Tell me about Two Rock amps...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
Other guitarist in my band just got one, he's bringing it to practice tonight.

From my very limited Googling I've found the following:
  1. They're bloody expensive! (He's retired, guess he's doing OK)
  2. They seem to mainly do clean tones with some breakup
  3. They're used by some big names (John Mayer) again not know for dirty tones
We play a range of classic rock stuff but most of it is distorted, wondering if these very expensive boutique amps do things like Judas Priest etc... very well.

My understanding is that if you buy one you will be accused of being a cork-sniffing lawyer/dentist who wears tan pants on stage. If you can take that kind of heat, then go for it.

Sorry, I don't have anything of value to add. They have several at Chicago Music Exchange, but I've never played one.

I haven't cared for any of the two rocks that I've tried. But then again, I don't care for the dumble sound which the two rocks are a clone of.

They sound good but between the high cost and the style of music you say you play I'd say it's probably not a great fit. Or its a hugely expensive "pedal platform".

Honestly a good Marshall would be a better choice. For that money I would do this in a heartbeat:https://reverb.com/p/marshall-2555x...QaMqR_K3BeJoeK6yH-dG_hoCsBvw_wcB&hfid=1862741

Yeah that's what I was thinking, he has other projects going on so I think the Two Rock may be more suited to those projects. I think he just wants to try it out with us and see how it sounds. He already has a really nice sounding JCM800 and a DSL 100...

Shoulda told him to wait for the Eleven Rock...

Just ask Nigel!

l.jpg

As mentioned, they are Dumble-derived. Two-Rock came out of A&S K&M.

They have offered several models, plenty them do both clean and the high-gain, high compression Dumble OD thing. OD tones were part of their first real commercial success with Carlos Santana around the time of "Supernatural" era. The legend goes that Santana had switched from Mesa to Dumble, then got impatient with Howard Dumble and went to K&M/Two Rock for repairs, Howard Dumble was pissed and cut communications and Santana started using K&M-built amps.

As I understand it, the Mayer-style Two Rocks are Dumble ODS (Overdrive Special) circuits with the OD circuit stripped out and reverb added in for a fatter-than-Fender big, clean tone.

Last edited:
As mentioned, they are Dumble-derived. Two-Rock came out of A&S.

They have offered several models, plenty them do both clean and the high-gain, high compression Dumble OD thing. OD tones were part of their first real commercial success with Carlos Santana around the time of "Supernatural" era. The legend goes that Santana had switched from Mesa to Dumble, then got impatient with Howard Dumble and went to A&S/Two Rock for repairs, Howard Dumble was pissed and cut communications and Santana started using A&S-built amps.

As I understand it, the Mayer-style Two Rocks are Dumble ODS (Overdrive Special) circuits with the OD circuit stripped out and reverb added in for a fatter-than-Fender big, clean tone.

A&S? Haven't heard of that/them...

A&S? Haven't heard of that/them...

Sorry, not A&S...K&M...K&M Analog Design. I honestly don't know where I came up with A&S.

Bill Krinard & Joe Mloganoski. From the Two Rock FB page...

Founded in 1999 with performance and customer service in mind, Two-Rock Amplifiers was founded by Bill Krinard and Joe Mloganoski and in just a few years' time, it became one of the the boutique industry leaders.

In 2010, Two-Rock was purchased by Premier Builders Guild where it continued to operate in it's Rohnert Park facility for the next 6 years. In November 2016, Mac Skinner (Two-Rock general manager since 2004) and longtime Two-Rock artist Eli Lester, teamed up to purchase Two-Rock Amplifiers. Additionally, they've brought back the original Two-Rock Co-founder and designer Bill Krinard, as the designer/engineer on the team.

This group of amplifier artisans has continued to deliver fully transparent and touch sensitive tonal performance at the very highest level in the industry. It's this hand-wired point to point excellence that has been relied upon by musicians worldwide.​

Last edited:
Back