The 2016 Formula One Thread.

20 years ago that crash would have either severely injured or even killed the driver. It is amazing how far motorsports has come when it comes to safety.

Incidentally Ferrari and Honda are bringing updated Turbos for their engines this week. It will be interesting to see what, if any, gains are made in relative performance. Plus we will get to see what that Renault update really brought. These are the things that get me excited about Formula 1. The engineer in me loves to see who built the better machine.

45Gs should pretty much be fatal in ant circumstance. No doubt he would not have survived such a wreck in an older car. To be able to crawl from that twisted pile of metal and razor sharp broken CF with only a few cracked ribs is noting short of miraculous. You compare something like that to the relatively benign wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt in an instant, and it makes it all the more confounding. You would think if ever an internal decapitation were going to happen, 45Gs should be well beyond enough to do it. From what I understand, he didn't even suffer a concussion. That dude doesn't just have balls of steel, apparently his brain is made of steel as well.

As fro this week's big power upgrades, I'm very curious. As much as I want Honda to get their act together for Alonso and Button, my confidence in them is very low. Ferrari already had pretty good grunt, it's their chassis that sucks. I'm not sure a few extra ponies are going to vault them ahead of the Mercs. Red Bull on the other hand... Look out. If Renault manages even a marginal bump in muscle the Mercs are in big trouble. Big. Close that straight line speed gap between them, and I could easily see Daniel Ricciardo holding up a WDC trophy in a few months while Hamilton and Rosberg weep.

Actually OGG not really

The NHTSA standard for a sudden impact acceleration on a human that would cause severe injury or death is 75 g's for a "50th percentile male", 65 g's for a "50th percentile female", and 50 g's for a "50th percentile child". These figures assume the human is taking the impact on the chest/stomach, the back, sides or the head. The average value is about 65 g's, so I used that for the fatal impact acceleration on a human being."

This is the kind of stuff I learn from watching Mythbusters (I miss that show). Nevertheless it was a substantial accident and he was very very lucky. I think F1 drivers are probably better than the 50th percentile male.

Reactions: OGG
After FP1 Mercedes are still the ones to beat. All the top 8 trap speeds were Mercedes powered cars well over 330 kph, whereas Ferrari on Renault were in the 320's and Honda could only muster 318 kph:facepalm:

I ended up watching the race streaming to my tablet because NBC felt the need to preempt the race covering the shooting in Florida and then they preempted the replay with golf. :mad:

At any rate it appears that Ferrari have found some real pace with their updates, and Red Bull are in the mix too. The rest of this season could get very interesting. Vettel likely would have won if he had done a one stop strategy, but I don't think anyone thought Hamilton would make his tires last as long as they did. The race was exciting from start to finish, and Verstappen continues to impress me very much. The way he held off Rosberg for so long making his car very wide and not doing anything stupid was incredible! He is a real racer, not just a one lap wonder.

McLaren still are embarassingly slow, and Honda don't seem to know what to do, even though it appears the rest of the engine suppliers seem to have figured it out. Either that, or they have given up on this years engine since they can totally redesign it next year since the token system is being abandoned.

Hamilton is on the march again towards another WDC, but it won't be the walk in the park it has been for the last two seasons. If he wins the WDC this year it will be the most impressive championship of his career. The last two all he had to worry about was Rosberg, who although very quick, he doesn't have the mental fortitude to keep up over the course of a season. But now he has to worry about the likes of Riccardo, Verstappen an Vettel breathing down his neck. I imagine that he will get some grid penalties later in the year as a result of the reliability woes he suffered early on too, so that will have an impact to since he no longer has that 1 sec per lap advantage he had before.

This is turning out to be the best season since 2012.

I ended up watching the race streaming to my tablet because NBC felt the need to preempt the race covering the shooting in Florida and then they preempted the replay with golf. :mad:

At any rate it appears that Ferrari have found some real pace with their updates, and Red Bull are in the mix too. The rest of this season could get very interesting. Vettel likely would have won if he had done a one stop strategy, but I don't think anyone thought Hamilton would make his tires last as long as they did. The race was exciting from start to finish, and Verstappen continues to impress me very much. The way he held off Rosberg for so long making his car very wide and not doing anything stupid was incredible! He is a real racer, not just a one lap wonder.

McLaren still are embarassingly slow, and Honda don't seem to know what to do, even though it appears the rest of the engine suppliers seem to have figured it out. Either that, or they have given up on this years engine since they can totally redesign it next year since the token system is being abandoned.

Hamilton is on the march again towards another WDC, but it won't be the walk in the park it has been for the last two seasons. If he wins the WDC this year it will be the most impressive championship of his career. The last two all he had to worry about was Rosberg, who although very quick, he doesn't have the mental fortitude to keep up over the course of a season. But now he has to worry about the likes of Riccardo, Verstappen an Vettel breathing down his neck. I imagine that he will get some grid penalties later in the year as a result of the reliability woes he suffered early on too, so that will have an impact to since he no longer has that 1 sec per lap advantage he had before.

