Tesla had me really excited for a moment...

I do have to admit that my new car (came in this week) makes me very happy at a third of the price of the Tesla though. It was delivered in Monday:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465481620.422621.jpg

And yes, it's the same as the Santa Fe I've been driving for the last two years but my lease ran out. I would have kept that car a very long time.

Do you mean the reduced price sedan at 66K? They still have the other one coming out beginning at 35K. That is a lot closer to being doable. A few more years, while I drive my TDI, and a model I like may be reasonably in reach.

Figure out how much a month you spend on gas, then add that to your lease payment. Then total that for the term of your lease. If that is less than or equal to the cost to buy or lease the Tesla during that period then it would be worth it to get the Tesla.

Do you mean the reduced price sedan at 66K? They still have the other one coming out beginning at 35K. That is a lot closer to being doable. A few more years, while I drive my TDI, and a model I like may be reasonably in reach.

Figure out how much a month you spend on gas, then add that to your lease payment. Then total that for the term of your lease. If that is less than or equal to the cost to buy or lease the Tesla during that period then it would be worth it to get the Tesla.

Yeah. The $35k one would be great but not something I can do either. My new car is only new because my wife works for the manufacturer and we get a pretty special deal on employee leases. If we had the money we would own one not only because they are great cars but because they are a company that I want to support. After watching how they "make the sausage" in the auto industry with both my wife and her dad for the last 16 years I'd love to see the "Big 3" go away and some new companies with actual innovation and less historic baggage push forward.

Yes, Hyundais look like great cars!

I also hope Tesla succeeds and is able to diversify its line, and that their market force causes others to go there as well, as the infrastructure for "filling up" is built up.

Yeah. The $35k one would be great but not something I can do either. My new car is only new because my wife works for the manufacturer and we get a pretty special deal on employee leases. If we had the money we would own one not only because they are great cars but because they are a company that I want to support. After watching how they "make the sausage" in the auto industry with both my wife and her dad for the last 16 years I'd love to see the "Big 3" go away and some new companies with actual innovation and less historic baggage push forward.
Hyundai's are a terrific value. I've been pretty happy with mine for the last couple of years. I've even considered the Genesis sedan as it has some really nice amenities for the price. Not to mention that awesome 10 year 100K mile warranty.

Hyundai's are a terrific value. I've been pretty happy with mine for the last couple of years. I've even considered the Genesis sedan as it has some really nice amenities for the price. Not to mention that awesome 10 year 100K mile warranty.
I have to say that I really did love my last Santa Fe (a 2015) and would have no problem owning it or driving it for a few more years. The new one is nice but it's essentially the same car with a backup camera. I'd own it if I had to actually purchase a car outright. Especially after my wife had this happen to her on the way to work back in March:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458243338-182571-jpg.26315

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458243350-234022-jpg.26316

The fact that she walked away from an accident where she was standing still on the freeway and a moving truck hit her going 65mph really sold me on the safety aspect of these cars.

The technology just gets better and better, too.

But then you have shit like this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-north-carolina-sales-charlotte-raleigh/#:fhabX1nAyWx5sA
Well, it's North Carolina I guess. Although other states have opposed the direct sales. Pretty much a joke. As the first comment says:
"Jeff Brown ·
Stephen F. Austin State University
bureaucrats being dicks, just because they can."

I have to say that I really did love my last Santa Fe (a 2015) and would have no problem owning it or driving it for a few more years. The new one is nice but it's essentially the same car with a backup camera. I'd own it if I had to actually purchase a car outright. Especially after my wife had this happen to her on the way to work back in March:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458243338-182571-jpg.26315

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458243350-234022-jpg.26316

The fact that she walked away from an accident where she was standing still on the freeway and a moving truck hit her going 65mph really sold me on the safety aspect of these cars.

Yes, I was very impressed with the Hyundais when I looked at them to replace my wife's car. She ended up going with a different used car (her mazda), but I liked what I saw. And so glad they protected your wife.

Love my wife's Hyundai, they're on the short list for our next used car next year.

An i20x or a Ford Focus like we just rented in April.

Tesla is also not available in WV because several of our legislators are also auto dealers, so they continue to block legalization of direct auto sales.

Tesla is also not available in WV because several of our legislators are also auto dealers, so they continue to block legalization of direct auto sales.
That's bullshit and a restraint of trade.
Seriously. I think that is an issue in Texas also.

Pearl Jam tried to take on a similar problem in concert ticket sales. They lost. Seriously, though we have some decent anti-trust/(think anti-monopoly) laws, they have been neutered and rendered ineffective for years.

Largely happened in 1981 under Reagan.

http://www.thenation.com/article/transcript-breakdown-are-antitrust-laws-thing-past/

BTW, I earned a "high paper" in my anti-trust class in law school in 1988. It means I got the highest grade. Nice to be number one. But in a completely useless class, pretty much. :wink:

I just traded in our 2002 Santa Fe that we inherited from my wife's late parents about 7 years ago, with nearly 200,000 miles on it. It served us extremely well, especially considering it had been T-boned about 2 years before we got it. We never had any major issues with it, other than the usual wear-and-tear maintenance stuff. I did have to get the front axle replaced due to the anti-lock brake sensor failed on it right before I traded it, but even that was only about $250. My wife does not care for the pickup I got, so we may be dumping that in the near future, and she wants a Tucson at this point...or a Jeep Renegade.

I do have to admit that my new car (came in this week) makes me very happy at a third of the price of the Tesla though. It was delivered in Monday:

View attachment 27675

And yes, it's the same as the Santa Fe I've been driving for the last two years but my lease ran out. I would have kept that car a very long time.
I've had the car for a week and finally got to drive it on the freeway last night. I'm not sure what they changed but the car is a lot more powerful now compared to my 2015. It reminds me of the 4 cyl Turbo they gave me as a loaner a few years ago.

You might want to consider the cost of electricity to charge the Tesla.

Back