Tell me about Two Rock amps...

I find this funny for a couple of reasons. First, the only amps I have ever owned that flat out died were solid state amps. The most work I have ever had to put into a tube amp was a cap job on a 30 year old amp and even then the amp was working fine, I just thought 30 years with original caps, that is asking for failure. That was a whopping $60. I will gladly pay $60 every 30 years for a great sounding amp :grin:

Second, I remember a few posts from you about repairing your JC amps, something about caps on a noisy one, the reverb not working and there was one or 2 more. :grin:

But $5k is way too much for any amp. If you wanted a tube amp could buy a second hand Mesa Boogie for a grand or less and have an amazing clean tone, possibly a good dirt tone and years of a solid amp with nothing more than a tube change or 2.
Yup, had to have some caps and pots replaced on a few of my JCs... the youngest of which is over 30 years old and seen heavy use. I figure once they crest the 30 year mark, replacing a few caps and such is perfectly reasonable and to be expected.

In my case, I probably only made a 'big deal' about it because I let the magic smoke out of gigging amp by being an idiot, and the other two were 'down' at the same time with minor issues of their own.

On a funny side note, my "new" 77 that I bought several months back (also 30+ years old) and took it to the amp tech for a wonky Chorus circuit, has to go back. It sat for several months, so I don't know when whatever happened actually happened, but the damned Reverb isn't working at all, and the Chorus is wonky again. I almost expected the Chorus to wig out, because I knew what it was doing when I bought it, and although he "saved me money" by cleaning up the switch and the pots instead of replacing them... I just knew the issue would return.

Reverb is a head scratcher though. Brand new tank, properly wired. Acts like it is "switched off", which you can do... with a switch. I don't have a switch. The pot only controls the amount and only does so when the circuit is active. It may have somehow gotten "switched" off.

Bugger!

Back