Question: Telecaster info

What is everyone opinion on Michael Kelly guitars? Specifically his tele?
They seem like a really good guitar for the money. $400 for the 1953 model...

I love the picture. :grin: I live 75 miles south of Chicago. It really is the middle of nowhere. When these came out, the gas was strong. Imagine my anticipation when I found out my local Mom and Pop carried MK guitars and, they had one in blue jean wash, the one I was gassing for.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...-much-about-these-guitars.64490/#post-1060110

Thanks for searching that thread out.
Did you ever end up buying one?
I know you said in the other thread you didn't like the finish on the one that the store had...

Nope. I still scratch my head how different it was from the picture. It's bizarre they wouldn't send the good looking ones to stores where you are going to see it before you buy it. Was it a reject? Did they just change? These questions haunt me years later.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering...maybe the one in the store was especially ugly and the average one looked more like the picture..??

Honestly, I just can't want Michael Kelly guitars. If you GAS for one, go for it.

My irrational take is that Teles are so primal/basic, that part of their charm is their Fenderosity. Ergo, Fender Teles are great to have, Squier or G&L are good to have, and others are pale imitations unless they're super-boutique and pay some sort of homage to the original(s).

The flame on that (photo of real doesn't matter to me in this context) just ruins the effect. My .02.

Honestly, I just can't want Michael Kelly guitars. If you GAS for one, go for it.

My irrational take is that Teles are so primal/basic, that part of their charm is their Fenderosity. Ergo, Fender Teles are great to have, Squier or G&L are good to have, and others are pale imitations unless they're super-boutique and pay some sort of homage to the original(s).

The flame on that (photo of real doesn't matter to me in this context) just ruins the effect. My .02.
Yeah, I'm not especially gassing for a MK....now a G&L Bluesboy semi-hollow....THAT I'm gassing for!!!

Greetings from New Mexico. :grin:

NM Tele.jpg

I've been emailing with a guy in CL about trading some of my gear that's not being used for his Tele.
We are. |-| <-- this close....
Mojo-mojo-mojo...
Am I allowed to give myself mojo?

It's a 2013 MIM. As far as I know it's stock.
You're right, I was wanting the rosewood board(and would actually prefer one) but this specimen just absolutely caught my eye. I'm sure I can learn to play nice with the maple board. And if not, swapping a neck is an easy enough mod.

It's a 2013 MIM. As far as I know it's stock.
You're right, I was wanting the rosewood board(and would actually prefer one) but this specimen just absolutely caught my eye. I'm sure I can learn to play nice with the maple board. And if not, swapping a neck is an easy enough mod.

It may well be stock, but do you know what MIM model it is? I don't think the Std ever did two-color burst and definitely not the three-saddle bridge. I don't see the Baja switching or Roadworn relic-ing...so maybe Classic Series '50s? But even that doesn't come with brass saddles or a black guard. Maybe some minor mods?

NOT an MIM standard -- or at least it is not a stock MIM standard. That is a Wilkinson bridge (my Kirn Barnbuster has one) -- you can tell by the brass saddles and the raised "ashtray" lip around the bridgeplate. I'm betting it's a partscaster -- and a very nice-looking one at that. A front-and-back shot of the headstock should help confirm that.

Back