TC Electronic Flashback... now THIS is what a delay pedal is supposed to be like!!!

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
Mods can move this to the pedal forum if need be but I wanted to make sure that people like Howie saw this.

flashback.jpg

Build and Design: All metal (I hate plastic cases) and the switches are strong enough to not break under crazy stomping but are smooth enough to use barefoot. Knobs are large and easy to read while standing over it with a mic stand. I like the location of the loop level (you can adjust it with the edge of your foot along the side of the pedal) but there is a jack for an expression pedal that can be assigned to any of the controls

Function: This basically covers every delay type that you normally need (slapback, tape, long echo, reverse, ping pong, analog, modulated) and several others that I never even knew I needed. My favorite is the "dynamic" which ducks the volume down while you're playing but then brings the repeats up when your playing stops. It works great, applies the effect without making it sound messy and never sounds cheap or "digital". Once you dial in a setting you like, hold down A, B, or C and it stores it in that slot. Change the settings and store another combination. Three per delay type all the way around.

I love that you can start using it without reading the manual. No crazy menus to scroll through with little fucking LED displays for patch numbers. Just button A, B, and C for each delay sound and the TAP TEMPO button. What's cool is on each delay type ANY of knob settings from mild to wild can be configured and then stored in the A,B,C buttons. (Yes Howie... A could be no modulation, B could be subtle modulation with longer repeats, and C could be a completely different combination of low repeats, louder volume, and crazy modulation.... whatever you want) I'm loving that I can set delays that sound great for my Clean sound, Dirty Sound, and for Solos and toggle seamlessly between them. And of course the Tap can be used on the fly. There's also a time/subdivide switch if you need to set the tap to do faster note combinations or tremolo type sounds.

The Looper: This looper is perfect for practicing and for those one or two songs a night where you need to keep a riff going to solo over. Record with button A, then button B kicks the loop off again while stopping recording. A again will allow overdubbing and layering. The C button will run through the loop one more time and then stop. Great for song endings or killing the loop at the end of the solo without you touching it, so you can have your foot ready to change solo tone to rhythm. The D button acts as an UNDO or hold it to clear the loop altogether. Also whatever delay settings you turn the other knobs to work along with the looper. It's not an and/or proposition.

There are other things you can do with it (Toneprint slots, USB, expression pedal, MIDI) but it doesn't feel like one of those gawdawful multi-effects pedals with the little tweaky knobs and buttons. It feels like a classic knob-based pedal you throw on your board and run with.

Last edited:
face it. there's nobody like me. :tongue:

as for the switches, there are some on TGP who do not like the Flashback specifically because they use proprietary switches that are not as sturdy as your typical 3pdt switch, and have had issues with the replacement cost (i want to say $70 per switch, but don't quote me).

as for the unit, i'm sure it sounds great. it just doesn't have the controls i would like. if i were really going to go all out on a delay/looper, i'd probably break down and get the Strymon Timeline. but i don't need it. as it stands, i'm on the waiting list for the Catalinbread Echorec and keeping tabs on the Way Huge Supa Puss volume issue, which is allegedly being fixed.

Looks like you are using the 2290 setting. It fantastic for crystal clear tones and one huge pedal.

Congrats on the HNDPD :thu:

face it. there's nobody like me. :tongue:

as for the switches, there are some on TGP who do not like the Flashback specifically because they use proprietary switches that are not as sturdy as your typical 3pdt switch, and have had issues with the replacement cost (i want to say $70 per switch, but don't quote me).

as for the unit, i'm sure it sounds great. it just doesn't have the controls i would like. if i were really going to go all out on a delay/looper, i'd probably break down and get the Strymon Timeline. but i don't need it. as it stands, i'm on the waiting list for the Catalinbread Echorec and keeping tabs on the Way Huge Supa Puss volume issue, which is allegedly being fixed.

Fwiw I tried one of the regular Flashbacks the other day. It does indeed sound VERY good. :thu:
I want one. :embarrassed:

They feel like the same switches that are on the Nova and all other TC pedals. They have a much smoother travel and less "click". I would bet that they become much more commonplace switches and become cheaper/easier to get.

They feel like the same switches that are on the Nova and all other TC pedals. They have a much smoother travel and less "click". I would bet that they become much more commonplace switches and become cheaper/easier to get.

Possibly. More likely is that TC is keeping the price high so you have to buy a new unit.

Yep, same switch as on my Dark Matter pedal. I like it. :)

Thinking about this switch for a couple of hours brought me to a few thoughts.

1) All Switches wear out.
2) How often does one switch a delay in or out?
3) What do you predict the life efficientcy of the switch to be?
4) How long do you expect to keep the item until you flip it?
5) Are you hard on your equipment?

These are just some random thoughts that you are more likely to enjoy the product for a while before failure happens.

Worst case scenario is that in 5-10 years, you would probably replace it.

Update:

So after two days of using the pedal, I thought I'd open up the manual and see what else it can do.

Using an expression pedal, you can set Delay Time, Feedback, or Delay Level to YOUR minimum and maximum for each of the A/B/C presets. That's basically like having SIX (or more) presets because instead of changing from A to B for different parts of a song, the expression pedal could do it all on one patch.

Hey, sorry to bump such an oldie. I was just curious how the Flashback X4 worked out in the long haul. With the new band situation I'm going to need more delay flexibility than I currently have (as well as maybe a rotary pedal that likes my Pinnacle, but that's a different issue) and this is looking killer.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I've got the regular midget version and I do like it. It took a while to get on board with the way that unit handles setting the tempo ("tap tempo" doesn't apply), but I like it very much now.

But that monster sure looks like fun.

I've got the regular midget version and I do like it. It took a while to get on board with the way that unit handles setting the tempo ("tap tempo" doesn't apply), but I like it very much now.

But that monster sure looks like fun.
Yeah, this band has some ethereal stuff going on (keyboardist is a big Rick Wright fan) and having a few presets would be awesome.

I ended up selling this one because I was using the looper function the most. I now have the TC Ditto X2 looper and a Mooer delay.

I... Might... Use the looper. I'm more interested in the various delays and the presets. Would you say my $186.33 at Amazon would be well spent on the X4 for that?

munch0
I've been looking at both the regular Flashback and the X4.
I'm sitting here with the X4 in my Amazon cart... Kinda trying not to buy it without anybody telling me that it's worth it. LOL

Reactions: Tig
Back