This is turning out to be the best season since 2012.
Yeah, WTF?!?!?!?!

I avoided spoilers all day and after a very long day of painting and suffering through a house crawling with visitors, I settled into to finally relax with my F1 fix from the DVR.

Fucking Golf?!

GOLF!?????

MOTHERFUCKERS.

First race I have missed in over 4 years. Sunsabitches.

I found the live feed on Univision and was watching that, (No I am not fluent in Spanish but words are not needed in this case). Then, on a whim, I checked CNBC. I know that when NBC and NBCSN feeds are trumped by other events or breaking news they will, often, throw the feed to CNBC, so I checked there and found the race, just before the formation lap ended. When the IndyCar race came on NBCSN I switched between the two until the Indy race was delayed (then postponed).

Anyhoo, next time if it cannot be shown live on NBC or NBCSN look to Univision or CNBC before you give up.

I watched FP2 this morning. What the hell happened to Ferrari? They were outpaced by a Toro Rosso car using a 1 year old engine.

The GP2 race at Baku was a total shit storm. I think they ran about 5 laps under green the whole race. 10 cars out of a field of 22 finished the race, and the race ended with a time deadline as they spent most of the race behind the safety car. I think tomorrow's F1 race is going to suck, at least if the GP2 race is any indication. The only exciting parts of the race was watching everyone trying to figure out what the fuck the flag people were signaling to the cars, and why it takes 10 people and a forklift 10 minutes to move a car 20 feet.

Last edited:
The GP2 race at Baku was a total shit storm. I think they ran about 5 laps under green the whole race. 10 cars out of a field of 22 finished the race, and the race ended with a time deadline as they spent most of the race behind the safety car. I think tomorrow's F1 race is going to suck, at least if the GP2 race is any indication. The only exciting parts of the race was watching everyone trying to figure out what the fuck the flag people were signaling to the cars, and why it takes 10 people and a forklift 10 minutes to move a car 20 feet.
Wow, I hope the F1 guys have their shit together a bit more than that. It looks like the narrow section is going to be trouble, especially the entrance.

I won't post any spoilers about the race, but I will say that the F1 drivers were much better than the GP2 drivers at avoiding accidents. I think the F1 face was mostly green flag racing.

The top speeds they were hitting were insane. It was reported that Massa hit 230 MPH on saturday. That's faster than they go at Monza! It's an interesting track layout. Kudos to the F1 drivers getting through the race without any wrecks. In fact I think the race pace was the fastest it's been all season. It was over in 1 hr and 32 min.

I spent 18 hours, Saturday, watching Le Mans via live stream. I was captivated the whole time. Usually I will read while watching long races but I could not take my eyes off the TV for very long. I finally fell asleep at about 0200 hours, pacific time ( i could not keep my eyes open), and missed the finish. From what I heard, I missed the best part, but I still consider it time well spent.

I caught the replay of the Baku race yesterday afternoon. I started watching it just as it started. I was able to grind through ten laps of the same old shit then turned the TV to the History Channel and watched "Battle Group Spruance". Even though I know how it ends it was still more interesting...

F1 is merely WWE on wheels now.

Hamilton berated other drivers as "moaners" because they had safety concerns about the track: "One thing for sure, these drivers they moan so much about so many damn things." Then he's the guy whining on the radio that he can't fix the problem with his car (the same problem that Nico had no problem fixing). After the race, he whined some more about the restrictive radio rules. What a dick.

I thought he was the one that complained so much about driver coaching last year to get it banned. I thought he didn't like Nico getting times and setup info from the pit crew.

I just wish they'd get rid of all this hybrid bullshit. Sure the cars are fast, but they aren't very exciting to watch. I found the Baku race a bit boring. I was watching some youtube videos the other day with on boards of McLaren and Ferrari through all their years in F1. Up to 2013 the cars just sounded epic, now they sound like shit.

I just wish they'd get rid of all this hybrid bullshit. Sure the cars are fast, but they aren't very exciting to watch. I found the Baku race a bit boring. I was watching some youtube videos the other day with on boards of McLaren and Ferrari through all their years in F1. Up to 2013 the cars just sounded epic, now they sound like shit.
If you've never seen the DVD 50 Years of Formula 1 On-Board, I highly recommend it. It's not as good as it could be, but definitely worth a watch. There's one shot of Schumi and Hakkinen splitting a backmarker at the end of Kemmel Straight at Spa that is epic.

Nico has already blitzed Schumi's track record in practice. Since it was practice, it's unofficial, but the record should fall easily in qualy.

Holy shit! Nico is going to be walking funny for the next week with Toto Wolff's foot hanging out of his ass.

Another great race for Verstappen, Button 6th, Grosjean brings it home 7th, and Wehrlein scores a point for Manor!

Reactions: OGG
Back