Teff

never had it other than in injera, but I'm a big fan of it in that context.

Pretty psyched that we may be moving a couple blocks away from a decent ethiopian grocery with such things.

Is teff the kind of thing that can be eaten as a cooked whole grain, like rice or farro or whatever?

Last edited:
I had to google it, so I guess I can't claim to be a fan.

Sounds like it ends up being baked goods, so chances are I would like it.

never had it other than in injera, but I'm a big fan of it in that context.

Pretty psyched that we may be moving a couple blocks away from a decent ethiopian grocery with such things.

Is teff the kind of thing that can be eaten as a cooked whole grain, like rice or farro or whatever?

Yep, other than teff bread a handful of times, that's the only way I've had it.

The consistency is a lot like cream of wheat or maltomeal.

Yep, other than teff bread a handful of times, that's the only way I've had it.

The consistency is a lot like cream of wheat or maltomeal.
ahh, interesting. so the grain itself is small? or is it typically cracked or ground or something? Wazzit taste like? I've always assumed most of the sourness of injera is from the fermentation/microbes, not the teff itself...

ahh, interesting. so the grain itself is small? or is it typically cracked or ground or something? Wazzit taste like? I've always assumed most of the sourness of injera is from the fermentation/microbes, not the teff itself...

Believe it's the smallest there is. Not sure but I don't think it's processed much if it all. I hate "nutty" as a generic descriptor but it's pretty nutty and brown-tasting.

Some of the stores around here are starting to sell it. I think the local Walmart has it, surprisingly as that sounds.

A buddy of mine at work bought some and tried his first batch of injera. He brought a little in for me to try. I think he over cooked it a bit, and his batter was too thick, but it didn't turn out too badly for a first attempt. It was certainly edible.

Teff has more protein and vitamins than quinoa, doesn't it?

Back