That 70's dude

I for one am extremely happy that this is all coming out. It's a movement that needed to happen. Rape and unwanted sexual advances are not OK and never were. But I do not want to at all sound like I'm victim blaming, but were all of these women who were violated by entertainment figures so desperate to get into the industry that they were all silent on these issues until now?? In droves?? It's also strange, coming from a corporate environment, to realize that government and the entertainment industry are still in the dark ages when it comes to sexual harassment. Anyone who's worked in any big company has been required to go through annual sexual harassment training since the 90s. Just like police departments seem to be the last stronghold of racism in America, entertainment and government are the last places where fat ugly men feel free to masturbate in front of woman who are repelled by fat ugly men.

…but were all of these women who were violated by entertainment figures so desperate to get into the industry that they were all silent on these issues until now?? In droves??

Yes. Cities like New York and LA are awash in dumb young people who think that they can be the next big thing. They’re already used to sucking a dick to keep a boyfriend happy, so watching a guy jack off for a bit part is a step up. Most of the people we’re hearing about are the ones who at least ended up working in the industry. There are probably thousands of abused and exploited women who washed out after one or two bit parts and they’ll never come forward because they’ve already given up and moved on.

I for one am extremely happy that this is all coming out. It's a movement that needed to happen. Rape and unwanted sexual advances are not OK and never were. But I do not want to at all sound like I'm victim blaming, but were all of these women who were violated by entertainment figures so desperate to get into the industry that they were all silent on these issues until now?? In droves?? It's also strange, coming from a corporate environment, to realize that government and the entertainment industry are still in the dark ages when it comes to sexual harassment. Anyone who's worked in any big company has been required to go through annual sexual harassment training since the 90s. Just like police departments seem to be the last stronghold of racism in America, entertainment and government are the last places where fat ugly men feel free to masturbate in front of woman who are repelled by fat ugly men.
I think the difference is that the entertainment and the political world are not just big business but they are also extremely powerful , influential and most importantly RICH because we all know money is king, God, the holy grail...money is all that matters right ? It is the be all end all. More important than values, morals and of course the law...money talks and bullshit walks as they say. So it's not suprising at all that these industries would be in the mindeset of man+power=MONEY 'do what I want" / above the law.

I wonder how many women actually said yes to slimy greaseball Weinstein to further their career.

I suspect as with all of these, there are many who said yes. Some of those may have had no shame or issue in trading favors and some may have said yes out of desperation or fear. We wont really ever know which is which if they all end up as accusers. It ends up wrong all the way around. Wrong to trade sex for parts. Wrong to turn around and accuse the guy when you were a willing participant. Very wrong to engage either way, even if they said yes out of desperation or fear. And wrong not to say something when it happened.

I'm mostly confused by those coming forward 20 or 30 years later, especially if they have been out of the business. I never want to give the impression I'm defending a creep but that makes me scratch my head a little.

I'm mostly confused by those coming forward 20 or 30 years later, especially if they have been out of the business. I never want to give the impression I'm defending a creep but that makes me scratch my head a little.

It's almost as if they've been dealing with assault, rape, shame, and depression for decades and the groundswell of support for them has reached a point where they finally feel comfortable being public with their feelings and experiences.

It's almost as if they've been dealing with assault, rape, shame, and depression for decades and the groundswell of support for them has reached a point where they finally feel comfortable being public with their feelings and experiences.

I'm sure that is absolutely the case for some.

It's a terrible idea for me to comment on anything not relating to guitars in this group without eventually being accused of being a rapist sympathizer so I wont. Just trying to see things from all sides and not jump to conclusions about anyone.

I'm sure that is absolutely the case for some.

It's a terrible idea for me to comment on anything not relating to guitars in this group without eventually being accused of being a rapist sympathizer so I wont. Just trying to see things from all sides and not jump to conclusions about anyone.

There's certainly different sides to truth, and reading from multiple sources on multiple sides of the aisle is always best. But systematic oppression and male dominance does indeed exist in this world. You're not the rapist. You didn't do it. If he didn't do it, he will be exonerated.

Back