Tell me about your computer based rig

If I plug my guitar into the computer to record guitars I use Positive Grid Bias and an Apogee Fuet interface.

Mostly use NI Guitar Rig 5 or Scuffham S-Gear, both are very good. Guitar Rig the most versatile and tweakable out of the 2.
The DAW I use, Samplitude, also has a good one included which is called Vandal.

Chain on the way in is usually a Radial JDI and Heritage 73jr preamp going into an RME converter/ADAT interface.

Mine is getting long in the tooth and will be sent out to pasture soon in favor of a Gawddammed Mac.

It's a monster, but starting to glitch out in ways that can only be the motherboard, and as soon as AMD released their latest flagship chipset, the AM+3 motherboards vanished from the market. If you can even find one now it will cost a stupid amount.

Anyway, it's a PC with AMD FX (Bulldozer) 8100 Unlocked CPU with 3.4 GHz baseline tuneable well into the mid 4GHz range with absolute stability assuming you have proper cooling and capabe power supply. I run mine at 4.1 with a liquid cooled CPU fan and a 900W power supply.

32 Gigs of 1800 RAM.

NVIDIA 850 PCI-E Graphics Card running a Crossfire Bridge with the onboard Radeon 640 Chipset.

Oversized case with 2 cooling fans on top, 2 on the back side, 1 ea on the front side and bottom along with the P/S fan and a separate fan controller.

500gb SSD Main for the OS and essentials.

250gb SSD secondary "Record to" drive that also hosts much of the DAW related stuff and certain plug ins.

60gb SSD third drive for more plug ins, sample library etc.

4tb HDD for Mass storage that is synced to an external 4tb HDD for back up.

As for DAWs, I've got 'em all. I have to in order to be able to collaborate on projects. I still run Sony ACID Pro 7 for new project ideas because it's still the most intuitive and user friendly while being very capable. I also run Cubase, Cakewalk/Sonar, Ableton, Propeller Head Reason etc, FL Studio, Reaper... All of them.

It all comes and goes via Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Interface either direct fed, or from my trusty 10 year old Behringer 1202FX Mixer that is the toughest piece of gear I've ever owned. Someday it will rule the Earth along with the cockroaches. Sometimes I use my old (but killer!) ART Mic Pre box or it's D/I sibling.

For monitoring, it depends on the type of project. Although it's a cardinal sin, I do the rough mixes and tracking with my Beyer Dynamics DT-770 80ohm Studio cans. For low volume baseline submixing I usually just use my little Alesis cheapies to ballpark. Then I'll step up to a pair of Rockit 6s (?) or my old Tannoys if I'm feeling saucy and don't mind somewhat excessive volume.

But alas, as stated, my unholy beast is faltering a bit and ready to retire. It had a good run, but I won't start anymore new projects on it. I'm now shopping for a fucking Mac. :(

I've been very much enjoying dipping my toes in such stuff by dicking around with a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and bias amp/bias fx (lightweight versions that were free from focusrite) in garageband. I could see upgrading to logic at some point.

I usually go Guitar Rig 5 w/ Reaper on an old iMac through a Presonus Firestudio Mobile. I've messed around with some Le Pou amp software and cab IRs, which sound great, but they were too much effort.
I picked up a Fryette Valvulator for direct amp recording, however. And it sounds really nice. I'll be using that more from here out.

Mine is getting long in the tooth and will be sent out to pasture soon in favor of a Gawddammed Mac.

It's a monster, but starting to glitch out in ways that can only be the motherboard, and as soon as AMD released their latest flagship chipset, the AM+3 motherboards vanished from the market. If you can even find one now it will cost a stupid amount.

Anyway, it's a PC with AMD FX (Bulldozer) 8100 Unlocked CPU with 3.4 GHz baseline tuneable well into the mid 4GHz range with absolute stability assuming you have proper cooling and capabe power supply. I run mine at 4.1 with a liquid cooled CPU fan and a 900W power supply.

32 Gigs of 1800 RAM.

NVIDIA 850 PCI-E Graphics Card running a Crossfire Bridge with the onboard Radeon 640 Chipset.

Oversized case with 2 cooling fans on top, 2 on the back side, 1 ea on the front side and bottom along with the P/S fan and a separate fan controller.

