Question: Telecaster info

gtrjunior

Wannabe
I have bad GAS....I'm also interested in learning more about the various Telecaster models...
Can you guys tell me the differences between the lower end stuff like the affinity series, squier etc. and the middle stuff like the mim and the higher end American teles?
I'm researching to buy in the near future and am leaning toward a mim. I have a mim strat that is actually a really good guitar and if the teles are anything like that I'm betting they are superb instruments too.
What do I need to know?

I'm assuming the biggest differences are in the hardware, pickups etc. ?
I was looking at a Baja tele online. I really liked all the features but it had a v neck. I've never played one of those so I'd be curious how it felt compared to the c necks.

I'm assuming the biggest differences are in the hardware, pickups etc. ?

Pretty much, though the Classic Vibe Squier Teles have pretty decent pickups. My main issue, is that the Classic Vibes (and many Squiers for that matter) have pretty thin necks, which I don't like. The MIMs don't seem to have this issue, nor do the MIAs.

Last edited:
The Affinity series actually has a thinner body.

Squiers in general vary from the traditional Tele woods, using agathis in the standards and, IIRC, basswood in the vintage modified. The Classic Vibe '50s Tele is interesting because it's pine, like the original prototypes.

Are you looking for more twang or more rock? The bridge plate will be the big difference there. Be warned, some bridges that look like thin stamped steel like vintage ashtrays are actually slightly thicker cast brass with chrome plating, which gives off a warmer, less twangy tone.

Play a whole bunch of them and buy the one you like the best. That's all you need to know.
Basically this.
I have two MIAs (Standard and Standard HS) that are both excellent instruments. I have a MIM Nashville Deluxe that is also very solid and has a great neck (though the tuners leave a bit to be desired). I also have a Squier Custom II, which is an incredible guitar for the money. The finish on the neck is very different from the others, but it's a great playing and sounding guitar.

Pretty much, though the Classic Vibe Squier Teles have pretty decent pickups. My main issue, is that the Classic Vibes (and many Squiers for that matter) have pretty thin necks, which I don't like. The MIMs don't seem to have this issue, not do the MIAs.
My mim strat has the regular "c" contour neck, I believe. It's very comfortable and I really like it. It's not all that different than my LesPaul's 60's neck. Although it doesn't taper in the higher register like my Paul.

The Affinity series actually has a thinner body.

Squiers in general vary from the traditional Tele woods, using agathis in the standards and, IIRC, basswood in the vintage modified. The Classic Vibe '50s Tele is interesting because it's pine, like the original prototypes.

Are you looking for more twang or more rock? The bridge plate will be the big difference there. Be warned, some bridges that look like thin stamped steel like vintage ashtrays are actually slightly thicker cast brass with chrome plating, which gives off a warmer, less twangy tone.
Twang or rock eh'?
Well, I'm a rock player by nature. However I'd ideally like something that can do both... A buddy of mine asked if I'd be interested in a country project and even though I'm not a country player per se, id like to take on the challenge and be able to pull off as many of today's country tones as possible.

Basically this.
I have two MIAs (Standard and Standard HS) that are both excellent instruments. I have a MIM Nashville Deluxe that is also very solid and has a great neck (though the tuners leave a bit to be desired). I also have a Squier Custom II, which is an incredible guitar for the money. The finish on the neck is very different from the others, but it's a great playing and sounding guitar.
The biggest thing with the Nashville series I didn't like is the middle pickup...it's not a deal breaker though.
The American series are really nice but I'd like to start at a slightly lower price. Obviously if one came across at the right price....
I really, really like the blonde on blonde ones and the butterscotch w/ black pickguard...

Also I noticed the "vintage series" has different bridge saddles. One per 2 strings. And newer models have the upgraded bridge with individual saddles.
Is one preferable to the other?

Also I noticed the "vintage series" has different bridge saddles. One per 2 strings. And newer models have the upgraded bridge with individual saddles.

I'm not convinced. I swapped out the 3 saddle bridge for a 6 saddle, and it's no less twangy. IMO, it's more about preconceived notions than anything else.

I prefer six saddles.

Shit, now I have GAS!
$_1.JPG

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ster?rNtt=standard tele&index=5#productDetail

Aren't they beautiful?
When I finally am ready to buy, I'm definitely going for the 2 single coils....all, and I mean ALL of my other guitars are humbuckers.
My strat has singles in the neck and middle but a bucker in the bridge.

I'm not convinced. I swapped out the 3 saddle bridge for a 6 saddle, and it's no less twangy. IMO, it's more about preconceived notions than anything else.
Any differences in tuning or intonation?
Seems like the 3 saddle system is more of a balancing act for string height, intonation etc. but I have no real experience with it.

The MIM standard as shipped has ceramic pickups which are perfect for rock, but also retain the "twang" necessary for country. I swapped mine out for some alnico 3 pickups, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the stock PUs, and the neck as absolutely comfortable in my hands.

Any differences in tuning or intonation?
Seems like the 3 saddle system is more of a balancing act for string height, intonation etc. but I have no real experience with it.

The 3 saddle was fine for intonation. I just prefer the feel of the 6 saddle Gotoh Modern bridge.

Also, if you want blonde, you have two stock options. First is the 50s Classic Tele, which I own and have heavily modded. The second is the Squier CV Tele. The 50s Classic has a much, much thicker neck than the Squier.

Back