Talk me out of getting a mesa roadster

And the Dr. Z suggestion kind of hits on the big picture issue; do I want one multi function amp that does reasonable versions of lots of sounds, or a single channel amp that does one or two things really well. Hmmmm.

Fwiw, I don't play in a band, and I don't plan on it. I play at home 99 percent of the time, with a few jam session things a year. I also don't record music. I just play for fun. Just tossing that out there if anyone has advice.

Last edited:
And the Dr. Z suggestion kind of hits on the big picture issue; do I want one multi function amp that does reasonable versions of lots of sounds, or a single channel amp that does one or two things really well. Hmmmm.

Fwiw, I don't play in a band, and I don't plan on it. I play at home 99 percent of the time, with a few jam session things a year. I also don't record music. I just play for fun. Just tossing that out there if anyone has advice.

This is why I asked the question. I think you should get what you want, regardless of whatever suggestions we have here.

I'm having major GAS right now for just about everything. Guitars, effects, amps, you name it. A Dr. Z Maz 18NR combo is at the very top of that list. But with day care costs and whatnot, there won't be any gear buying for quite some time. I've managed to get around it to this point by changing which input I use on my Allen Encore and dirtying up the sound. Next is to fix the hum issue on my back-up Ibanez, so I don't buy a new guitar.

Back