Teachers, what are your favorite books to teach from?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
What are your favorite books or other instructional materials?

What do you find indispensable for teaching?

Do you spend much time transcribing in lessons or do you have a library of the more common things that you can copy for your students?

books I use for teaching and learning

I started playing music just like everyone. I wanted to play music because I thought girls would dig me. Well I was wrong and decided to be a blues and roots musician. I would go out and see guys like little charlie and the nightcats and wanted to sound like little charlie. When I spoke to him he said buy the MIckey Baker Jazz and hot guitar book. The book was written in the 1950's and is still in print. Every week their is a lesson. When I toured with candye kane and had idle time in the hotel room I would go through a lesson. My chord vocabulary and my understanding of chord substitution comes from this book. Other than listening to tons of music I owe alot to mickey baker. I make a point to have mark order this book when my students want to learn jazz chording and soloing. talk soon yer pal tommy

What are your favorite books or other instructional materials?

Foundations for Guitar. :embarrassed:

What do you find indispensable for teaching?

Ketel One.

Do you spend much time transcribing in lessons or do you have a library of the more common things that you can copy for your students?

Classics are usually ready, but newer songs I have to pick out frequently. :(

Ass kisser. :embarrassed:

It really is, though. Almost everything else I use for beginners are exercised I've written or appropriated and modified from former instructors of mine. Most of my students aren't advanced enough to work out of other methods and such.

It really is, though. Almost everything else I use for beginners are exercised I've written or appropriated and modified from former instructors of mine. Most of my students aren't advanced enough to work out of other methods and such.

Thanks, then :)

"Foundations" came from me not liking what I had for available method books myself.

I've had great luck with the Watch & Learn books. I really dig their Theory for guitar players book.

I keep a huge library of old Guitar World magazines to mine for tabs.

I try and avoid wasting the students time while I tab out stuff I don't already know but I will if necessary.

Every time I come across a magazine with what I think might be useful in the studio I grab it and have it ready.

It's all case by case though. I try not and fit everyone to the same exact curriculum.

Bump!

I'm still using the Ross Bolton Funk book in addition to my own. The Guitar Fretboard Workbook has gone by the wayside though since I have so much of my own material worked up now.

- Stick Control: George Lawrence Stone
- Syncopation: Ted Reed
- Basic Drumming: Joel Rothman
- Encyclopedia of Groove: Bobby Rock

Back