Tech 21 Fly Rig5

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member

I think I saw @baimun mention this recently and I just ran across this demo. Pretty rad for someone like me who occasionally needs the basics on a tiny stage or a good backup rig.

Not your bag for sure. Its kind of a Swiss army knife for a guy like me though....I have all of the stuff that makes me happy on my big rig but sometimes I just need something simple to get the job done. Or to just get through the night.

Weird that they went with a 12V supply, so it's basically incompatible with any off-the-shelf power adapter. At least they include one with it. Based on the one Tech21 pedal I have, I think they make quality stuff.

It isn't the best sounding piece of gear (its not bad), but it would be handy to have as a backup board for gigging.

Yeah...t wouldn't replace anything I REALLY use but it would be very handy as a backup or like I said for the handful of gigs I do every year where putting a Pedaltrain 3 on the stage is pushing it. Most folks wouldn't think that this plus an amp would be a big footprint but with the gigs I play sadly it is.

10435588_10152981740552425_232678502499090611_n.jpg

I want to like this. Really. There's just something about the plexi section that just doesn't quite cut it for me.

Not your bag for sure. Its kind of a Swiss army knife for a guy like me though....I have all of the stuff that makes me happy on my big rig but sometimes I just need something simple to get the job done. Or to just get through the night.

I'm just not thrilled with the tech 21 stuff. Historically it sounds ok. And the Talkbass guys love the VT pedals. But I've yet to be overwhelmed.

Yup it sounds like a Sans Amp. Great for a backup or a crosscountry flight when all you have is a guitar and board (what it was designed for). As for using as a regular rig, no - not my sound.

Right, but I still need a tuner...sometimes a wireless....and then power....add a chorus, maybe a phaser or trem...then you're back to lugging around a pedalboard. Then, I don't have to compromise on sounds. Plus you still need to carry cables and accessories. Seriously, who flies to gigs with JUST a guitar?

Like I said, I really want to like it enough to get one, but it's just not enough, I think.

Right, but I still need a tuner...sometimes a wireless....and then power....add a chorus, maybe a phaser or trem...then you're back to lugging around a pedalboard. Then, I don't have to compromise on sounds. Plus you still need to carry cables and accessories. Seriously, who flies to gigs with JUST a guitar?

Like I said, I really want to like it enough to get one, but it's just not enough, I think.
I know someone who flys to gigs in Europe without even an instrument and apparently whomever they are using for his backup band has to provide him with an entire rig. I just couldn't live that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A better backup, imo, is finding a crate power block - 150w and they work well with pedals and provide a decent overdrive sound. In a pinch you could plug into what ever speaker/cab you were using a finish a gig.

The thing about the flyrig is that it doesn't have a power-amp section (at least that's my understanding), so you need to amplify it somehow and pipe it out some speakers. So it is, again imo, a large pedal you'll be carting along with all the rest of your pedals - and you'll still need an amp.

Just running it direct into a PA, may, or may not sound that good.

Totally different animal, but I have tried running my Tonelab w/its amp emulation direct into a PA, and it sounded OK, not great - wouldn't want to gig with it unless I absolutely had to.

I've used a SansAmp GT-2 a lot off and on, both for recording and into a PA with a keyboard amp for stage volume. I think they have a lot of good ideas as far as being able to get usable sounds from a compact setup.

The cleans were the best I've ever had for a live sound.

The crunch sounds were great provided there was enough reverb to soften them. With a drier sound, there's something in the treble that starts to fatigue me. In small doses, it's a fantastic face-ripping distortion sound.

I don't have that kind of juice, Mark! And, I agree -- it'd be tough playing gear you don't know.

Back