The 2016 Formula One Thread.

ok....i just watched the last 30 minutes of the season opener of Formula E in japan. i have to ask....what was the point to this?
the course is so short and the turns are so tight that i doubt the cars got over 50 mph. they could have run the race all driving Priuses.
:bor::bor::bor:

Another good race at Suzuka. No real challenge for Rosberg for the win, but a great battle at the end between Verstappen and Hamilton. Hamilton got another shitty start and was 8th after turn 2. He battled back to 3rd, but Verstappen gave no quarter. The Red Bull was rocketing out of the last corner, so Hamilton couldn't get close enough to even attempt a pass in turn 1, even with DRS.

Nico is now 33 points ahead with 4 races left, so it's his championship to win. Go Nico!

I just watched the last 2 races today because I was on vacation. It is weird that Hamilton is having all the reliability issues while Rosberg hasn't had any, but that's the way it goes in racing sometimes. Robert will clinch it in Austin if he gets the win there. I expect that to be a very exciting race.
I can't believe how pathetic McLaren were at Suzuka.

Verstappen is an awesome driver.

Well that wasn't the most exciting USGP, but I enjoyed the battle between Sainz, Massa, and Alonso. Too bad the VSC ruined what might have been an epic battle for 2nd between Rosberg and Ricciardo. I also noticed that this years pole time was almost 1 second faster than vettels pole in 2012. I can't imagine what it will be like next year with the bigger tire, more HP, and more downforce.

Race wasn't exciting at the front following the VSC, but the mid pack racing was fantastic. We
Were at turn 12 where all the passing happens, so it was really exciting. We had a great time. Today at the airport we ran into four engineers from from Manor and we had some beers together for a few hours waiting for our
Flights . They were really nice brits and were excited to talk about all things F1 .

Well the end of that race was pretty exciting with the battle between Vettel, Verstappen, and Ricciardo. It sure seemed like there were a lot of inconsistencies by the stewards though. Bottas set the straight line speed record at 231 mph in the speed traps. I don't think that record will be touched for awhile with the additional downforce (and therefore drag) coming in next year.

Quite a roller coaster for Vettel. From 4th to 3rd to 5th, all after the race ended. Poor Ricciardo gets screwed again, and doesn't get to celebrate his podium. How'd you like to be the guy who has to go to the Ferrari garage and say, "Uh, guys, we're gonna need that trophy back."

How does Hamilton cut turns 1 and 2 on lap 1, keep his lead and get no penalty? I could see how Rosberg didn't get a penalty because Verstappen hip checked him off the track, but nobody touched Hamilton. He just outbraked himself.

Verstappen made what has to be one the most ridiculous saves ever in motorsports...how he held that car off the rail without swappingends I will never understand...

Verstappen made what has to be one the most ridiculous saves ever in motorsports...how he held that car off the rail without swappingends I will never understand...
Is there anything this kid can't do? He was passing cars like they were standing still, in places where it's impossible to pass. If Red Bull has competitive cars next year, Hamilton will be spending a lot of time looking at Verstappen's gearbox.

A real shame Massa crashed out. His walk back to the garage brought a tear to my eye.

Verstappen's drive was amazing. He really is bringing some much needed excitement to the sport.

So now it's all down to the last race, by all Nico has to do is finish on the podium. Not a tall order for the Merc.

Nico sucks. Bernie's point system sucks. How the hell do you win that many races and not win the championship?

Nico sucks. Bernie's point system sucks. How the hell do you win that many races and not win the championship?
Too many DNF that's how. I still have trouble understanding how Hamilton was the only Mercedes powered car to have that many problems over the season, and how it all started coincidentally with the mechanics swap they did between them over the winter.

Some people were complaining about Hamilton backing up Rosberg to the oncoming pack, but that is the only way that he might have been able to win the championship. Rosberg could have tried to overtake Hamilton if he thought he could go faster. He had nothing to lose if they both crashed out, but he held on and did what he had to do to win the title.

Mercedes did everything they could all season to hand it to Nico. Lewis was the reigning champion and they treated him like a #2 driver all season. It was like they decided it was Nico's turn and they spent the season making it happen.

Reactions: OGG
Mercedes did everything they could all season to hand it to Nico. Lewis was the reigning champion and they treated him like a #2 driver all season. It was like they decided it was Nico's turn and they spent the season making it happen.
+1

Niiiiiiiiiiiiicoooooooooooooo!

I don't buy any of the conspiracy theories. Stuff breaks. It's happened before on other teams where one driver has lots of problems and the other doesn't.

Hamilton has shown that he's both a poor winner (throwing the second place cap in Nico's lap last year at COTA) and a poor loser (repeatedly ignoring team orders yesterday). He's a tremendously talented driver and blindingly fast, and yes, he would have won the championship easily if he hadn't had all those problems, but he lost, and he's a flaming dickhead.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicoooooooooooo!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiicoooooooooooooo!

I don't buy any of the conspiracy theories. Stuff breaks. It's happened before on other teams where one driver has lots of problems and the other doesn't.

Hamilton has shown that he's both a poor winner (throwing the second place cap in Nico's lap last year at COTA) and a poor loser (repeatedly ignoring team orders yesterday). He's a tremendously talented driver and blindingly fast, and yes, he would have won the championship easily if he hadn't had all those problems, but he lost, and he's a flaming dickhead.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicoooooooooooo!

OOoh, he threw a hat at him. He never rammed him off the track (what kind of flaming dickhead would risk killing someone to win a race). He was leading the race the whole way. Nico couldn't catch him all race so why should he move over and let Nico pass him at the end.

Yeah things break but how many times do teams put the wrong tires on one drivers car and the right ones on the other's. How many strategy mistakes does a team make for one driver but none for the other. Can't give one driver advice over the radio because it's against the rules but they can get on the radio and help the other guy when he has problems.

German team, German world champion. Preferable to letting der Englander win again.

OOoh, he threw a hat at him. He never rammed him off the track (what kind of flaming dickhead would risk killing someone to win a race). He was leading the race the whole way. Nico couldn't catch him all race so why should he move over and let Nico pass him at the end.

Yeah things break but how many times do teams put the wrong tires on one drivers car and the right ones on the other's. How many strategy mistakes does a team make for one driver but none for the other. Can't give one driver advice over the radio because it's against the rules but they can get on the radio and help the other guy when he has problems.

German team, German world champion. Preferable to letting der Englander win again.

He ran Nico off the track 3 times last season.

The team order was not to pull over and let Nico by, it was to speed up, and it's not the first race they've told him that. I don't have a problem with Hamilton's tactic of slowing Nico down; that's good race craft. I have a problem with his ignoring team orders. Racing is a team sport and the drivers are supposed to do what's best for the team, not for themselves. You can argue that a great driver does whatever it takes to win, but it's still selfish. I have no respect for that.

"Yeah things break but how many times do teams put the wrong tires on one drivers car and the right ones on the other's." Bottas, Spa last season.

"How many strategy mistakes does a team make for one driver but none for the other." Ask Ricciardo about that.

"Can't give one driver advice over the radio because it's against the rules but they can get on the radio and help the other guy when he has problems." Yeah, that one's legit.

I'm not arguing that Rosberg is better than Hamilton. He's not. Hamilton is head and shoulders above Rosberg. He's still a douchebag.

Back