted to third place.

I thought it was stupid starting the race behind the safety car. What the hell are the full wet tires for? On top of that the safety car was out for far too long. One maybe two laps was sufficient. The track was halfway dry by the time they finally got racing, hence why half the field came in for intermediates right after they safety car was pulled in.

Verstappen continues to amaze me. This kid is something else. The way he places his car to defend his position when a superior car is trying to pass is just sublime. I look forward to watching him race for many more years.

This was Hamilton race all the way. His skill driving in the wet are well known, and this weeks GP was no exception. In the dry he attacks the corners very aggressively, but he can be smooth when he needs to be, and that is what you need driving in wet conditions.

I think that most of the teams are going to give up on developing this years cars now. Mercedes will not be caught this year. They had nearly 1 sec of pace over the next team in qualifying. That car is just too good. Of course Renault is bringing another update later in the year, so that may bring Red Bull closer, but by then it will be too late. Mercedes pretty much has the WCC and WDC locked up. The only thing that will keep the WDC interesting is the penalties that Hamilton will face since he is on his last engine with 10 more races to go. (Wow this is a long season).

McLaren looked pretty racy early on. Too bad about Alonso spinning at Turn 1. He looked so competitive. It was nice to see him able to fight for position. They say that the McLaren chassis is very good, and given what I saw during the wet part of the race that appears to be true. Honda needs to get the engine up to snuff ASAP.

Ferrari looked pathetic. Alonso may be right about them not being any better than they were during his time there. They don't have many more tokens to develop the engine further this year. I suspect they will be starting next years car and focusing their efforts there. That gear box of theirs seems to be made of glass. How many times have they had to change gear boxes on their cars this year?

Amen on starting behind the safety car. That's twice this season they've deprived me of the most exciting part of the race. If they're going to do that, they should take a few laps behind the safety car, then reform the grid and do a proper standing start.

Boy, Nico sure can't drive on a wet track. Even Verstappen showed him what's what. That kid is something else. I would've loved to have seen him go up to Rosberg after the penalty and say, "Hey, I think that's my trophy you've got there."

From GrandPrix.com:

"JULY 22, 2016
F1 to revive grid starts for wet races?

Following a spate of recent criticism, F1 could revive the old concept of starting wet grands prix from the grid.

Although not an explicit rule, a normal standing-start now rarely occurs on a wet track, such as last time out at Silverstone for the British grand prix.

That rolling start attracted a lot of criticism so Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that a solution will be proposed next week at Hockenheim, ahead of the German grand prix.

It is claimed race director Charlie Whiting will meet with team bosses to discuss a way to ensure safety whilst not compromising the spectacle of a traditional standing start.

Auto Motor und Sport said the proposal is for the field to run behind the safety car on a wet track until the conditions are safe. Then, the cars would pull up to their original grid hatchings for a normal standing start.

The details of the proposal, such as whether the safety car laps count towards the race, will reportedly be discussed with Whiting in Hockenheim."

I am a fucking genius.

Nico on pole, but once again only due to Hamilton's bad luck. I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will be saying Mercedes paid Alonso to spin in front of Hamilton and get his car going again just in time for Nico to fly by.

They're predicting thunderstorms for tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get some rain (after the start) to make things interesting.

Not much overtaking during the race, but the battle between Kimi and Max was fun to watch.

Hamilton finally got a good race start off the line, but his "struggle for pace" on the second and last stints was more about managing the car and tires, than any limitation of the car.

McLaren had a nice opportunity to come away with some good points (both cars in Q3), but reliability continues to plague them. If they really think they will challenge for the championship next year, they are deluding themselves unless they make their cars more reliable.

It looks like a straight fight between Ferrari and Red Bull for 3rd. Although given Mercedes huge points advantage, and the big changes coming for next year, I don't see either of these teams bringing big developments much more. Maybe something for Spa and Monza, but that will be it.

I can't believe Mercedes re-signed Nico. There are plenty of good number 2 drivers out there that could be had for less. Also Louis and Nico are pretty close to the same age. An age that's getting up there for a Formula 1 driver. Now would have been the time to go after a young driver and groom him as Louis' replacement.

