The 200-mph club

244kmh (151mph) was the fastest I've ever driven, and that was plenty for me. At that point you are astutely aware that any small mishap is no longer "small".

Nice stats, but kinda useless.

Anyone who's ever driven that fast outside of a closed track... should never be allowed to drive ever again.
I couldn't agree more.
You know, all the laws we have about speeding etc and car manufacturers are still allowed to make vehicles that are capable of these speeds. Add to that every douche that thinks they can drive like Mario Andretti and it's a recipe for disaster.
I know it's a controversial subject but my work truck is governed for speed and RPM's and I get to all my stops on time everyday. The everyday passenger vehicle should be too.
And just about every car commercial on tv uses the selling point of speed and performance to sell their cars. They show some professional driver on a closed course barrel-assing through sharp turns....yeah, like anybody's commute is like that.

I couldn't agree more.
You know, all the laws we have about speeding etc and car manufacturers are still allowed to make vehicles that are capable of these speeds. Add to that every douche that thinks they can drive like Mario Andretti and it's a recipe for disaster.
I know it's a controversial subject but my work truck is governed for speed and RPM's and I get to all my stops on time everyday. The everyday passenger vehicle should be too.
And just about every car commercial on tv uses the selling point of speed and performance to sell their cars. They show some professional driver on a closed course barrel-assing through sharp turns....yeah, like anybody's commute is like that.

My commute isn't like that, but I occasionally go up to Mt. Palomar for some "spirited" driving, and there's nothing more fun the taking turns at speed. However I don't drive anywhere near the limit of what my car is capable of, and I typically back off if there is any traffic around, or areas where a car might "pop out" in front of me.

However after getting a very expensive ticket for going 91 in a 65, I don't really try to go anywhere near the top speed capabilities of my car, and honestly it would be very stupid for me to even attempt such a thing on public roads.

But you know there are some stretches of road in the south west U.S. where there is literally no one else around, it is very straight and I can see for miles where it gets tempting to put it to the floor and see what my Z06 will do, but then my common sense and self preservation kick in to stop me from attempting such a foolish thing.

You know, when I drive that slow, it's hard to steer. For fricks sake, I can't get get my care out of second gear. What used to take two hours now takes all day.
What's up with that? It took me 16 hours to get to L.A.

What are you gonna do, write me up a 125? Go ahead and post my face wanted dead or alive. Take my license, all that jive.
Whatevers.

You know, when I drive that slow, it's hard to steer. For fricks sake, I can't get get my care out of second gear. What used to take two hours now takes all day.
What's up with that? It took me 16 hours to get to L.A.

What are you gonna do, write me up a 125? Go ahead and post my face wanted dead or alive. Take my license, all that jive.
Whatevers.
ok....sammy

95 is the fastest I ever drove and I don’t want to do it again. I’ve turned into one of those assholes who drives the speed limit, and sometimes, on wide roads, less than the speed limit.

95 is the fastest I ever drove and I don’t want to do it again. I’ve turned into one of those assholes who drives the speed limit, and sometimes, on wide roads, less than the speed limit.

Honestly, I think that they should start ticketing for anyone over 70-75 under any circumstances, with a little leeway. Anyone driving 80 or above should get serious, progressive, and incremental fines.

Honestly, I think that they should start ticketing for anyone over 70-75 under any circumstances, with a little leeway. Anyone driving 80 or above should get serious, progressive, and incremental fines.
I think they should make it significantly harder to get, and keep a Driver's license. While I agree that reckless speed should be cracked down on, the biggest problem on the road isn't speeders. The biggest problem is the horde of hapless, distracted bafoons that shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel at all. The Autobahn and the Autostrada are pretty good arguments that speed alone is not necessarily "bad". You actually have to know how to drive in order to get a license in those countries (especially Germany) in the first place.

Of course, the car has to be capable as well. Half of the shitboxes on American roads shouldn't even BE on those roads.

Personally, I think anyone caught with a phone to their ear, or whom is otherwise distracted by a mobile device should lose their license for 6 months and pay a massive fine on the first offense, 1 year, and a bigger fine for the second, and serious jail time and a 5 year suspension for the third.

It's a daily occurrence for me to have to avoid some schmuck diddling with their phone. What kills me, is the asanine number of dickwads I see driving a late model, high end car... With a phone to their ear! Seriously WTF?!

My $15K 2014 FIAT has full Bluetooth connectivity and it's a base model. You can't tell me the asshole in the 2017 Mercedes S Class with the latest and greatest iPhone or Samsung to his fucking face doesn't have the same feature.

Anyways, I restrict my "fast driving" to track days on closed courses. However, there are stretches of hiway around here (Interstate 15 North of Escondido for example) where the speed limit is 70, but doing less than 80 will likely get you killed. That traffic flows between 80-85 MPH. It is what it is. The CHP won't even take a second look at any car going less than 90. They simply won't waste their time. Accidents are far less frequent on that stretch than anywhere else in the county, and a large portion of those that do happen, happen in the late night/early morning hours when the drunks are out and about.

Conversely, you drive on Interstate 5 South of Downtown San Diego, and everyone is always crawling along at a snail's pace and crashing into each other all damned day.

Bottom line, most people just shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel. Ever.

interstate 75 in ohio has a regular speed limit of 70 mph......so....what.....ticket everyone on it? everyone is doing 75 out there and the cops are doing 80.

interstate 75 in ohio has a regular speed limit of 70 mph......so....what.....ticket everyone on it? everyone is doing 75 out there and the cops are doing 80.

That's what I meant by leeway. Under good driving conditions, I don't think that ticketing would be necessary at 70-75. But, spending tons of time in Canada, those speeds can be extremely dangerous in the winter. Police discression is necessary there. But for those kinds of speeds, I'm not thinking major fines or demerits, just a slap-on-the-wrist deterrent with a small ($50-150) fine.

Once you get to 80, people are just deluding themselves by thinking "I'm a good driver, it's all good."

Well Texas has several stretches of highway that have a speed limit of 80, and the toll road between San Antonio and Austin has a limit of 85. Driving over 80 is not that big of a deal with most modern cars, as long as the idiot behind the wheel is paying attention. Of course in areas where there is more traffic, 75 is a much safer speed to travel at, and that is the prevailing speed I see on most free flowing freeways. However over 90 things to get a bit dicey no matter where you are.

When you have a gleaming alloy air-car shooting towards you, two lanes wide, you will be glad to know while spinning around with tires shrieking to run the deadly race, that your car is capable of doing 200 mph :embarrassed:

Back