Telecaster Musings

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
I've been gassing hard for a new guitar. Instead, I might try a new bridge pickup for my Telecaster.

The Tele has settled in as my main backup and open tuned guitar. What I want is more low end so the bottom doesn't drop out compared to my PRS. Volume-wise the two guitars balance well. I'm not looking for humbuckers, just something BEEFier. The Dimarzios in the PRS are fairly low output, but very detailed. I'm currently considering the Seymour Duncan Five-Two and the Dimarzio Pre B-1.

Last edited:
I have a BG Rockwind A3 set in my Tele that I love. Another option might be to rewire your Tele with a 4 way switch to get a series and a parallel option. That's my favorite Tele mod.

I have a BG Rockwind A3 set in my Tele that I love. Another option might be to rewire your Tele with a 4 way switch to get a series and a parallel option. That's my favorite Tele mod.

Already has the 4 way.

It's not that the guitar doesn't sound good. It sounds great. I just want some more low end. At the end of the day, the solution may just be to change the amp EQ. But nobody really wants to hear that, do they? :grin:

Alnico 2 is usually good for low end. Alnico 5 makes pickups sound brighter, but it is more powerful. So maybe an alnico 2 pickup would be better.

Could be. But some pus have such a variance when installed given wiring etc etc, there's no telling how it might sound.

True, but that doesn't make me feel any better about it either.

Looking at the Dimarzio Pre B-1, it seems to have an EQ profile similar to the PAFs in my PRS. I'm leaning that direction.

I defer to PunkKitty. She has got the hands on knowledge here. I've swapped Strat PUs for similar reasons.. put a Carvin X-11 in the bridge, and an SD Performer in the mid, but have yet to change my "tele" ishes. The only change I will make is to my bridge PU but going for MORE treble.

An EQ pedal can help boost the low end, when you want more low end. Another thought, are darker/more overwound single coils. Don Mare, Lindy Fralin, Bare Knuckle, and Seymour Duncan make pickups like this - I'm assuming that you just want a beefier sounding Tele, and not just another humbucker equipped guitar?

Honestly, I got much better bass out of my Telecaster (and everything else) by changing speakers. I got lucky on that, though, by stumbling into the right ones.

I tried out a cheap pickup from a local supplier for a guitar I'd planned to sell. Everyone that's played it loves it. Can't sell it now. They're 22 bucks currently.

http://www.azguitarparts.com/index....oducts_id=87&zenid=o5ru1mk29th7pc6c3mm78ga456

image4.jpg

Someone made a video.

Whatever bridge pickup is in my baja tele is what I'd recommend; not your typical ice-pick tele bridge pickup at. It does have the that tele singing quality that I love and plenty of bottom end.

I was going to suggest Bryan's artwork as well. I have a slightly overwound (7Kish) bridge unit with a '60s raised D&G in my red Tele. It rocks hard. My old Tex Mex Tele Special has a Van Zandt Vintage+ in the bridge. Both have three brass saddles.

Different saddle materials could also change the bass response.

Back