Talk me out of getting a mesa roadster

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
I've wanted a Mesa boogie roadster for a long time. I want to sell my old Carvin x100b and maybe my Mesa dc3 and put some cash in to get a Mesa boogie roadster. The Mesa seems to do everything I want in an amp. Someone talk me out of this! Fast! Feel fee to use old cliches like not cutting through the mix and lack of organic bloom.

I might just do it. There is a combo 212 fairly close to me on the used market. It is pretty recent and minty new.

What does it do that your DC3 doesn't?

I like the duplication of the clean channel across two channels, so I can have a mki from my dc3 on channel 1 and a Marshall style crunch on channel two. Or a fender tweed on 1 and a mki clean on two. Three and four cover my dc3, but with more range. One can be a lower gain sound and one can do real high gain Mesa stuff. My dc3 can do some of that, but not all of it. I also like the separate reverb settings per channel. And it smells newer.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. New Mesa smell.

hqdefault.jpg

I also like the ability to switch rectifiers, which my dc3 can't, especially on the tweed and Marshall sounds where a tube rectifier really sounds right. My main complaints on the dc3 were a lack of a British crunch and a more tweed fender option, so the roadster seems like all of my old amp, plus what I am missing....and with even more options.

I like the duplication of the clean channel across two channels, so I can have a mki from my dc3 on channel 1 and a Marshall style crunch on channel two. Or a fender tweed on 1 and a mki clean on two. Three and four cover my dc3, but with more range. One can be a lower gain sound and one can do real high gain Mesa stuff. My dc3 can do some of that, but not all of it. I also like the separate reverb settings per channel. And it smells newer.
I also like the ability to switch rectifiers, which my dc3 can't, especially on the tweed and Marshall sounds where a tube rectifier really sounds right. My main complaints on the dc3 were a lack of a British crunch and a more tweed fender option, so the roadster seems like all of my old amp, plus what I am missing....and with even more options.

giphy.gif

I could see my mind leaning towards an marshall JVM410 that is even closer, and a bit of a better deal. It seems a lot of my favorite music to play is based on that marshall sound. Maybe I should ignore the mesa attempt at a plexi channel mode and go for something that has two channels of plexi mode and lots more high gain stuff.

Don't forget to buy a 7-string, some Adidas jump suits and some Limp Bizkit albums on your way home... :embarrassed:

Back