500gb SSD Main for the OS and essentials.

250gb SSD secondary "Record to" drive that also hosts much of the DAW related stuff and certain plug ins.

60gb SSD third drive for more plug ins, sample library etc.

4tb HDD for Mass storage that is synced to an external 4tb HDD for back up.

As for DAWs, I've got 'em all. I have to in order to be able to collaborate on projects. I still run Sony ACID Pro 7 for new project ideas because it's still the most intuitive and user friendly while being very capable. I also run Cubase, Cakewalk/Sonar, Ableton, Propeller Head Reason etc, FL Studio, Reaper... All of them.

It all comes and goes via Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Interface either direct fed, or from my trusty 10 year old Behringer 1202FX Mixer that is the toughest piece of gear I've ever owned. Someday it will rule the Earth along with the cockroaches. Sometimes I use my old (but killer!) ART Mic Pre box or it's D/I sibling.

For monitoring, it depends on the type of project. Although it's a cardinal sin, I do the rough mixes and tracking with my Beyer Dynamics DT-770 80ohm Studio cans. For low volume baseline submixing I usually just use my little Alesis cheapies to ballpark. Then I'll step up to a pair of Rockit 6s (?) or my old Tannoys if I'm feeling saucy and don't mind somewhat excessive volume.

But alas, as stated, my unholy beast is faltering a bit and ready to retire. It had a good run, but I won't start anymore new projects on it. I'm now shopping for a fucking Mac. :(

Now, as a hardware geek who built his first PC in the late 80s, that sounds like a perfectly viable system. And Newegg has like 12 new compatible MBs in stock right now ranging from $50-$340: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625 600138080 600480012 600641738

And Amazon has close to 75: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_condition-type_0?fst=as:embarrassed:ff&rh=n:172282,n:541966,n:193870011,n:1048424,k:socket+am3+,p_n_condition-type:2224371011&keywords=socket+am3+&ie=UTF8&qid=1515972494&rnid=2224369011

It'd be a shame to put such a machine that you've obviously put a lot of work into out to pasture when a likely fix could cost less than one decent dinner out for two.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Now, as a hardware geek who built his first PC in the late 80s, that sounds like a perfectly viable system. And Newegg has like 12 new compatible in stock right now ranging from $50-$340: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625 600138080 600480012 600641738

And Amazon has close to 75: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_condition-type_0?fst=as:embarrassed:ff&rh=n:172282,n:541966,n:193870011,n:1048424,k:socket+am3+,p_n_condition-type:2224371011&keywords=socket+am3+&ie=UTF8&qid=1515972494&rnid=2224369011

It'd be a shame to put such a machine that you've obviously put a lot of work into out to pasture when a likely fix could cost less than one decent dinner out for two.

Just sayin'.
I hear ya, and I might end up getting a decent new MB and using it as a gaming tower or similar. It IS a great machine, but even in perfect working order isn't a currently viable PC Recording platform. AMD based machines are inherently notorious for not working and playing well in that capacity and many DAWS warn against running them on AMD machines. The Bulldozer was the first generation of the FX 8 Core CPUs, and as such is a little buggy. Later chips sorted most of that out, but still don't rival Intel for Recording.

Sadly, I realized after getting that old 2009 iMac for free last year with a lowly Dual Core 2.4 GHz processor and 4 measly gigs of RAM and a 500gb optical HDD, that neither AMD or Intel PCs can even hold a candle to a barebones Mac. I hate to admit it, but that ancient POS ran circles around my PC when it came to running music software. Macs simply allocate resources and implement an instruction architecture that takes full advantage of the hardware. It's just what they do. No, you can't be a serious gamer with a Mac, and you aren't likely to find extraterrestrial life in the cosmos with one, but for media creation and editing they're light years better.

I hate to admit it, but that ancient POS ran circles around my PC when it came to running music software. Macs simply allocate resources and implement an instruction architecture that takes full advantage of the hardware. It's just what they do. No, you can't be a serious gamer with a Mac, and you aren't likely to find extraterrestrial life in the cosmos with one, but for media creation and editing they're light years better.

[ weeps PC tears ]

Cranks up Dying Light, The Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1 and the tears dry.

Last edited:
Back