The 2016 Formula One Thread.

He ran Nico off the track 3 times last season.

The team order was not to pull over and let Nico by, it was to speed up, and it's not the first race they've told him that. I don't have a problem with Hamilton's tactic of slowing Nico down; that's good race craft. I have a problem with his ignoring team orders. Racing is a team sport and the drivers are supposed to do what's best for the team, not for themselves. You can argue that a great driver does whatever it takes to win, but it's still selfish. I have no respect for that.

"Yeah things break but how many times do teams put the wrong tires on one drivers car and the right ones on the other's." Bottas, Spa last season.

"How many strategy mistakes does a team make for one driver but none for the other." Ask Ricciardo about that.

"Can't give one driver advice over the radio because it's against the rules but they can get on the radio and help the other guy when he has problems." Yeah, that one's legit.

I'm not arguing that Rosberg is better than Hamilton. He's not. Hamilton is head and shoulders above Rosberg. He's still a douchebag.

In this case the team order was pointless and stupid. Mercedes had nothing to gain or lose whether or not they won the race. The WCC and WDC had already been fated to the team. It was only down to which driver would get the title, and Hamilton was doing what he had to do to get the title, there was no other way short of Nico's engine blowing up. Did the team really think he would just throw away a shot at the title when there was nothing more to gain or lose for the team? Besides there was more than enough pace on the Merc to keep the pack behind. By the time Vettel got to Rosberg he had used up his tires anyway, and Ferrari does not have nearly the grunt the Mercedes does down the straight.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiicoooooooooooooo!

I don't buy any of the conspiracy theories. Stuff breaks. It's happened before on other teams where one driver has lots of problems and the other doesn't.

Hamilton has shown that he's both a poor winner (throwing the second place cap in Nico's lap last year at COTA) and a poor loser (repeatedly ignoring team orders yesterday). He's a tremendously talented driver and blindingly fast, and yes, he would have won the championship easily if he hadn't had all those problems, but he lost, and he's a flaming dickhead.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicoooooooooooo!

Nico has shown, time and time again, that he could not hold his father's jock strap. I am not too fond of Hamilton - I think he handled his last few years at McLaren poorly and his propensity to shunt passing drivers reminded me of the nitwits who populate public servers in the popular racing sims.

That being said, Nico makes Hamilton look like a perfect gentleman. He is a poor competitor who thinks nothing of crashing into another driver at high speed sections, (Both the shunt with Hamilton at A-1, and the shunt with Verstappen at Hockenheim occurred at the end of the fastest sections of the tracks. Sure, they were slowing down but this is not like one driver nudging another as they enter No Name at Spa: relatively low approach and entry speeds, compared to the high approach speeds of turn 2 at A-1 and the hairpin at Hockenheim). He whines as much, if not more, than Hamilton and has, since Merc became the 800 lb. gorilla of the sport, felt that he was entitled to the championship(s). He was pissed when they signed Hamilton as their #1 driver and has acted like it every moment since.

This may be a team sport but the drivers are fighting for themselves to win as only one is crowned champion. Make no mistake: This is not the Denver Broncos fighting for a ring that everyone will receive, (and the concurrent paycheck), if they win, this is one driver fighting against another for the crown only he will wear. The team aspect is the Constructor's Championship and Merc had that wrapped up well before last weekend.

What better way to win a championship than having a German Driver win in a German car?

There is always a conspiracy in F1. You think Chapman let Peterson and Andretti duke it out? How about Ferrari letting Schumacher and Barrichello decide on the track who was going to win? How many championships would Barrichello have now if not for team orders? Two? Three?

Team orders and desires have always been present in F1, as have team favorites. Just ask Prost.

Yeah, there are conspiracies, and to deny that Nico was handed this season (as much as they could do) is ignoring the obvious in F1.

Hamilton had no obligation to accede to Nico's whining Sunday. He ran the race he felt he needed to do to beat Nico. Nico whined, and Mercedes patted him on the head, by insisting that Hamilton speed up. "Letting the team win the race..." was merely a poor excuse to justify the whining of Nico and the mollifying of Merc.

Nico Rossberg has announced his retirement from F1. His goal was to win the championship, and with that accomplished, he is happy to move on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...e-mercedes-world-champion-shock-a7451986.html

Wow. Did NOT see that coming.

No way Mercedes are going to can Hamilton now as has been suggested they might for disobeying team orders.

Open seat available at the World Champions. Who wants a seat? Fernando, doing anything interesting next year? Sebastian? Daniel, Max?

I bet the Mercedes factory's phone is ringing off the hook with sports management lawyer's calls. I wonder who will take the seat. My guess is that Merc will aim to put someone good but not threatening to Lewis in the spot, but you can't really tell with guys like Niki Lauda involved. I would think Niki would suggest the best talent they could get and let Lewis and the new person fight it out on track.

I bet the Mercedes factory's phone is ringing off the hook with sports management lawyer's calls. I wonder who will take the seat. My guess is that Merc will aim to put someone good but not threatening to Lewis in the spot, but you can't really tell with guys like Niki Lauda involved. I would think Niki would suggest the best talent they could get and let Lewis and the new person fight it out on track.

Alonso's locker @ McLaren-Honda right now:
Jobu.jpeg

Alonzo, Sabastian, Daniel, Max, all under contract. Silly season is over, everyone is signed. Nico so screwed Mercedes. What's left? Button, Massa? Gutierrez, Maldanado? Probably a promotion coming for the development driver Wehrlien. He's German.

Holy shit! I read this a few hours ago and almost dropped my phone.

Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen are all under contract, as Rick pointed out. Alonso is too, but only has a year left. With Ron Dennis out, McLaren might be willing to part ways with him. I can't see Mercedes hiring Button (who is still under contract with McLaren) or Massa. Wehrhlein seems the likely choice. Maybe a one-year contract as a placeholder until Alonso or someone else is freed up.

Although Hamilton had some nice, respectful things to say about Rosberg's retirement, he couldn't resist throwing in some dickish comments:

"Well, this is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it's not a surprise that he decided to stop."

"Of course it is a shame that he won't allow me to fight it to take it back, but that was his choice and I respect his decision -- go out on top while you can. I have a different viewpoint. I won the championship the last two years and I gave an opportunity each year to have another shot for someone."

I would love to see Alonso grab that seat, but no way. Not only would they have to buy out his contract, but he himself would surely be hitting the beach in retirement if not for that last year has signed on for. He's no spring chicken. I don't think he's lost a step at all, but the younger guys coming up are from another planet. These kids are legit, and it's a great opportunity for Mercedes to find their Vettel.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see Verstappen in Rosberg's seat. Imagine him and Hamilton duking it out! If you thought Rosberg and Hamilton hated each other...

Reactions: OGG
It looks like Wehrlein is the frontrunner for Rosberg's seat. Toto Wolff said he got phone calls from everyone on the grid except Kvyat and Raikkonen.

Oh, and France is back on the calendar for 2018, but at Paul Ricard instead of Magny-Cours.

Does Dildonado still have a sponsor? If not, I can't see Manor or Sauber hiring him, and no team that doesn't need the money would pay him to crash test their cars in a race.

Reactions: OGG
Back