That Pedal Show – Klons, Archers, Tumnus, Soul Food & Klone. What Do We Think?

The Klon's makeup is more similar to an MXR Distortion in the drive stage but uses Germanium Diodes and FET IC's. Hence the cleaner quality in sound and clipping occuring at a 0.3v. The key what HIAR said is about the higher voltage. The higher voltage gives the second stage more headroom. The second stage is is purely to bump the overall volume up so if you wanted, you could use the pedal for just a clean boost.

As for the Red Llama, as HIAR it is C-MOS chip based. It is an old circuit from around the late 70's using the CD4049 Buffer/Driver chip. The chip contains 6 Buffer/Drivers and the pedal stacks 4 of them to get the Red Llama sound. Irony is the sound with this circuit somewhat emulates a Tweed type amp.

Why is it ironic?

IIRC Anderton created an Overdrive pedal for his electronics book that I bought in the 70's. It was even published in one of the 70's Guitar Player magazines. Can't recall verbatim what was in the article but from what I recall, it was a gritty sounding OD with no reference to a Tweed sound as compared to 35+ years later.

IIRC Anderton created an Overdrive pedal for his electronics book that I bought in the 70's. It was even published in one of the 70's Guitar Player magazines. Can't recall verbatim what was in the article but from what I recall, it was a gritty sounding OD with no reference to a Tweed sound as compared to 35+ years later.

It was published in his book, and in GP, and Anderton admits he doesn't remember where he got the circuit from. It is a gritty sounding OD and the tweed references definitely came later. I'm just interested in why you think that's ironic.

It was published in his book, and in GP, and Anderton admits he doesn't remember where he got the circuit from. It is a gritty sounding OD and the tweed references definitely came later. I'm just interested in why you think that's ironic.

Because of the references I too read somewhere.

Gonna also add that when I was playing in my TP tribute, my Llama clone would sound very similar to my cranked Tweed clone. This confirmed my reference and hence the irony.

Because of the references I too read somewhere.

Gonna also add that when I was playing in my TP tribute, my Llama clone would sound very similar to my cranked Tweed clone. This confirmed my reference and hence the irony.

But that's not irony, that's confirmation of sources.

I think the Pedal Show is great, but their two targets are working musician/gear geeks and hobbyists/gear geeks...and I use the term gear geeks affectionately. The difference range from obvious to subtle to imperceptible, but most folks could get by with any given one of the pedals that they're sampling in any of their comparisons. It is the gear geek side of some musicians that really notices and responds to those differences, and that is completely valid. We all know almost all of the music fans won't notice the difference, along with many musicians of all levels (or maybe with them it's more about caring about the differences). So, it's all about what we, the players, like and perceive as sounding better.

I find their videos, along with commentary from folks like Mark, Baimun, Saint, Chad, and the other folks that regularly gig OR work extensively with pedals to be far more helpful than the show alone. In the end it'll come down to what we each like...what sounds good, which others may think sounds bad (not only for them, but also for us). It's just in these videos and often in person, the pedals rarely sound really "bad", it's just might not be the sound we're looking for.

Sorry, it's not like you folks don't all know this, but I got to thinking and that got to typing and now we're all in this mess...

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying my Klone (I don't even know who made it). I would never spring for a real one. I use it as a slightly dirty boost. Watching the rig rundowns from Premier guitar, Klons are popping up in a lot of people's rigs.

Also, I'm digging That Pedal Show. Those guys are totally goofy and seem to have a great time doing it.

Back