That realization that I should have someone else setup my guitars occasionally

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I've been doing most of my own setup work for th last few years but I had a couple of issues I'm not equipped to handle so I took my McFeely 454 and my tele to TR Guitar's mobile truck to file the nuts on both guitars to accommodate the 11's I've been playing for the last year or so and to do a quick intonation. Turns out I suck at setting up guitars. The two instruments came back intonated so much better that I think I'm going to have him do the rest of my "main" instruments next week.

19441989_10155498840097425_1015954776871110762_o.jpg

I suck at setting up guitars. I can build them. But the mysteries of a good setup elude me. I found a local shop that will do minor setups at a very reasonable price if I restring the guitar myself. They will usually do the work while I wait.

Would you recommend the Mono guitar case line? Anything you particularly like or dislike?

But yeah. A good tech or luthier is invaluable.

Would you recommend the Mono guitar case line? Anything you particularly like or dislike?

I really like Mono cases and I actually feel comfortable putting my Les Pauls in them but I still wouldn't use them for acoustic instruments. I have both the single and double M80 bags and the pedalboard cases for the Pedaltrain 2 and 3 boards. They have held up great with the amount of use I put them through though I got my buddy Martin a Bass version that had a strange failure in the fabric.

Last edited:
The thing for me is that I have my guitars done mebbe once a year. Since I don't play out often, and am not in a band, I can't really justify the cost. The luthier I use charges 75 bones for strings & setup. And if it needs something like fret work he charges shop rate like an auto mechanic. Then there is the matter of him finding time to actually do the work. His shop is so busy that he can afford to not do it at all.

My wife got a M80 double electric bag 4 years ago. I trust it with any of my guitars and makes it a lot easier to load in and out at gigs/rehearsals with main guitar and spare/alternate being brought in on the same lift.

I hear ya. My PRS is in dire need of a setup, and it's above my pay grade. I'm going to bite the bullet and take it in soon.

Yeah, I can get the setup in the ball park, but I need a good tech to get it just right. I need to take my last build to my guy at some point before Barn Storm. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take him all 3.

Yeah, I can get the setup in the ball park, but I need a good tech to get it just right. I need to take my last build to my guy at some point before Barn Storm. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take him all 3.

Or just bring them and I'll run through them with you.

I need to have my Blacktop Strat set up by someone who knows what he's doing.

I'm good with set-up work, I just find it incredibly fucking frustrating to do. It's always great once it's done though.

I do want to send my McFeely back to Mark for his set-ups though... I've never had a guitar come "out of the box" that good before, except for my Collings and that's a completely different beast.

Back