I'm on the edge of just giving up on F1. I dearly love it, but this nonsense of season after season of one team/driver finishing 30 seconds ahead of the next car is just boring as hell. It's just not fun to watch anymore. This season is a lead pretty much decided, and I see no reason to expect different next year.

I am curious what in the world happened to Williams though. Their rise to nearly their legendary status as a championship contender followed by an even quicker disintegration is crazy. I feel terrible for Massa and Bottas.

I'm on the edge of just giving up on F1. I dearly love it, but this nonsense of season after season of one team/driver finishing 30 seconds ahead of the next car is just boring as hell. It's just not fun to watch anymore. This season is a lead pretty much decided, and I see no reason to expect different next year.

I am curious what in the world happened to Williams though. Their rise to nearly their legendary status as a championship contender followed by an even quicker disintegration is crazy. I feel terrible for Massa and Bottas.

I think Williams performance over the last 2 years was a perfect storm of circumstance of all the other teams that were previously ahead of them fell way back. Any team running a Renault power unit was destined to be behind Mercedes powered cars, Ferrari was completely out to lunch in 2014, McLaren had lost its way since 2012. The limitation of in season development on the power units ensured that advantage for all of 2014, and it was so great that no amount of chassis aero development could help overcome it.
As Ferrari came forward in 2015 with the improvements to their power unit and a solid chassis design they overtook Williams in pace, since Williams has had historically poor aerodynamic efficiency on their cars in the last 10 years. So the slide began. Now Renault have sorted out their power unit to help Red Bull become more competitive, and McLaren are in the upswing too. Additionally Torro Rosso have a down right competitive car too (if they had a better engine I think they would be even with Red Bull). Then throw in the surprising performane of Haas this year, and well you can easily see how Williams fell so far so fast. They don't have the budget to hire the engineering talents the bigger teams do, and as a result they really can't close the gap on chassis development.

As to the predictability of the season, I blame that on the testing ban. 10 years ago the relative performance of at least a couple of teams would change from race to race, and I think that was due to the fact it was easier to develop the cars since you could do real world testing on them and know right away if it would work or not. Now they have to rely on wind tunnels and CFD to test parts, and as Ferrari over the last several years has demonstrated does not always translate to on track performance. So what used to take weeks not takes months to do. And so the WCC is decided by the time they hit the first GP, unless something unusual happens to the front running cars (break down or crash). I know this was done to reign in the costs, but I think it has hurt the sport as a whole.

Not much overtaking during the race, but the battle between Kimi and Max was fun to watch.

Hamilton finally got a good race start off the line, but his "struggle for pace" on the second and last stints was more about managing the car and tires, than any limitation of the car.
I liked Will Buxton's conspiracy theory. I have no problem believing Hamilton would back Rosberg into the 3rd place car. He didn't pick up the pace until the team threatened to pit Rosberg first.

Verstappen continues to look like a future World Champion.

James Allison got fired from Ferrari. Apparently, he didn't see eye-to-eye with Sergio, who doesn't like people who have opinions other than his. They also thought he was spending too much time in England with his kids after the death of his wife. Rumor has it that Renault, McLaren or Mercedes may be interested in his services. Oh, and Ross Brawn may show up at Hockenheim...

For some good news, the radio ban has been lifted except for the period between the start of the formation lap and lights out! Even more good news, in 2017 if the start of the race is wet, they'll do recon laps behind the safety car until it's deemed safe, then reform the grid and start the race (like I suggested in post #170!). Hooray!

And, the halo has been rejected for 2017. Not sure if that's good or bad. Good as long as no one dies, I guess.

Reactions: OGG
Ferrari needs Adrian Newey. They will never win another WDC or WCC without him or his equal. The fact that Red Bull can be as competitive as they have been, even when they had the worst engine on the grid is proof that. At the same time, no matter how many ponies Maranello throws into their chassis, they get punked by teams that should have no business doing so.

We'll see come next year, but Alonso's move from Ferrari to McLaren may have been the right one after all. It seems all Ferrari can muster is a 2nd or 3rd place car at best.

Back