That Pedal Show – Better Solo Tones For Everyone

I watched a bit of it. One impression that I get is that these guys have a good bit of gigging experience under their belt. Not a bad thing. From what I saw though they didn't get into what settings they used. I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that you need to have an idea of the tone you are going for and an idea of how to get there. Otherwise you might as well turn everything on your pedal board full up and hope you don't sound like crap.

I watched a bit of it. One impression that I get is that these guys have a good bit of gigging experience under their belt. Not a bad thing. From what I saw though they didn't get into what settings they used. I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that you need to have an idea of the tone you are going for and an idea of how to get there. Otherwise you might as well turn everything on your pedal board full up and hope you don't sound like crap.
They don't usually give exact settings but you can usually see what they are doing when they adjust things.

I think a major problem most folks have is that they don't use their ears when adjusting pedals.

They don't usually give exact settings but you can usually see what they are doing when they adjust things.

I think a major problem most folks have is that they don't use their ears when adjusting pedals.

I think another big problem, is people adjust their settings when they are at home without the band playing and not at gig levels. I know at one point that was my biggest problem. You get it setup perfectly, then you have to turn up the amp volume, and then the other guitar player and bass player are overlapping the frequencies you are playing in. Once I figured that out, I made sure to spend a good amount of time retweeking at rehearsals.

I think another big problem, is people adjust their settings when they are at home without the band playing and not at gig levels. I know at one point that was my biggest problem. You get it setup perfectly, then you have to turn up the amp volume, and then the other guitar player and bass player are overlapping the frequencies you are playing in. Once I figured that out, I made sure to spend a good amount of time retweeking at rehearsals.
I think they actually discuss that very thing in this video.

See, my thing is that I don't play out with other musicians on a regular basis. The closest thing to a gig I ever participated in was out at my old bud's house. He built an addition onto his house above his garage specifically as a jam room. His kid had a set of skins that he would be able to kill on a regular basis. The kid had chops. His thing was screamo metal so... while us music junkies knew what wave he was on, not many others did. I learned a hell of a lot from playing there.

Back