Teuffel Rhodium Birdfish

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.destroyallguitars.com/component/hikashop/item/763-teuffel-rhodium-birdfish

$26,000.00

available to order

DESCRIPTION:
THE RHODIUM BIRDFISHThe Rhodium Birdfish is a new version of Teuffel's Bridfish which features all rhodium coated parts, ebony fretboard and pickup covers, and transparent high gloss finish on figured woods. For those of you not familiar with rhodium, it is currently the worlds most precious metal, with a value that is 4 x that of platinum, and is most commonly used on high end watches.

The Rhodium Birdfish was released in Europe at the MAD Gallery in Geneva, and at Music MESSE, where it has received overwhelming praise. It has subsequently become the most ordered Teuffel model.

CONSTRUCTION
The Birdfish body consists of the two tonebars which are screwed on both central elements "bird" and "fish". The neck is bolted onto the upper element "bird" while the lower "fish" carries the control box in which you find the guitar electronics. A rail between "bird" and "fish" holds the slideable pickups. All three pickups can be exchanged with each other within seconds.

Teuffel manufactures all of the hardware parts (including some of the screws) in his workshop in small series according to his own exact needs. This guarantees that all parts harmonize together in the best manner. Only the Tune-o-matic bridge comes from Gotoh and Schaller.

TONEBARS
The tonebars define the basic sound of the guitar, just as the body wood on a traditional solid body guitar. Furthermore they are interchangeable, which allows the birdfish to alter its basic character. The tonebars are made of traditional tonewood: one pair is made of American Alder while the other is made of selected Michigan Maple. There is one fundamental aspect: because there are no body cutouts for pickups and vibrato, they aren't etiolated in their cross sectional area. Therefore the "weakest" part of the birdfish tonebars is still larger than the "weakest" cross section where the pickups and the vibrato are on a regular guitar.

PICKUPS
The pickups of the birdfish are easily movable and interchangeable by hand. All in all there are five different pickups available: two single coils and three humbuckers. The character of the single coils is vintage. The tone of the humbuckers are like a P90, a PAF and a hot PAF. Each pickup can be placed in every position.For the pickups Teuffel uses AlNiCo Magnets which are custom-made according to his requirements. All the pickups were wound and tuned in his workshop.

NECK
The birdfish's neck is made of old bird's eye maple. It is a one piece neck. First the neck plank is cut down the middle with a ultra-thin saw to prepare the integration of the truss rod. Then the truss rod chamber is cut into the left and right half. Finally the joint is prepared for gluing.

To prevent the truss rod from corroding and blocking up, some manufacturers apply something which in online forums is called a "truss rod glove". It is a thin plastic tube that is put over the truss rod. Of course this doesn’t exactly improve the tone of the guitar.

Therefore Teuffel produces his own truss rod from a high-alloyed stainless steel which gets a hard finish. This gives his truss rod only 30% of the weight of a common rod. Its weight is only 48 gramm (1.7 oz) For comparision: the most popular 2-way truss rod has a weight of some 200 grams (7.1 oz).

Since the weight of the neck itself is just 320 grams (11.3 oz) a common truss rod has a share on the neck of 60%. The truss rod channel has to be three times as large. Teuffel feels accurately selected tonewood creates a better tone than a lot of steel. That is why he does all that extra work.

MIDI OPTION
The midi birdfish differs from the classic guitar only by the piezo-bridge and the midi control box. Therefore each birdfish classic can be upgraded to a midi birdfish.

The concept of the midi set is the complete separation of both signals, i.e. midi to converter and magnetic pickups to amplifier. That means the pure birdfish is not influenced by the midi converter. The 13 pin jack is the only carrier of sound on the piezo bridge. The magnetic pickups and the magnetic control circuit are connected to the 1/4" jack only. This becomes very important if you have high-gain sounds.

BAG/CASE
The birdfish bag is hand-sewn in a small factory in Germany. The outside is made of water buffalo leather, which shows its natural grain. The bag is very heavily padded with unbleached cotton and has an adjustable shoulder strap. The four external pockets offer room for the extra tonebars, pickups and tools. The case is made of a lightweight but heavy-duty plastic sandwich material. All aluminum edges are anodized while all of the fittings are chrome plated. Inside there is a foam cushion into which the guitar shape is cnc cut.

DISPLAY OPTION
When you don't want to hide your guitar in the case: the display stand is made of anodized aluminium and matt polished stainless steel. A heavy steelplate under the bottom plate prevents the stand from toppling over. Felt pads protect the floor. The display comes disassembled.

WHAT'S INCLUDED
The birdfish set consists of the standard guitar (without midi) with the tonebars of American alder, a set of tonebars of Michigan maple, three different Humbuckers, two single coils pickups, the flightcase (or optionally the leather bag), a pair of Schaller Security Locks, and an extended tool set.

SPECS:
guitar dimensions:
- length: 780 mm (30.71 inches)
- width: 320 mm (12.61 inches)
- thickness: 60 mm (2.36 inches)

case dimensions (inlcluding handles and wheels):
- length: 850 mm (33.46 inches)
- width: 415 mm (16.34 inches)
- thickness: 140 mm (5.51 inches)

scale length:
- 650 mm (25.6 inches)

tonebars:
- multiple tone bars provided

neck:
- bird's eye maple
- asymmetrically V-shaped

neck thickness:
- 20.5 mm (0.81 inches) at the 1st fret
- 23.8 mm (0.94 inches) at 16th fret

neck width:
- 43.4 mm (1.71 inches) at the nut
- 56.0 mm (2.20 inches) at the 22nd fret

fretboard radius:
- 320 mm (12.6 inches)

fretwire:
- Jim Dunlop #6105
- 22 frets

pickups:
- 1 humbucker P90 type
- 1 humbucker PAF type
- 1 humbucker hot PAF type
- 1 single coil left wound
- 1 single coil right wound

guitar weight:
- with maple tonebars 3,1 kg (6.83 lbs)
- with alder tonebars 2,9 kg (6.39 lbs)

PRICING INFO:
(The prices for the U.S.A. and Canada are including transport expenses, customs and duties. In other words: free to your house front door):
- Rhodium Birdfish: $26,000- Display: $1,150

no-effin-way.gif

That's amazing. Creative and repulsive at the same time. And the price! That's more than I've paid for and more than I plan for one anytime soon. It could play and sound amazing, but I wouldn't even consider at a 20th of the asking price...hell, a 40th even.

Not my bag.

Not even if I had Bill Gates' money.

oh come on. If I had Bill Gates money, I would probably own 1 of every type of guitar made. Then I would build a house just for my guitars to live in. But it is terrible.

I think these look awesome. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it, but I like the design.

Back