Question: Telecaster info

Yeah, the Squiers are drowning in lacquer. I'm not a sweaty guy and live in a very dry climate, and somehow don't mind as much as I thought I would, but it's ... I actually got rid of some on the fretboard side. There's just way too much, and fanboi though I am, I must say I suspect that Squier's wood is green as the jungles surrounding the factory: that lacquer is probably a prophylactic for shrinkage. I also appear to be the only higher primate who didn't like the Toneriders, but meh.

I meant to mention the FB material on Teles, but last post was already too long. Bottom line: For some reason, I feel like the maple-or-rosewood difference is somehow greater with Teles than other guitars, probably because they're so straightforward. Definitely play both.

Yes, the Affinity's feel cheap, but as you noted they can have great necks. I got one for $140 and replaced the bridge and it's a great guitar.

Don't let the 'muddy pickup' thing get you -- pup height at GC is ... well, you know: It's GC. You can remove the cover and/or swap it out. While the world doesn't seem awash in cheap used Teles, it is awash in cheap used Tele parts. Thank goodness.

Edit: I also have a '70's Ibanez Tele copy that's just beautiful. If you are willing to go outside the FMIC box you can find fantastic instruments.

Everyone here has great info and you'll notice -- lots and lots of folks like Teles. There's a reason. And to repeat: there are good Teles, and bad Teles. You meet good Teles in person. :grin:

Yes, the lacquer is just overwhelming!! And I sweat like you read about on stage, so I can see that being a problem. And I believe I did read something about the woods used being extremely prone to moisture problems...or something.
I think I remember a post on this forum a while back that had a link to a video where a blind test was done to see if people could tell the difference in tone between maple and
r/w fretboards. I think I got only 1 right! For me the difference is the feel. The 1 piece maple necks just feel wrong to me. Idk.
The other day at GC they didn't have any with R/W or I would have tried it.
I have no problem changing or adjusting pickups...I pretty much do that to all my guitars at some point! I'm a huge fan of Bareknuckle pickups.
I also have no problem exploring the various "tele copies". I've started to look into some of them already but my knowledge of them is limited.
And yeah, everyone here really knows their teles!!

I was just looking at this squire...
Looks like the neck does not have a lacquer finish and the only real differences I can see from say, a mim is the pickups, bridge, and the wood used. I had never heard of Agathis before but I looked it up and it really isn't much different than alder. It's very common in Asia and not in the US. That's probably a big reason more US guitars aren't made from it.
I don't mind swapping pickups out in a guitar. I wouldn't want to spend too much on a low end guitar....if that's the case id be better off just buying a better guitar that needs less work. But for $250 this ain't too bad. It's not a CV.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSSRBlnd#zoom
I am not the expert, but I know a lot of folks like the standard squires. It seems like one needs to see them in person, either by picking one out at GC out of their stock, or ordering and returning, to get the best one. My CVC I purchased after trying a couple at the Boise GC, and picking the one I liked the best.

What do you guys think of Allparts?
I was looking online at telecaster parts.
I can get a squire loaded tele body for $180 and an Allparts licensed fender rosewood neck for just over $150. What say you?

G&L ASAT Classics on sale for $350 at MF...

asat 1.png

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...tribute-asat-classic-ash-body-electric-guitar

asat 2.png

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-limited-edition-tribute-asat-classic-electric-guitar

What do you guys think of Allparts?
I was looking online at telecaster parts.
I can get a squire loaded tele body for $180 and an Allparts licensed fender rosewood neck for just over $150. What say you?
I have an LMO (finished in tung oil), a TMO-V(Birchwood-Casey TruOil), and a TMO-FAT (tung oil). I've also built my best friend a bass with a JMO neck and my brother an Strat with a SMO neck.

That's amongst my other necks, which come from Warmoth (Warmoth headstock, Wolfgang back shape), Musikraft (CBS head, EVH back shape), MightyMite (MM2902FCR), and a Scott Smith Customwoods Kramer 5150 neck.

I have a pretty high opinion of the AllParts necks. They're as good as Warmoth or Musikraft. You just don't have all the custom options.

Cool...I was looking at warmoth's stuff and yeah, it can get expensive with the options.
Since this is gonna be my first Tele, if I can put a neck on a body and get rolling at a fairly cheap price that would be great.
Plus I'd be able to get the rosewood neck on a vintage blonde tele, which is what I really wanted in the first place.

Cool...I was looking at warmoth's stuff and yeah, it can get expensive with the options.
Since this is gonna be my first Tele, if I can put a neck on a body and get rolling at a fairly cheap price that would be great.
Plus I'd be able to get the rosewood neck on a vintage blonde tele, which is what I really wanted in the first place.
seems like gutting a squire standard would be the way to go.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/telecaster/standard-tele/product-032120.html

you can rough up the gloss to your heart's content, and you are in cheap, and from there, can put in the pickups you want, etc.

Or one of those ones that @PunkKitty got. They look to be pretty nice for a starting point too.

Damn...no such luck. Only the 2 you posted are at that price.
I just don't like the feel of the maple board...they look great but...not for me

I enjoy the speculation, but would hope that when you're ready to pull the trigger, you just go in-person and see if one should come home with you. It really is The Way with Teles.

FWIW, thinlines are the bomb.

I enjoy the speculation, but would hope that when you're ready to pull the trigger, you just go in-person and see if one should come home with you. It really is The Way with Teles.

FWIW, thinlines are the bomb.
So, tell me what it is that you like about the thin line? I've never played one but I see a ton of them available on eBay/reverb/CL.
I've always passed over them but strictly because I've been looking for specific things in a tele. Plus I'm not sure tone-wise how the semi-hollow design affects things.
I like their looks enough...I think they are classy looking!

Back