Question: Telecaster info

This one has me tempted for $450. http://www.adorama.com/fe141132306....t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
fe141132306.jpg

It has 3 Nocaster bridge pickups.
In just wish it had a rose wood board.
I went to GC last weekend and played a bunch, none had RW but one thing I learned...I don't like the 1 piece maple necks....

:love::love::love:

That one listed on reverb has a couple of finish cracks. While I'm sure they don't affect the structural integrity, the would certainly have an impact on the resale value.

Yah. I wouldn't buy that one either. Just wanted to show the average used price.

Always loved the look of the G&L. Just don't care for the pickguard on a thinline.

Never seen one in person, read a couple places that the necks are thin. True or false?

^^ Just compared it to my American Standard. Haven't really thought about it before. My take on it is that they are about the same thickness with the Am. Standard having slightly more rounded shoulders. Both are listed as being "C" shaped. The width of the neck pocket on the G&L is about 1/8th inch wider than the Fender so as you play up the neck the board gets just a little wider. Nothing you'd really notice. The Blues Boy has a 9" fret board radius and the Am. Standard is 9 1/2". All in all, unless you're very particular about neck sizes I don't think transitioning between the two would be any big deal. Like I said I never even noticed it until now.

What I like about Thinline Teles:

* A bit more "nasal" than a solid body
* Preserve the twang / spiky attack while adding more harmonics
* Tend to be lighter weight
* As with all SHB's, nice to play acoustically (and I mean it's nice to have a Tele that rings out when not plugged in)

Totally subjectively, I've had an odd (and this ain't data, it's anecdote) sequence of experiences where all the Thinline Teles I've encountered had nicer necks, on average, than the solid-body counterparts. No clue why that is, and am sure it's random, but ... worked out well for me.

Nothing like having a 6.5 lb. Tele that's loud-as-hell with a mahogany body and f-holes. Looks bitchin', sounds awesome.

Originally, I had no desire for a thin line type tele. I thought a traditional one would be for me. But the more I keep window shopping, the more appealing they are becoming. Especially one with a humbucker in the neck. Or a p90...ooh, there's a thought!
The G&L posted above has got me drooling...it's so much nicer looking than what fender is putting out aesthetically...IMO

Originally, I had no desire for a thin line type tele. I thought a traditional one would be for me. But the more I keep window shopping, the more appealing they are becoming. Especially one with a humbucker in the neck. Or a p90...ooh, there's a thought!
The G&L posted above has got me drooling...it's so much nicer looking than what fender is putting out aesthetically...IMO

I have two Teles. The first is MIJ '69 Thinline reissue upon which I put a Fender ashtray six-saddle bridge, a Barden Tele bridge pup, and a SD 59 HB neck pup. The second was a long lusted after ASAT Special (USA): cherry burst, #4 neck (1 3/4" nut, 12" radius), maple board. Love both...want a Baja or new Deluxe Thinline or possibly a Classic vibe or a different ASAT. I would collect Teles if I could justify it.

I know you wouldn't be disappointed with a US-built G&L, but I've only heard good things about the imports. G&L specced them out well and the factories seem to be making customers happy. I'd scour Reverb for used Tributes to see if you can find one for you.

Here's a Thinline ASAT Special with a rosewood board:

https://reverb.com/item/2826648-g-l-asat-special-tribute-semi-hollow

A Baja is definitely on my want list
The asat specials have a different pickups than the classic and a different bridge....although I like the guitar a lot, I think I'd like my first tele with a more traditional bridge and pickup configuration. Even though I do like the neck humbucker in the bluesboy.

What is everyone opinion on Michael Kelly guitars? Specifically his tele?
They seem like a really good guitar for the money. $400 for the 1953 model...

Last edited:
Back