That pesky cabin air filter

Steverino

black sheep
Pesky because you damn near have to be with Cirque du Soliel to get the damn thing out and a new one in.
Top filer in the top of the pic is new, the bottom is after 20K in 9 months of mostly interstate, in high humidity and rain.
B4C428C0-8358-4653-B96B-1D9AE80629A5_zpslqboj3yw.jpg

I'm impressed how well the system works and how much gunk it traps.

I bought 2, the next one will be going in a little sooner.

Last edited:
My old '99 Lexus with 240,000 miles still has the original one. Guess I should take a look at that.

It never ceases to amaze me when owners refuse to replace the filter, even after we present them with one clogged, blackened, and covered with mouse nests...

Mine is in a real hard place to get at also, against the firewall, above the transmission hump. I fail to see the critical nature of replacing it, but if I'm really bored someday . . .

My 2007 Charger didn't have one, but I put one in.
That involve yanking out a big molded plastic conduit kind of thing and putting in another big molded plastic conduit kind of thing with a spot for the filter.

That was fun.

I think I swapped the filter once in the time I had the car.

My old '99 Lexus with 240,000 miles still has the original one. Guess I should take a look at that.

If you weren't in the desert, that would probably better be called a mold and mildew generator rather than a cabin filter at this point :wink:

I've changed some reallllllly scuzzy ones in used cars & friends cars over the years.
One thing I've noticed about these is that depending on where you buy them & the brand, the prices are all over the map for the same basic filter.

One thing I've noticed about these is that depending on where you buy them & the brand, the prices are all over the map for the same basic filter.
There are differences between some of them...

Mitsubishi sells 2 different kinds, a regular HEPA filter which retails for 23.95 and a charcoal activated premium filter (which I don't stock) for almost 50.00...some of the aftermarket filters have different levels of micron filtering that also accounts for the variation in pricing...

There are differences between some of them...

Mitsubishi sells 2 different kinds, a regular HEPA filter which retails for 23.95 and a charcoal activated premium filter (which I don't stock) for almost 50.00...some of the aftermarket filters have different levels of micron filtering that also accounts for the variation in pricing...

Of course when you're talking different grades, different prices apply. Same as any product but I've found even the same brand of replacement cabin filters retail pretty wide when you start looking around compared to other filters like air or oil filters.

Mine is in a real hard place to get at also, against the firewall, above the transmission hump. I fail to see the critical nature of replacing it, but if I'm really bored someday . . .
That's where the filter is in the Focus. Very tight up in there.

Of course when you're talking different grades, different prices apply. Same as any product but I've found even the same brand of replacement cabin filters retail pretty wide when you start looking around compared to other filters like air or oil filters.
I went with the stock replacement (ten bucks or so) but the next one I buy, based on the very moldy-looking OEM filter just replaced, I'll look for something a little better.

Back